The Student Room Group

Can't shake the feeling im doing the wrong thing at uni

I went to the University of X last year to study law. I was unhappy there and felt homesick, and I knew I didn't want to be there. I lasted until February before deciding life is too short to be miserable, and moved back home. I went into full time employment and applied to 2 universities close to me back home. I had a strong preference of which one I wanted to go to - I had been deciding between that and X originally, both being highly ranked for law, but ended up choosing X because it was a few places higher and was further from home and everyone said the independence would be good. In retrospect I know choosing based off of rankings was stupid. I got rejected due to the fact that X could not provide me with proof of marks achieved in my exams during my time there. The Uni I applied to stated they needed to receive documentation of my marks in order to accept my application, however X could not provide me with them. I conversed with my personal tutor from my time there and other faculty members and over the course of 2 months none of them could provide me with these results. In return I got rejected from my ideal uni.

I was gutted, but didn't want to let it show. So I pretended to everyone that I didn't care in the slightest and was happy to go to the other Uni. I think I even managed to convince myself. I'm here now. I moved in two days ago and I can't shake the feeling that this is wrong and I'm doing the wrong thing with my life. I'm doing law here too, as I genuinely enjoyed the course and my studies at my last university. Classes haven't even started yet and I just feel like I made the wrong choice regarding everything. I could've went to my ideal Uni for another course, ie, history, english, business management, etc, but they said as Law was so competitive they really couldn't accept me without the records of my examinations from my last uni. I chose to still do law, but at the other Uni.

I went to visit my friend yesterday, who goes to my ideal uni, and the entire time my heart felt heavy. The campus is so beautiful and everything about it just reminded me why I had wanted to go there so badly instead of the uni I'm at now. I felt regrets for choosing to still do Law at the cost of going to a university I didn't really want to go to.

I looked, and saw my ideal uni actually has spots open in clearing for law still, and was considering applying. My A-levels aren't an issue as their requirement is AAA and I have A*A*A, and I'm just curious if they'd be more lenient regarding the marks from my last uni, since it's through clearing instead of the UCAS process.

But then if I do get accepted I don't know what I'd do? I wouldn't be able to get accommodation, which is in theory fine as the uni is a 30 minute drive from my house so I could easily commute, but I do enjoy the independent living and the social aspect of being in student accommodation.

The uni I'm currently at and my ideal uni are in the same city, however my contract at this accommodation is only applicable if I'm still at this Uni. So I'd have to move home and commute, which would impact my social life too.

I was so busy the past 2 days that I didn't have time to dwell on any of it. I spent last night with my boyfriend who was telling me all about his course and how much he's enjoying where he is and how excited he is, and hearing it made me feel nauseous because I feel the complete opposite. Today is the first day I've been entirely alone since I've been here and it's all I've thought about all day.

I guess I don't know what to do. If it's worth applying for the clearing spot and commuting for the sake of going to the Uni I really want to go to, or if I just continue studying at the uni im at and keep my accommodation. I mean, even if I apply for the clearing spot there's no guarantee I'll get it so I don't even want to get my hopes up. Is it worth doing?
Original post by Anonymous
I went to the University of X last year to study law. I was unhappy there and felt homesick, and I knew I didn't want to be there. I lasted until February before deciding life is too short to be miserable, and moved back home. I went into full time employment and applied to 2 universities close to me back home. I had a strong preference of which one I wanted to go to - I had been deciding between that and X originally, both being highly ranked for law, but ended up choosing X because it was a few places higher and was further from home and everyone said the independence would be good. In retrospect I know choosing based off of rankings was stupid. I got rejected due to the fact that X could not provide me with proof of marks achieved in my exams during my time there. The Uni I applied to stated they needed to receive documentation of my marks in order to accept my application, however X could not provide me with them. I conversed with my personal tutor from my time there and other faculty members and over the course of 2 months none of them could provide me with these results. In return I got rejected from my ideal uni.

I was gutted, but didn't want to let it show. So I pretended to everyone that I didn't care in the slightest and was happy to go to the other Uni. I think I even managed to convince myself. I'm here now. I moved in two days ago and I can't shake the feeling that this is wrong and I'm doing the wrong thing with my life. I'm doing law here too, as I genuinely enjoyed the course and my studies at my last university. Classes haven't even started yet and I just feel like I made the wrong choice regarding everything. I could've went to my ideal Uni for another course, ie, history, english, business management, etc, but they said as Law was so competitive they really couldn't accept me without the records of my examinations from my last uni. I chose to still do law, but at the other Uni.

I went to visit my friend yesterday, who goes to my ideal uni, and the entire time my heart felt heavy. The campus is so beautiful and everything about it just reminded me why I had wanted to go there so badly instead of the uni I'm at now. I felt regrets for choosing to still do Law at the cost of going to a university I didn't really want to go to.

I looked, and saw my ideal uni actually has spots open in clearing for law still, and was considering applying. My A-levels aren't an issue as their requirement is AAA and I have A*A*A, and I'm just curious if they'd be more lenient regarding the marks from my last uni, since it's through clearing instead of the UCAS process.

But then if I do get accepted I don't know what I'd do? I wouldn't be able to get accommodation, which is in theory fine as the uni is a 30 minute drive from my house so I could easily commute, but I do enjoy the independent living and the social aspect of being in student accommodation.

The uni I'm currently at and my ideal uni are in the same city, however my contract at this accommodation is only applicable if I'm still at this Uni. So I'd have to move home and commute, which would impact my social life too.

I was so busy the past 2 days that I didn't have time to dwell on any of it. I spent last night with my boyfriend who was telling me all about his course and how much he's enjoying where he is and how excited he is, and hearing it made me feel nauseous because I feel the complete opposite. Today is the first day I've been entirely alone since I've been here and it's all I've thought about all day.

I guess I don't know what to do. If it's worth applying for the clearing spot and commuting for the sake of going to the Uni I really want to go to, or if I just continue studying at the uni im at and keep my accommodation. I mean, even if I apply for the clearing spot there's no guarantee I'll get it so I don't even want to get my hopes up. Is it worth doing?

Hi there,

I am so sorry that this is so hard for you at the moment. Choosing universities sometimes feels really straightforward and then you get there and you think you have chosen wrong. I was lucky not to feel this way with Sunderland but I know some friends who go to other unis who have experienced this. I think it is important to go with your gut, if there are clearing places in your ideal uni I would say go for it, you never know what might come of it. But if there are no places, you could try the uni you are accepted into for Law and see if you settle in well. I know alot of my friends didn't like their uni at the start but once they settled in and found some friends they were really happy with their choice.

I would say, congratulations on getting into uni in the first place and I am sure that you will find what is right for you.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending