The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

5 books mentioned in my PS and SAQ! :eek3:
Reply 1181
Eugh I bunch of my so called friends were giving me crap today for actually caring about applying. 'Why you not coming out tonight', 'You never come out any more' and just general moaning about how I don't have my priorities straight. Sorry I actually care about something and have something to aim for. Not my fault the rest of you aren't ambitious what so ever and wouldn't mind never moving away from here.

Things like this are the reason that I sometimes can't wait to move away and meet people a bit more like me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lyam
Vivaldi is beautiful (well, his music is anyway!) Have you had your interview yet? :smile:

I know what you mean

no, having it on Wednesday really excited about it :biggrin:

You?
Original post by Doughnuts!!

How well do you know them? What you going to use this weekend doing?
Original post by Lulope
Eugh I bunch of my so called friends were giving me crap today for actually caring about applying. 'Why you not coming out tonight', 'You never come out any more' and just general moaning about how I don't have my priorities straight. Sorry I actually care about something and have something to aim for. Not my fault the rest of you aren't ambitious what so ever and wouldn't mind never moving away from here.

Things like this are the reason that I sometimes can't wait to move away and meet people a bit more like me.

:hugs: don't worry don't let them bother you, don't let anyone distract you from your main goal, to do well in the interview :biggrin:
Reply 1185
Original post by Lulope

haha i seriously relate to this :P
mentioned 0 books, but NewScientist which I read anyway
feels good man
Reply 1187
Original post by cpdavis
:hugs: don't worry don't let them bother you, don't let anyone distract you from your main goal, to do well in the interview :biggrin:

Thanks (: I just wish that, even if they don't understand why I care, they could still support me.
Reply 1188
Original post by Felix101
Your forget where my local area is :tongue:. Here's to hoping Downing wont ask that...or maybe not, seeing as to how I've thought about it already :wink:. Yeah they probably will, maybe the second lot even secretly liked you, but didn't want to let on as such.

Me too, but, not really expecting anything. That way at least I might get a nice surprise (come on Monday, that would make me feel so much better about the Cambridge interviews...)

McDonalds? They don't even sell cake! I jest, it's as good a place as any. I'm still up for standing in rose crescent, awesomefacing everyone who comes past and trying to get a response...:awesome:!

i'll be there. :awesome:
Original post by Lulope

I'm getting the same as well. Just ignore them, in the end you'll be going to a better university than them! :hugs:
Reply 1190
Original post by Jing_jing
I'm getting the same as well. Just ignore them, in the end you'll be going to a better university than them! :hugs:

Aw, I feel for you too (: I don't know what it is about living in the West of Scotland but no one has any ambitions what so ever. Glasgow's considered the best university in the world and if you get in there, you're a genius. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Glasgow, I'd love to go there, but I'm under no illusions that it's not in the same league as other unis. And no one ever moves away! I know of three people from the school that have moved away for uni and that's it.

I think it must just be one of those days :rolleyes:
Reply 1191
Original post by mel3
I don't want to sound overly pessimistic, but the admissions tutors are not the perceived threat anyway. It's the whole situation that is scarry. The process of proving oneself worthy.
In a way we use Cambridge to deny our mortality. We try to identify ourselves with something great, serving as means to giver our lives a greater 'cosmic significance'. By devoting one's time to academic studies, one attains the chance of becoming part of a "mythos" or the so called 'academic religion', which might survive much longer, as a symbolic existence is not restricted by the finitude we encounter in our blood-pumping, muscle-contracting animal bodies.
It's this human existential dilemma that the interview gives rise to. Many associate it with the junction deciding about one's life, thus becoming naturally scared.
The realization that 'cosmic significance' can be achieved in many other ways is the best way to alleviate the pressure from that interview. If you get in it's great, if you don't just move on.
Always remeber Epicurus: "Happy is Good"

With that I wish everyone the best of luck for their interviews.

Cheers
Maximilian

amen to that.
you'll breeze into cambridge if you can philosophise about the humble admissions process as deeply as that :tongue:
Original post by cpdavis
How well do you know them? What you going to use this weekend doing?

I know the majority of them pretty well, but the main one is a 3rd year undergrad book with very complicated arguments! Unfortunately, the 3rd year undergrad book makes up most of my PS. :eek:

I've been doing some intensive rereading the past few days so I'm gonna spend my weekend relaxing and casually rereading some stuff.

Overbookage has been worrying me too...:redface:

Original post by Kobie
i'll be there. :awesome:

:awesome: awesomesauce :awesome:
I know the majority of them pretty well, but the main one is a 3rd year undergrad book with very complicated arguments! Unfortunately, the 3rd year undergrad book makes up most of my PS. :eek:

I've been doing some intensive rereading the past few days so I'm gonna spend my weekend relaxing and casually rereading some stuff.

It was a second year undergrad book when you told me :holmes:
Original post by Felix101
Overbookage has been worrying me too...:redface:

How many did you put down?

I'm really hoping that they don't grill us. :frown:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It was a second year undergrad book when you told me :holmes:

I found out that it was actually third! :zomg:
Reply 1197
any ideas anyone, on what the engineering physics/maths written exam is like at the interview?

Any info regarding this, would be absolutely appreciated!

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Lulope
Aw, I feel for you too (: I don't know what it is about living in the West of Scotland but no one has any ambitions what so ever. Glasgow's considered the best university in the world and if you get in there, you're a genius. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with Glasgow, I'd love to go there, but I'm under no illusions that it's not in the same league as other unis. And no one ever moves away! I know of three people from the school that have moved away for uni and that's it.

I think it must just be one of those days :rolleyes:

I'm really sorry to hear that, just think if all goes well you';ll be at one of the best unis in the world :biggrin:

I personally think that they probably won't go into too much depth, as it is quite intense stuff that 3rd years would be doing (so they would be impressed by just that :biggrin: ), can I ask, how many interviews are you having

Latest

Trending

Trending