The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Government & Politics topic 3D and 4D

Hey guys,

so there has been a couple of threads on the route D here, but they are all under the old specification.

Is anyone else taking the Unit 3D exam in January? And if so, what do you use to revise ? (since there is no official textbook, obviously).

Feel free to discuss here anything about your A Level in Politics, too :-)
Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by BeritV
Hey guys,

so there has been a couple of threads on the route D here, but they are all under the old specification.

Is anyone else taking the Unit 3D exam in January? And if so, what do you use to revise ? (since there is no official textbook, obviously).

Feel free to discuss here anything about your A Level in Politics, too :-)

I'm taking both as a resit student in Jan. The lack of textbook was partly the reason I flopped last year. I'm using a variety of sources to revise
a) class notes (obvs)
b) notes I found on TSR around a year ago from someone who did this (they were in the poiltics forum but don't know if they are there now)
c) notes from the TSR wiki- go and check them out- they have some good stuff on the globalisation argument and the EU amongs other things
d) the markscheme answers for the spec paper and the 2 papers which have been done so far (i had to ask my teacher for these though)
e) the internet for specific examples

remember very few people do Route D (I think because its the hardest one)
Reply 3
Original post by jelly1000
I'm taking both as a resit student in Jan. The lack of textbook was partly the reason I flopped last year. I'm using a variety of sources to revise
a) class notes (obvs)
b) notes I found on TSR around a year ago from someone who did this (they were in the poiltics forum but don't know if they are there now)
c) notes from the TSR wiki- go and check them out- they have some good stuff on the globalisation argument and the EU amongs other things
d) the markscheme answers for the spec paper and the 2 papers which have been done so far (i had to ask my teacher for these though)
e) the internet for specific examples

remember very few people do Route D (I think because its the hardest one)

I know that very few people are doing it, that's probably why there's no textbook for it. I am just a bit lost because last year I passed my AS only thanks to the textbook and now i dont know what i'll do... Oh well
I did 4D and 3D last year, so if you want any advice or have any specific questions feel free to PM me.
The lack of textbook is very annoying though as it means you have to work from class notes and as many sources of information that you can find! The best advice though, is to make sure you know the topics well and fully understand the major themes such as sovereignty, polarity etc. so when it comes to the exam you can talk about them in detail and analyse the issues related to the question. Also, make sure you have contemporary examples about the issues in the course.
Reply 5
The Unit 3D and 4D are pretty nasty ,

OUr teacher ordered these books in for us , saying something about the author being a chief examiner or something .

It's pretty helpful goes through everything and has a page summing up points for each potential question/argument

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Global-Politics-Palgrave-Foundations-Heywood/dp/1403989826/ref=pd_sim_b_56
Reply 6
You're quite right: Andy Heywood is indeed the Chief Examiner for Edexcel Government and Politics - and he is the author of Global Politics.... No need to complain that there is no purpose-written textbook for Option D in Units 3 and 4 anymore! I'd advise anyone who's struggling to order a copy to read through.... Especially if they're going on to study Politics and International Relations at university (the Heywood text was actually intended for undergraduates!)

Also very useful is the teacher-provided blog GlobalGovPol.blogspot.com .... Lots of great current examples and interpretation of the syllabus.

I would disagree with the idea that Units 3D and 4D are "pretty nasty".... What could be more relevant than studying the world around us?
Reply 7
This exam is on Monday. I'm soooo scared! I have the ****test teachers and learnt nothing all year. Do you guys think I'd be ok by just learning the chapters on Power, EU, and the UN from the Andrew Heywood textbook??
Reply 8
Original post by aarora
This exam is on Monday. I'm soooo scared! I have the ****test teachers and learnt nothing all year. Do you guys think I'd be ok by just learning the chapters on Power, EU, and the UN from the Andrew Heywood textbook??

Sounds to me like you haven't taken much responsibility for your own learning - your teachers don't sit the exam for you!

If you've got the textbook, I guess a weekend of studying key chapters might help, but it's unlikely at this late stage.
Reply 9
Original post by rehov
Sounds to me like you haven't taken much responsibility for your own learning - your teachers don't sit the exam for you!

If you've got the textbook, I guess a weekend of studying key chapters might help, but it's unlikely at this late stage.

I agree, if you have the textbook you can pretty much teach yourself. All the teachers will be doing is telling you what is in the textbook.

Latest

Trending

Trending