The Student Room Group

Sun, sex and suspicious parents - BBC Three

Scroll to see replies

As someone else has said, they know it's being filmed for something, so they're not going to go completely mental.

From experience, most holidays in Malia are far worse.
Why did I watch this whilst eating?
Original post by revisionnightmare
As someone else has said, they know it's being filmed for something, so they're not going to go completely mental.

From experience, most holidays in Malia are far worse.

Worse as in awful time or behaviour wise? It's just I'm going there this summer.
Reply 43
Original post by jdf1993
it's hilarious!!! makes me worry about goin abroad with my mates though :/ ahaha

the girls this week were a bit boring... next week looks better :smile:

If you let a film crew follow your holiday then you'd be pretty stupid anyway :P

Original post by -honeybee-
I would be furious if I was being followed/watched by my parents, why do they all not seem to care?

I can't believe the guy on the last one carried on with his lapdance when his parents were watching lol, it was so awkward. And the girl's mum (and mum's friend??) looked like they'd go on that type of holiday themselves so I don't really know why they were on it? The mum seemed happier that her daughter wasn't as boring/tomboyish as she thought. Both shows have had one of the parents bring a friend instead of their husband and it kind of defeats the object, why would you be bothered about what someone else's child gets up to?

Not everyone has a husband :facepalm: I guess they had to have two people 'following' each child...
Reply 44
Original post by chemical_bex
I thought this was awful.
I can't even begin to imagine how absolutely livid I would be if my parents were spying on me on my first holiday abroad! Total abuse of trust.

This. I think that any parent that does that, especially on tv, has issues to be honest. I can't believe some of them are so over-protective when most of the teenagers are 18ish and about to go to uni.

Also, the teenagers know they're being filmed and that their families will most likely see it, so it's not like they're going to do anything outrageous on camera anyway. It's still quite a funny programme though.
"But then I'm on it... Like... Like a fox."

Lol'd so much. It's great.
Original post by ily_em
If you let a film crew follow your holiday then you'd be pretty stupid anyway :P

Not everyone has a husband :facepalm: I guess they had to have two people 'following' each child...

Obviously I know that but my point was that out of 4 teenagers so far, 2 have had someone following them who isn't their mum or dad. Surely this means their actions will have less impact, as your mum's friend isn't as bothered as your dad would be about what you get up to on holiday? The mum and mum's friend on the last episode may as well have been on holiday themselves, I think it would work better with people who have stricter parents.
Original post by Boom Pow
Worse as in awful time or behaviour wise? It's just I'm going there this summer.

As in behaviour. The holiday itself was absolutely amazing. The program doesn't really give you an actual picture of what it's like - it doesn't do it justice.
Original post by .Heather.
This. I think that any parent that does that, especially on tv, has issues to be honest. I can't believe some of them are so over-protective when most of the teenagers are 18ish and about to go to uni.

Also, the teenagers know they're being filmed and that their families will most likely see it, so it's not like they're going to do anything outrageous on camera anyway. It's still quite a funny programme though.

I agree, but if you really think about it the entire premise of the show will mean that we will be limited to seeing pretty tame behaviour. Like you said; they'll think their parents will be watching anyway, but then you have to think to yourself what they think they're being filmed for in the first place. I've noticed they ask a few questions about independence and growing up throughout the episode, so they most likely were told everything but the fact that their parents were seeing them in the flesh. They would have known their parents were going to watch.

Plus their itinerary seems to have been given to them by the BBC. For starters the clubs let the parents in often before the kids are there themselves. They also only go to one or two places per night (realistically you end up plowing through 4 or 5 bars then ending up in candy or some bigger club), and they aren't exactly going to do anything too embarrassing in front of the camera man.

I think they've got like compulsory filming activities, then they have other times where they can do whatever they want.
The guys in episode five are from my town *cringe*. They've made a Facebook event for when the episode is aired... Also, they were given rules that they weren't allowed to break or they'd be sent home: no sex, no drugs, no fighting. Ruins it a little bit, but it is BBC.
Original post by FluffyLion
Also, they were given rules that they weren't allowed to break or they'd be sent home: no sex, no drugs, no fighting. Ruins it a little bit, but it is BBC.

What's the point in calling it Sun, SEX and Suspicious Parents, then? Stupid BBC :mad:
Yea, all the holidays looked pretty boring compared to what its actually like in those places. And the girls in the second episode acted like they were about 12; had never drunk, never gone out. Funny to watch, but I just pity them for being so dull. The guy in the first episode was pretty funny though.
Reply 52
Anyone know when episode 3 is?
Original post by .Heather.
I can't believe some of them are so over-protective when most of the teenagers are 18ish and about to go to uni.

What most young people do is quite extreme imo, just because it is accepted doesnt make it right i.e people think (oh its normal as its what most people do)

The majority of students these days treat university like its one big party and a time to experiment with drink, drugs and whatever else they put their mind to.

I men even many people who think they are tame and claim they only go drinking once a week/month arent quite as tame as they think.

Its hugely a generation gap sort of thing, by the time you have kids you will probably think like most of the parents.
Reply 54
lol, this programme brings back so many memories of Ibiza.
Reply 55
Second episode wasn't as good to be honest, in fact it put me off Ibiza for life.
Reply 56
Original post by Cupcakee
Anyone know when episode 3 is?

New episodes air every Tuesday at 9pm, on BBC Three
Reply 57
Original post by Stoof
New episodes air every Tuesday at 9pm, on BBC Three

Thank you :smile:
Reply 58
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyQ----YaoY

This song reminds me of this show for some reason :wink:
Reply 59