The Student Room Group

what do you think of international students??

Hi there!!!
I am apllying for UK uni ,but honestly i am a bit scared about attitude towards international students:confused:
I would like to join some student unions, however ,English is not my native language and i might not understand student slang so i don't want to feel like an utter moron:biggrin:someone told me that Eng students usually snub international folks and they never really fit in.(outsaiders)
SO tell me guys what do you think of international students ?????!!!:redface:
Reply 1
Damn foreigners, coming to our universities, taking our places.... :rant:

Nah, jk. I don't see why they should be thought of differently to any other student. They are people after all, they don't walk around with an "international" tag on all the time.
Reply 2
Where are you from?
Well, there are loads in any uni. You'll generally find students to be more tolerant than any other sector of the population as well.
if they make an effort, it doesn't make a difference if they're international students or not.

but a few international students tend to stick to their international groups (which is perfectly understandable), it just means very few other students ever get to know them
Well ,I am from Hungary...does it makes any difference?:biggrin:
Original post by davidmarsh01
Damn foreigners, coming to our universities, taking our places.... :rant:

Yeah,i am not very keen to hear this day by day:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by whereareyoustaring
Well ,I am from Hungary...does it makes any difference?:biggrin:

Yes- I find (and people will slam me for this) that foreigners are generally as sociable (if not more) than the British at university... except for East Asians (who are infamous for sticking to their own groups rigidly and not 'mixing' with the others).

That said, I would advise you to not just stick with other Hungarian people- it will really distance you from everyone else if they see you sticking to one group, with your own language and inside jokes.

Just be friendly and you'll be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending