The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Physics Enemy
What about charities for paedophiles? They are people.

Well they may need help overcoming their urges. I never stated what my position on this subject was, I am merely responding to the OP.
Original post by obins
The WORLD is in a recession because of the way mortgages and banking was handled.. not because the UK was involved in the Iraq/Afghan war.

I realise that, but the situation would be far better if the UK handled it's spendings better and didn't get involved in blowing money in this way. This has contributed to the recession. Any waste contributes and worsens it.

Original post by obins
And you are not a tax payer so your opinion on what should or shouldn't be done with tax money is invalid.

That doesn't make any sense. Why do I need to be a taxpayer to comment on wasteful spending? Do you need to be a pro-footy player to comment on football?If I was a taxpayer my opinion would be exactly the same. I'd probably moan about it even more. I am also agreeing with and re-iterating the views of existing taxpayers that I know.
Whilst I think that war is horrific and should be avoided at all costs, I have the upmost respect for anyone serving in the Armed forces. None of us can imagine the emotional and physical trauma of serving in a combat zone, and I am hugely grateful for them sacrificing their life so that I will hopefully never have to give mine.
Those of you who say soldiers know what they are in for when they sign up are mistaken. Most recruits know about as much about the war as we do-their impressions are gained through the media and accounts from other soldiers.
Also, killing another man in war doesn't make you a murderer. By joining the army you are required to carry out every order without question, and there is no option to back down 'because a civilian might get hurt'. My grandfather was killed in Northern Ireland, and so I see the effect that has on my dad every single day. Did he deserve his death? no, he just signed up because he actually believed in keeping England safe.
So for all you whining about the unjust nature of war, and saying how you don't want to support someone who went to fight in that war, just be glad its not you out there.
Reply 383
I realise that, but the situation would be far better if the UK handled it's spendings better and didn't get involved in blowing money in this way. This has contributed to the recession. Any waste contributes and worsens it.

That doesn't make any sense. Why do I need to be a taxpayer to comment on wasteful spending? Do you need to be a pro-footy player to comment on football?If I was a taxpayer my opinion would be exactly the same. I'd probably moan about it even more. I am also agreeing with and re-iterating the views of existing taxpayers that I know.

Have you ever heard of budgets? The police have had cuts, the Ambulance service.... the army..

Are we out there rioting and smashing up bus stops? No we're ****ing not.

And yeah - to comment on what tax money is spent on you should be contributing to that fund. You don't pay in yet I bet you use the NHS/Police/Benefits/Education provided by tax payer money - you're a leech and your opinion is invalid.

:facepalm: Gibraltar Is not an island.

The naivety of some of the do-gooder "why can't we all just get along" people on here is just amazing.

1) We don't want people bowing at our feet and blowing smoke up our arses, we just want basic respect that you'd give anyone else.

2) There has always been war. I know it makes you upset but it's true. As an advanced nation we have a professional and modern armed services who's job it is to protect national interests both foreign and domestic. Otherwise we'd just sit on our elbows and wait til someone invaded. I'm sure the Polish Cavalry (who had the same "why do we need new weapons?" ideology that some cretins here have) did very well against the German Panzer divisions back in 1939... oh dear.

3) Killing is natural, get used to it. My bacon and sausages that I had for breakfast didn't get artificially created.

4) For all you brainwashed morons who think that the British Army runs around killing Afghan civilians for shiggles: develop an opinion of your own and don't base your entire knowledge about the Afghan campaign on what you read in the tabloids. We are fighting an enemy that USES civilians as weapons, asymmetric warfare where we are playing by strict rules and they have none. How would you like the feeling that every woman or child passing you in the street could have TNT strapped to their chest?

5) We were pretty much welcomed with open arms into Afghanistan by the non-extremist section of the population to fight against our common enemy and continue to be hosted there willingly by them. I don't know where everyone gets this idea that we have invaded a country that didn't want us there!
Reply 385

Technically yes.
Most people who talk about football do it for conversation. If you actually pulled them up and asked them to manage a football team they would fall flat on their feet. Same principle applies here.
Reply 386
Original post by Schleigg
:facepalm: Gibraltar Is not an island.

The naivety of some of the do-gooder "why can't we all just get along" people on here is just amazing.

1) We don't want people bowing at our feet and blowing smoke up our arses, we just want basic respect that you'd give anyone else.

2) There has always been war. I know it makes you upset but it's true. As an advanced nation we have a professional and modern armed services who's job it is to protect national interests both foreign and domestic. Otherwise we'd just sit on our elbows and wait til someone invaded. I'm sure the Polish Cavalry (who had the same "why do we need new weapons?" ideology that some cretins here have) did very well against the German Panzer divisions back in 1939... oh dear.

3) Killing is natural, get used to it. My bacon and sausages that I had for breakfast didn't get artificially created.

4) For all you brainwashed morons who think that the British Army runs around killing Afghan civilians for shiggles: develop an opinion of your own and don't base your entire knowledge about the Afghan campaign on what you read in the tabloids. We are fighting an enemy that USES civilians as weapons, asymmetric warfare where we are playing by strict rules and they have none. How would you like the feeling that every woman or child passing you in the street could have TNT strapped to their chest?

5) We were pretty much welcomed with open arms into Afghanistan by the non-extremist section of the population to fight against our common enemy and continue to be hosted there willingly by them. I don't know where everyone gets this idea that we have invaded a country that didn't want us there!

Hi-Five.
Original post by Ocassus
Technically yes.
Most people who talk about football do it for conversation. If you actually pulled them up and asked them to manage a football team they would fall flat on their feet. Same principle applies here.

There's a difference between asking someone their opinion of a certain player or strategy, compared to managing a team day in day out. I don't see why their opinion is invalid, especially if it's backed up with logic and also agrees with the views of actual pros too.
Reply 388

There's a difference between asking someone their opinion of a certain player or strategy, compared to managing a team day in day out. I don't see why their opinion is invalid, especially if it's backed up with logic and also agrees with the views of actual pros too.

I was merely targeting your analogy. What you say is not fact because it is not backed up with the credentials of somebody who is an expert in that field. The fact is the poster above me has given multiple reasons why we were welcomed into Afghanistan and some of the facts.

Afghanistan is an opinionated matter, it carries too much emotional weight to have an objective stance. You do not know all the facts behind our occupation of Afghanistan [and neither do I] therefore both our opinions are effectively invalid and only based on partial or fragmented evidence.
Original post by obins
Have you ever heard of budgets? The police have had cuts, the Ambulance service.... the army..

Which wouldn't be necessary or as severe if money wasn't wasted.

Original post by obins
Are we out there rioting and smashing up bus stops? No we're ****ing not.

And? ...

Original post by obins
And yeah - to comment on what tax money is spent on you should be contributing to that fund. You don't pay in yet I bet you use the NHS/Police/Benefits/Education provided by tax payer money - you're a leech and your opinion is invalid.

You haven't explained why though, with any logic. You're spouting this based on emotion and bias. The logic and reason is what matters. I am also re-iterating what other taxpayers feel, and I've told you if I payed tax my view is the same.

Also as a leech, I feel I should have a say on what and how much I should be able to leech. You're not one, so you shouldn't comment on this area. :smile:
Original post by Ocassus
I was merely targeting your analogy. What you say is not fact because it is not backed up with the credentials of somebody who is an expert in that field. The fact is the poster above me has given multiple reasons why we were welcomed into Afghanistan and some of the facts.

Afghanistan is an opinionated matter, it carries too much emotional weight to have an objective stance. You do not know all the facts behind our occupation of Afghanistan [and neither do I] therefore both our opinions are effectively invalid and only based on partial or fragmented evidence.

Yes and you didn't target it very well. Nobody has claimed fact they have just given their opinion. An opinion's weight should obviously be used on the logic and evidence they have used. I'd say the odds are stacked in my favour that 'not wasting money on wars' better's a country's finances though.

Our opinion's are all based on publicly held knowledge and they should be seen and interpreted in that light. Doesn't mean that someone privy to all the facts makes a good decision though.

I feel that this discussion (or any) can and will devolve into 'you're not an expert, so you shouldn't comment' and then we'd have to reason whether anyone should talk about anything, unless you're No.1 in that area. Perhaps only a handful of people in the world should be allowed to communicate about anything. I can ignore my mum as she's not the world's best mum.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 391

Yes and you didn't target it very well. Nobody has claimed fact they have just given their opinion. An opinion's weight should obviously be used on the logic and evidence they have used. I'd say the odds are stacked in my favour that 'not wasting money on wars' better's a country's finances though.

Our opinion's are all based on publicly held knowledge and they should be seen and interpreted in that light. Doesn't mean that someone privy to all the facts makes a good decision though.

I feel that this discussion (or any) can and will devolve into 'you're not an expert, so you shouldn't comment' and then we'd have to reason whether anyone should talk about anything, unless you're No.1 in that area. Perhaps only a handful of people in the world should be allowed to communicate about anything. I can ignore my mum as she's not the world's best mum.

An opinions weight is given by evidence. Credibility of evidence can be analyzed through RAVEN Corbet.
Evidence is a major factor in this, and one can not be truly objective about it, especially if one is not privy to all the facts. In short, your opinion means nothing when weighed against that of an expert, even if he is bias, he is still more likely to have other areas of credibility intact because he is aware of all the facts. Clarity.
I have a big problem with the name Help for Heroes, and the general idea that if you join the army you are a hero!

The unfortunate injuries that happen to these people are part and parcel of being a soldier..they know this!

Just because a bomb goes off and they lose there leg does not mean they are a hero..the word would have far more meaning if the "war" was a just one
@ rebecca_george
Right so, would you rather 'your' taxes were 'pissed' away on uneducated people with no desire to ever have a job, or those uneducated people who are willing to give their life for this country?
Hmmm? Tough choice!
What about charities for paedophiles? They are people.

What an absolutely shyte comparison that is, I can't even be bothered to argue with people like you.

And FYI, paedophiles are mentally ill - it's not their fault they are born attracted to young males/ females and while I don't have much sympathy with them I can still feel an ounce of compassion to those who try and fight their illness through counselling and staying away from children. I think you need to reassess your life and your morals.
Original post by space-cowboy
I have a big problem with the name Help for Heroes, and the general idea that if you join the army you are a hero!

The unfortunate injuries that happen to these people are part and parcel of being a soldier..they know this!

Just because a bomb goes off and they lose there leg does not mean they are a hero..the word would have far more meaning if the "war" was a just one

Right, so if you lost your leg, sight and both your arms were do you think you'd be? Claiming money off whoever's fault it was? Well these men don't want to do this - they want to get back on with life as normal as they can. That is what help for heroes is about, and this is why they are called heroes. Just the same as if a civillian looses their leg in a car crash for instance and wants to help others by running a marathon to raise money for charity. People like that are heroes.
Original post by Ocassus
An opinions weight is given by evidence. Credibility of evidence can be analyzed through RAVEN Corbet.
Evidence is a major factor in this, and one can not be truly objective about it, especially if one is not privy to all the facts. In short, your opinion means nothing when weighed against that of an expert, even if he is bias, he is still more likely to have other areas of credibility intact because he is aware of all the facts. Clarity.

It depends on how much evidence is required to make a given assertion, and also the quality of logical reasoning used. Someone could have all the facts infront of them but have bad reasoning skills or be too biased to make a good comment. I/someone may be far more efficient with the evidence at hand. Also, having lots of evidence can be redundant; I don't need all the government's top secret files to make a relatively basic comment on something. If I wish to state precise figures or precise accounts of things, that's a different story.

This also begs the Q why so much rampant discussion and disagreement exists if there are experts out there who can give their opinion. Since the experts also disagree with each other, and there's also disagreement on what constitutes best, we're left in a viscious circle of how to classify opinions quantitavely.
Reply 397

It depends on how much evidence is required to make a given assertion, and also the quality of logical reasoning used. Someone could have all the facts infront of them but have bad reasoning skills or be too biased to make a good comment. I/someone may be far more efficient with the evidence at hand. Also, having lots of evidence can be redundant; I don't need all the government's top secret files to make a relatively basic comment on something. If I wish to state precise figures or precise accounts of things, that's a different story.

This also begs the Q why so much rampant discussion and disagreement exists if there are experts out there who can give their opinion. Since the experts also disagree with each other, and there's also disagreement on what constitutes best, we're left in a viscious circle of how to classify opinions quantitavely.

Exactly, but that is between EXPERTS. The point is that you cannot quantify exactly how or why we are in Afghanistan. You can attack the government going in there all you like, but in the end they will have reasons to justify that considerable amount of expenditure because they are the ones who have been elected by the electorate to fulfill that role. Regardless of what the minority of voters think. This is what we call, democracy.
Original post by ***Frann***
@ rebecca_george
Right so, would you rather 'your' taxes were 'pissed' away on uneducated people with no desire to ever have a job, or those uneducated people who are willing to give their life for this country?
Hmmm? Tough choice!

Not a tough choice really. I'd rather pay for uneducated people to be on the doll or try and get educated/trained, than for them to join a group who go abroad to destroy places and kill people directly/indirectly.
Reply 399
That's a pretty rubbish reason to disagree with them. The state does provide and fund such things for veterens. HFH's is an independent charity that seeks to go a little bit further.

To be honest the OP is a bit rubbish.

Latest

Trending

Trending