The Student Room Group

Geog Unit 3 on 25th Jan 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Lyam
It's a lot of effort, actually, and when you consider how the UMS system works and the fact that there's only a few people sitting this paper, he could really be shooting himself in the foot by helping you. Naturally, if he helps you + your classmates out and you get higher marks because of it, the grade boundaries will go up and he'll get less marks than he would have without helping you. So actually, it's quite cheeky. :smile:

If it's a lot of effort for him, then I completely understand him not uploading it. But if it's because he's worried that giving people a little bit of help by providing them with material from the board might, just potentially, knock off a UMS mark or something...

Maybe it'd be foolish of me to do so, but I know that I'd help someone if I could - its the fair thing to do. If I didn't get the grade I needed, it'd be because I didn't do well enough on the test.

It's alright, I'll keep searching for it and hopefully I can find it somewhere :p: If I do, I'll let people know, and provide them the link. Because I'm nice/evil like that. Mwah.
Reply 21
Original post by Lyam
It's a lot of effort, actually, and when you consider how the UMS system works and the fact that there's only a few people sitting this paper, he could really be shooting himself in the foot by helping you. Naturally, if he helps you + your classmates out and you get higher marks because of it, the grade boundaries will go up and he'll get less marks than he would have without helping you. So actually, it's quite cheeky. :smile:

That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. It has nothing to do with you and anyone can easily ask their teacher. It would have been a bit easier if the lad posted it but its no problem if he doesnt as its up to him. So actually, its quite cheeky of you. :smile:
Reply 22
Any idea on essay questions of World Cities/ Conflict?

An what ecosystem case studies are there?
Reply 23
Original post by Jamstar
If it's a lot of effort for him, then I completely understand him not uploading it. But if it's because he's worried that giving people a little bit of help by providing them with material from the board might, just potentially, knock off a UMS mark or something...

Maybe it'd be foolish of me to do so, but I know that I'd help someone if I could - its the fair thing to do. If I didn't get the grade I needed, it'd be because I didn't do well enough on the test.

It's alright, I'll keep searching for it and hopefully I can find it somewhere :p: If I do, I'll let people know, and provide them the link. Because I'm nice/evil like that. Mwah.

Original post by Foxer27
That is the most stupid thing I have ever heard. It has nothing to do with you and anyone can easily ask their teacher. It would have been a bit easier if the lad posted it but its no problem if he doesnt as its up to him. So actually, its quite cheeky of you. :smile:

There are two examiners marking this paper... there really aren't many people taking this test so, actually, giving it to an entire class full of people could make a difference. That's not the point though, the point was that you were asking him to go out of his way to potentially give himself less marks when he could be spending that time revising. If this is the most stupid thing you've ever heard, you've not been on TSR long enough. Sorry for having a different opinion to you, I must be a real idiot.
Reply 24
Original post by Lyam
There are two examiners marking this paper... there really aren't many people taking this test so, actually, giving it to an entire class full of people could make a difference. That's not the point though, the point was that you were asking him to go out of his way to potentially give himself less marks when he could be spending that time revising. If this is the most stupid thing you've ever heard, you've not been on TSR long enough. Sorry for having a different opinion to you, I must be a real idiot.

I'm not saying your wrong or anything, and I'm not trying to create an argument here, but it just seems a pretty selfish way of looking at things. If he's worried about the amount of time or effort it would take (which frankly, to type out a few sentences doesn't seem THAT much) whatever, that's absolutely fine and I completely understand, but if its just so we don't do as well... I don't want to judge anyone, but I wouldn't act like that.

I wouldn't have asked if I thought it was going to be such a big deal :\

(And on a completely different point, there are only two examiners marking this paper? Are you sure? My teacher said she was marking this exam :s )
Reply 25
Original post by Jamstar
I'm not saying your wrong or anything, and I'm not trying to create an argument here, but it just seems a pretty selfish way of looking at things. If he's worried about the amount of time or effort it would take (which frankly, to type out a few sentences doesn't seem THAT much) whatever, that's absolutely fine and I completely understand, but if its just so we don't do as well... I don't want to judge anyone, but I wouldn't act like that.

I wouldn't have asked if I thought it was going to be such a big deal :\

(And on a completely different point, there are only two examiners marking this paper? Are you sure? My teacher said she was marking this exam :s )

Doubt it, unless she's one of two. And I'm quite sure one of them is the head examiner. :P

Well, this is what my teacher said anyway...
Reply 26
Original post by Lyam
Doubt it, unless she's one of two. And I'm quite sure one of them is the head examiner. :P

Well, this is what my teacher said anyway...

My teacher was under the impression that each question is marked by a different examiner, so she's been saying that it's fine to use the same case studies in different sections of the exam because they won't be able to tell.

Although she might be wrong on this, I don't know why she'd say she was marking the exam if she wasn't. I can't imagine it's just her and the head examiner though :p:
Reply 27
Any body doing tectonics, ecosystems and conflict?
Reply 28
Original post by roryjburke
Any body doing tectonics, ecosystems and conflict?

Yehim doing the tectonic questions
do you think either tsunamies or earthquake will come up and do you know if there will always be a hazard question for example a case study on one and its effects?

Theres just so much to learn how does everyone remember it all? :eek:
Reply 29
Original post by Blondi

Original post by Blondi
Yehim doing the tectonic questions
do you think either tsunamies or earthquake will come up and do you know if there will always be a hazard question for example a case study on one and its effects?

Theres just so much to learn how does evryone remember it all? :eek:

i think a hazard question would be good...you just whack out all the effects of volcanos/earthquakes but make sure you put effects only become hazards when they impact upon human life.

A hazardy type question came up in June so i think it will be something more like describe the distribution of ....etc etc... but who knows
To what extent do you agree with the statement that 'urbanisation is an essential condition in allowing economic development of countries in the modern, globalised economy'?

world cities! help!
Reply 31
hi guys sorry im new to this and didnt realise that there was a second page :ashamed2:

sorry i have had time to upload the paper and don't have easy access to a scanner my pc :frown:
Reply 32
Original post by chrissishrimp
hi guys sorry im new to this and didnt realise that there was a second page :ashamed2:

sorry i have had time to upload the paper and don't have easy access to a scanner my pc :frown:

That's alright, don't worry about it :p:
Actually worrying about this exam now. I'm just hoping we get a nice essay question. I'd love for the World Cities essay to be on Out-of-town retailing or Sustainable Transport. Hopefully not waste management!

And if minor tectonic activity comes up, I won't be happy. Does anyone seriously care about boiling mud?
Reply 33
Arrh man im stressing now haha. which topics are people doing? and what do you think the questions will be? im doing weather, tectonics and world cities. so guess i have to care about boiling muds lol
Reply 34
im doing ecosystems, world cities and tectonics, i hope the essays are nice too!! i'm scared! any last min good revision tips?
Reply 35
im doing ecosystems, world cities and tectonics, i hope the essays are nice too!! i'm scared! any last min good revision tips?

Bit obvious but choose the essay question you find easiest first over the structured questions. Also for me as im desperate for revision time for the world city case studies just talk about your home area or a place nearby, also make things up as the likely hood of the examiner knowing your area is low and unlucky if he is from the same area
Reply 36
Original post by Foxer27
Bit obvious but choose the essay question you find easiest first over the structured questions. Also for me as im desperate for revision time for the world city case studies just talk about your home area or a place nearby, also make things up as the likely hood of the examiner knowing your area is low and unlucky if he is from the same area

Very true, i like that about your own area. are you guys doing essays first or small questions?? i might do essay first this time a i ****ed the essay up last time and i did it second then :smile:
Reply 37
knowing my luck i bet the examiner marking my paper just read that lol
Reply 38
Very true, i like that about your own area. are you guys doing essays first or small questions?? i might do essay first this time a i ****ed the essay up last time and i did it second then :smile:

Definatily do the essay first and do it to the best of your ability under little time pressure. if you do it last you either do the structured q's too quick or dont leave enough time for the essay to be done well which needs to be good as its 40 marks out of 90
Reply 39
I echo the comment about referring to your own area. I'm practically using Bristol for everything (boiling mud in Bristol maybe?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending