The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just to chip in, Statistics modules are SO mind-numbingly boring yet actually quite easy. I'm speaking from experience after only doing S1 for a few months though. I haven't paid any attention in lessons due to the absolutely boring nature of it but going through it at home, Imve realised that it's pretty easy.
Original post by Gaeilgeoir
Yippee! I coined a phrase. :tongue:

Same problem here in relation to the test. Everyone else said "It was ok. I'm happy with it.". I sure didn't. :rolleyes:
The interview was better though so we'll see.
I really hope you get an offer too. Though if your heart is set on LSE, it's unlikely I'll see you, whether I get an offer or not. :wink:
Wow, the day before the deadline? That would be seriously nerve-wrecking. I've got one offer so far but the universities I really want (Edinburgh and Cambridge) still haven't made offers.

Great! I also eagerly anticipate them. I do maths and physics too so I should be able to join, no matter what the topic. But then, my mind may become too frazzled. :tongue:
Sorry to hear about your will to do chemistry. We get much more flexibility here in Ireland. I'm doing eight subjects for my final exam. :O
It's going to be quite strenuous but there are more options open. :smile:

Yes, I agree. The word "rah" is one I had never heard before until I signed up for this website! Is it pronounced as it's written or is it more of a posh "raw" sound? Forgive my ignorance. :wink:

I wouldn't worry too much about Kings or any other university. You've applied to some really good ones and you'll succeed, wherever you end up. :smile:
And anyway, NatScies and Mathematicians are friends, right? So, if we do both end up in Cambridge, see you there. :tongue: :biggrin:

I've always wanted to coin a phrase! How do people do it? :biggrin:

Hmmm, maybe they were all trying to play psychological games and make everyone else nervous (in which case they succeeded D<). Well LSE and Cambridge are sort of joint (ish, okay LSE falls slightly below Cambridge but I'm ignoring that fact at the moment).
Yeah, and it was a rejection as well! That's just cruel! I will not be a happy bunny if they do that to me!

Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one! I'd never heard of the word rah either before TSR and that's with going to a private school!

:biggrin: Of course, we like to read New Scientist together and have friendly debates about the purity of maths vs. chemistry!

Original post by Schnecke
I still can't believe I was stupid enough to go for one of the ones who recommended physics :facepalm:. Not even looking it up should be enough of a basis for a rejection :rolleyes:.

No! I'm sure you impressed at interview though, and they wouldn't have invited you for interview if they didn't think you could cope with the course! :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jonnyboy1993
Oh the 6th is going to be horrible

Do you reckon the post will deliver on time this year?? :unsure:

I have a double free that morning, I'm debating whether or not to stay at home that morning or go in and distract myself... *bites nails*
My postman doesn't come till around lunchtime anyway.
Does anyone know why they haven't sent them out already? I mean, they've clearly already decided.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
That's enough for an A*, isn't it? If they say otherwise then their ineptitude is pretty incredible. :p:

Yeah it was. They didn't say at the time. I mean they didn't really understand which modules you needed 90+ in, whether it was an average of 90 or 90+ in both.

Original post by cpdavis
Well for the past 5 years, they have had a 40% of maths acceptance, which surprisingly is one on the highest amounts. On the other made Trinity and Magdalene have about 25%-30%. In addition, I fell in love with Emma, so this point was a bonus IMO

That's better than History as a subject :frown:
Original post by Kobie
well! i'd be more than happy to firm that :sexface:

i may not meet the challenging conditions, but someone had to say it :biggrin:

Hey, my course is selective. :sexface:

I'm all out of UCAS related innuendoes :frown:
Original post by mintaero25

I have a double free that morning, I'm debating whether or not to stay at home that morning or go in and distract myself... *bites nails*

I've got a free as well and I think that I'll stay at home until I've got the letter.
Reply 3667
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I've got a free as well and I think that I'll stay at home until I've got the letter.

I was going to do the same thing lol but my letter came the day before it was supposed to - so I got a call from home half way through the day saying "the letter is here" when I was not at all expecting it lol.

Best of luck mate; with all your applications not just Cambs. :top:
Original post by mintaero25

I have a postman like that as well, the post arrives at almost exactly 12 every day. But the letters will probably be sent first class and it just depends on how fast the royal mail is, I wouldn't put too much faith in the royal mail though :rolleyes: Apparently some colleges (including Trinity) send the letters to arrive on the 5th, but I don't know if this is true, I kinda hope it is, I really want to know...

I think it's best just to distract yourself, you might as well get some revision done or something, at least that way you are using your time more productively, it's not like being there when it arrives will have any effect on the decision, but I know exactly how you feel :afraid:

Original post by neesh123
Does anyone know why they haven't sent them out already? I mean, they've clearly already decided.

It's because the pool is held on the 4th - 6th and so they don't want to send out decisions until the pool is underway I guess :confused: But it would be better to have heard by now, but it's not like it'll make any difference. I like having some hope for as long as I can...
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Just to chip in, Statistics modules are SO mind-numbingly boring yet actually quite easy. I'm speaking from experience after only doing S1 for a few months though. I haven't paid any attention in lessons due to the absolutely boring nature of it but going through it at home, Imve realised that it's pretty easy.

IMO mechanics is far and away the easiest*. Granted I've only taken m1, but it is all essentially SohCahToa and plugging numbers into learned equations.

*of the applied modules. I like pure best, but I think I'm in a minority.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
IMO mechanics is far and away the easiest*. Granted I've only taken m1, but it is all essentially SohCahToa and plugging numbers into learned equations.

That's pretty much true for all of mechanics (at least so far - up to M3) The equations just get more complicated, and greater in number and the angles become trickier to find.

And pure is obviously the best *Hi Fives*

Haha, you're definitely in a minority. I LOVE M1 (was actually tempted to do M3 instead of S1 for FM), but I think the Mechanics is actually the hardest of the applied modules. IMO, it's the only module where you actually have to think whilst working out problems.

Original post by DJkG.1
I was going to do the same thing lol but my letter came the day before it was supposed to - so I got a call from home half way through the day saying "the letter is here" when I was not at all expecting it lol.

Best of luck mate; with all your applications not just Cambs. :top:

Aaargh, I'd be so freaked out if that were to happen to me! Especially since my parents would most likely open it and tell me the decision.

Thank you SO much for the support and everything, man. I know that I've thanked you more than enough times (and given you tasty brownies) but you genuinely are the best. I'm happy that I have three awesome offers, but the Cam offer would be the icing on the cake. :smile:
Hey, my course is selective. :sexface:

I'm all out of UCAS related innuendoes :frown:

Unless of course she feels she is over-qualified and that her grades outweigh your standard offer. In which case she could go through extra to see if she could present herself to an establishment that is more prestigious, possibly better endowed, and with more impressive fellow(s). :sexface:

Unrelated to this, but from your other post - I swear everyone prefers pure don't they?
Original post by Felix101
Unless of course she feels she is over-qualified and that her grades outweigh your standard offer. In which case she could go through extra to see if she could present herself to an establishment that is more prestigious, possibly better endowed, and with more impressive fellow(s). :sexface:

:rofl: :borat:

Unrelated to this, but from your other post - I swear everyone prefers pure don't they?

Nah, I prefer Mechanics. It's more fun. :biggrin:

I think members would have worked better than fellows.

On the maths, I think most people prefer what is easiest/ what they understand. Most people don't understand/can't do pure maths. I don't know for sure though, It's not a discussion I have with many people at college. 'Which maths modules do you prefer?' is not popular topic of conversation ( :frown: )

Unrelated but....HAVE SOME CAMBRIDGE HISTORY LOVE! :biggrin:

You're most definitely not in the minority! I'm pretty sure that most people prefer pure. I with you on this. :cool:
Reply 3677

THIS. :sexface:

although... fellows? i'm sorry, not sure if I want to go after anybody's supermodel ex :ahee:
bit of a strained link there felix! :yep:

yeah everyone does prefer pure. I never minded mechanics either but eh, the M1 exam was an unprecedented disaster so that's cursed it a bit now.
Original post by Kobie
THIS. :sexface:

Bah. I thought you liked my endowment.
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
You're most definitely not in the minority! I'm pretty sure that most people prefer pure. I with you on this. :cool:

:borat:
Though I must say, I'm quite looking forward to DE. I guess calculus would count as pure, but it isn't a pure module!

Latest

Trending

Trending