The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Glenbot3000
But the fundamental still remains that they are supporting people who are illegally invading countries abroad to the general discontent of their country and murdering their civilians.

care to provide some examples of this? Or are you just going to continue spouting nonsense?
Original post by ryan051991
How would you go around apprehending this guy with a gun?

Ow yeah dude what a great idea we could spend loads of money on helping these psychopaths get to a better state of mind, or even better start a charity for it!
you could donate to that and not H4H since you dont like the h4h

Your point is blatantly juvenile. You're going OT.

And if I'm honest, I would gladly donate to such charities.
Reply 102
Original post by Meus
What's heroic about being shipped into wars that are not only condemned around the world but also back at home? What's heroic about fighting in wars where you don't understand why you're there, or why it's you who must police the streets you've bombed? What's heroic about fighting in a country that's no threat to you?

"They died for their country"

During the Great wars, 14 year old boys would try to muster up the face of an older man just to enlist into the army. Some were sent back home gutted, and others got their wish running around with rifles because they wanted to join in a great struggle in which the entire country was behind. Most these soldiers nowadays joined the Army Forces for a variety of reasons, but I doubt dying for Queen and country was high on that list. Incidentally, those who have come back seem to be amongst the most mild mannered and well-level headed when it comes to their views on these wars, whereas the 'blogosphere' is filled with keyboard patriots who are one day political scholars and the next day military generals giving expert opinion on why we should/can bomb country X, Y and Z; and yet I doubt they'd be found within a 10mile radius of a recruitment centre themselves!

It's not right to place respect and the title of 'hero' on some purely based on the uniform they wear. What defines them is their persona and character, and this engineered sense of nationalism/patriotism that has inflicted some of us in recent years, where we choose to ignore any relevant and moral context, blindly herald this as that, and so on, undermines some of the most deserved and genuine heroes in the past who gave up their lives whilst not drawing a single shed of blood themselves. Heroes are men, women and children who every individual - regardless of race, gender or background - can bow their head to and recognise the inherent human quality of said person.

That isn't to say none of those serving in the Armed Forces do not deserve to be named as heroes, there are some who are amazingly good-hearted and brave individuals, but a random uniform losing a limb does not make him a hero. He is someone who lost a limb in the war. Fighting wars doesn't make you heroic, it's the choices you make in life and the reasons why that do; it's in the person in you, not what you wear.

Even if you do not think they are heroes you must realise that the government does not care about ex soliders at all. Someone has to and thats what this charity does that. People on this forum need to remember that.

Fair enough if you object to the name but it is after all just a name. Its what the charity does that matters without it much more harm than good would be done.
Reply 103
Exactly my point. We should correct it.

Idealism only works on paper.

Until you are able to control people's thoughts, you'll never live in your utopia. And I'm certain I wouldn't want to live there with someone else controlling what I'm thinking about.
Original post by Lewroll
I just noticed something (dont hate me people just an observation)

People say:

'for those who died for our country'

why dont they say:

'for those who killed for our country'

Because this stuff needs to be tied up and sugar-coated in propogandist rhetoric in order for the masses to swallow it up. They go abroad, kill people, come back and then get 'heroic' treatment. I thought England (or any nation) has enough murderers.
I tried to ward away from full-on politics-bashing, but I have to agree. Armistice Day should be just as much about showing anger at incompetent governments as it is remembering dead soldiers.

Well, I don't know about Armistice Day; to me, that would just seem a token gesture and it would probably offend a lot of people. In my view, if you're going to show anger towards the government, do it as many days as possible until the point gets heard. Politics are real.
Original post by Rooster523
care to provide some examples of this? Or are you just going to continue spouting nonsense?

There are videos available that show surrendering civilians shot down. Surveys show public opposition. Perhaps "international condemnation" would be more apt than "illegal". Satisfied?
Reply 107
Original post by Physics Enemy
Because this stuff needs to be tied up and sugar-coated in propogandist rhetoric in order for the masses to swallow it up. They go abroad, kill people, come back and then get 'heroic' treatment. I thought England (or any nation) has enough murderers.

Ha maybe go and look at what support ex soliders have. Guess what you have to look forward to? A massive risk of mental illiness a hightentied risk of being an acholic as you try to deal with the things you saw because no one else will help you.
Your point is blatantly juvenile. You're going OT.

And if I'm honest, I would gladly donate to such charities.

Juvenile? Just because you can't flaw what i said

You would donate to such charities? are you just trying to wind me up?
you would rather donate to possible rapist/pedophile/mass murders that to a charity that helps those who protect your country.
Original post by ANARCHY__
Well, I don't know about Armistice Day; to me, that would just seem a token gesture and it would probably offend a lot of people. In my view, if you're going to show anger towards the government, do it as many days as possible until the point gets heard. Politics are real.

I'm speaking hypothetically. We should be thinking about how wrong warfare is, not just that people fought in it.
There are videos available that show surrendering civilians shot down. Surveys show public opposition. Perhaps "international condemnation" would be more apt than "illegal". Satisfied?

No. Why do you put so much faith in 'legal', save that it suits your argument? What if those who made the laws didn't match up to your perfect objective morality? Would they still be valid, in your view?
Original post by SHABANA
Still a murderer as you murdered somebody, just that you and whoever's child it was etc would feel it was justified.
Also regarding the bit I have bolded - shouldn't we be places like Palestine? The government doesn't do anything to benefit anybody apart from itself. There is obviously a difference between the government and the military, but people who joined the military after the Afghan and Iraq wars just deserve what they get tbh and I don't see why some may expect special treatment once they are back, or get a whole page in a newspaper if they die. What about all the civilians that die?? They don't even get mentioned by their names, just a total number that died.

Who wouldn't see it as justified? If the scenario I pointed out really happened and some guy killed the psycho saving the lives of countless children would you REALLY be like "but yeah he's a murderer no better than the gunman". Really?

No we shouldn't be in places like Palestine because that is in no way comparable. That's a border dispute between two countries not two countries under the thumb of a brutal dictatorship & you'd also be naive and stupid to think Palestine are "innocent" for a lack of a better word.

What kind of special treatment do you believe the returning soldiers expect? They are not divas who demand 24h attention, fancy cars and a mansion. They thought in the interests of our country and government so it's not unreasonable for them to expect some sort of help when they are severely injured on the job. As said earlier none of the soldiers attempt to glorify their actions.

Also this quote:

There are AIDS charities designed to help drug users and former prostitutes who make themselves ill in even less morally dubious ways - should we disapprove of their [the charity's] work too?
Original post by Katt-x
Don't get me wrong, I have the upmost respect for people that do go out to places like Afganistan, and I know the theory behind why we are there. But what good has it really done? From what I can tell there seems to be no real sign of improvement... instead more innocent people are being left injured or worse.

Then you don't know much about the progress we have made do you?

Seeing as Help for Heroes is an organisation for British servicemen and women, would you care to show me some videos of British servicemen/women intentionally murdering civilians before you declare your dislike of the charity?

And what wars are we talking about? Operations in Afghanistan are supported by over 30 countries...The Iraq War had its critics but it was far more worthwhile than the average joe realises.

Perhaps a little grumpy for the somewhat relaxed nature of your posts but forgive me, I've just got off a 14 hour shift :wink:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No. Why do you put so much faith in 'legal', save that it suits your argument? What if those who made the laws didn't match up to your perfect objective morality? Would they still be valid, in your view?

Because countries are built on legalities. And it's inevitable that laws are made by people with different moralities, such is democracy.
Original post by Rooster523
Seeing as Help for Heroes is an organisation for British servicemen and women, would you care to show me some videos of British servicemen/women intentionally murdering civilians before you declare your dislike of the charity?

And what wars are we talking about? Operations in Afghanistan are supported by over 30 countries...The Iraq War had its critics but it was far more worthwhile than the average joe realises.

Perhaps a little grumpy for the somewhat relaxed nature of your posts but forgive me, I've just got off a 14 hour shift :wink:

We all work under the same umbrella, none-the-less. I'm sure there are reports of British servicemen/women murdering the innocent, however it hasn't yet been publicised.
We all work under the same umbrella, none-the-less. I'm sure there are reports of British servicemen/women murdering the innocent, however it hasn't yet been publicised.

So the actions of foreign troops dictates your feelings towards the British armed services?

Saddam Hussein's government murdered hundreds of thousands of his own people whilst Iraq was a member of the UN...as the UN is an umbrella for the large majority of the world's governments, would you offer them the same condemnation?

Anyhow, the acts of a few idiots shouldn't determine your feelings towards the majority; we have murderers in this country but that does not mean everyone you meet is a murderer.
Original post by Aj12
Ha maybe go and look at what support ex soliders have. Guess what you have to look forward to? A massive risk of mental illiness a hightentied risk of being an acholic as you try to deal with the things you saw because no one else will help you.

I meant in terms of society's view and respect for them. I must be missing something, because I'm being told to call someone a hero who volunteers to illegally and selfishly invade other countries, thereby killing innocent people and destroying the place. I can't see how they deserve praise. They could just not join the army and get a different job.
Reply 118
I meant in terms of society's view and respect for them. I must be missing something, because I'm being told to call someone a hero who volunteers to illegally and selfishly invade other countries, thereby killing innocent people and destroying the place. I can't see how they deserve praise. They could just not join the army and get a different job.

Actually many could not get other jobs. The army is the only option for some people in poorer areas thats just the way it is.

If you look at what the British army is doing in Afgsanistan you will find most innocents are killed by the terrorists. Look at Iraq most of the casualties came from terrorists attacking civilians not soliders. They do not "murder" civilians at all or destory arears deliberatly.
Reply 119

1- Who's "telling" you to? It certainly isn't the men themselves. They'd never dare. The organisations don't 'tell' you to call them anything, either. If you think they do then it is you lacking in brainpower, not them.
2- As discussed, neither of the main Ops people have issues with [Telic and Herrick - or Iraq and Afghanistan for the uneducated] were illegal. Opinions made after either conflict started cannot affect the fact that they did start.
3- How is it 'selfish' to be away from their families for long periods time and in mortal danger?
4- Who's saying they deserve praise?

Latest

Trending

Trending