The Student Room Group

History Offers?

Scroll to see replies

definately ring up Edinburgh and ask why, what were your GCSE's like?

History is extremely competitive, and i didnt realise exactly how competitve it was until i applied!!

For the top uni's for hist (these being Oxbridge, Warwick, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham and all the London lot) you really need to be getting AAA predictions and then you need to get them, forget what it says in the prospectus guides!
Reply 181
Nottingham isn't amongst the best in my opinion for History, and my friend's got an offer of BBB (admittedly History and French but still) and that is a normal offer. Really really competitive universities for History do not offer two or three grades lower if you choose to do joint honours with a slightly unpopular subject.
Got to say you are wrong there.

Joint Honours can do what they like,

for History (and History and politics for that matter, the department is extremly competitive.)

My offer was AAB if i hadnt met that offer, i wouldnt have got in. In the end i got AAA so i was ok, everyone in my tutor group who are all doing straight History achieved AAA at A-level too.

Finding it hard to see how a top 10 university whose history offers are AAB cannot be perceived as one of the best?

Im just sure of the exact rank placement, but Nottinghams school of history is up there with the best of them.

Joint honours history students will get lower offers no matter where they apply, so that explains your friend...... this is the case for York, Leeds, St.Andrews... which are all places you have applied too

I wouldnt be here if it wasnt one of the best universities for History, put it that way :biggrin:
Reply 183
Joint honours history students will get lower offers no matter where they apply, so that explains your friend...... this is the case for York, Leeds, St.Andrews...

Leeds do give two grades lower offers to joint honours with a language History students but both York and St. Andrews give AAB whether you apply for History or History with anything else.
St. Andrews gave my friend a BBB offer for History and something random last year....

anyhow i dont think this is a bad thing at all, if the language or other joint honours department isnt very good or well respected (as may be the case with Nottingham, i dont know, i only know about the history department) then they are justified in asking for a lower offer, no matter how good the history department is, otherwise they are never going to get applicants are they??

Anyway, I can safely say that Nottingham is 'up there' in terms of History degrees, as anyone who has investigated Nottingham will know.

Sorry if ive sounded a bit aggressive, but it really grates with me when things like this get put on internet forums and just generally get spread around when they simply arent true :biggrin:
Reply 185
Nottingham is one of the best Unis I've applied to certainly. And quite unusually, it's great for both History AND politics, there's usually quite a broad difference.

I have an interview for Queen Mary on the 15th... eek. Anyone know if they're group or individual?
Reply 186
the interviews are individual i had one last week. its really more of a chat. the lecturers are so nice! they all had lunch with us and came to find out about us, it was immense. i managed to get an offer from cambridge through the pool (got pooled to New Hall) yay! in your face durham :smile:
Well done!! I got rejected from Robinson :p: .
MolsakaG
Well done!! I got rejected from Robinson :p: .

I got pooled and rejected by Trinity Hall... :biggrin:
Reply 189
sylvester
the interviews are individual i had one last week. its really more of a chat. the lecturers are so nice! they all had lunch with us and came to find out about us, it was immense. i managed to get an offer from cambridge through the pool (got pooled to New Hall) yay! in your face durham :smile:

Phew, I was getting quite worried. A girl I know had a group interview for one Uni and it sounded horrible so I was praying for individual!
Reply 190
Exeter - BBB
Bristol - AAB
Cardiff - AAB
Royal Holloway - AAB
Leeds - AAB

...Still waiting for Manchester
Reply 191
I'm totally fed up with my uni applications...I don't know what I have to do to get a place. York and Warwick are acting like idiots now.... :rolleyes: taking them fooooking ages. I can understand Oxford and King's rejecting me but I really thought I stood a chance at Warwick.... :frown:
Reply 192
Hey!! :smile: I'm new to the site, and was just wondering if anyone here has applied to do Ancient History or Archaeology?? Most people seem to be doing Modern History. We have to do Modern World History at 6th form and I hate it!! Not too confident that I'll get the grades :frown:
Anyone going to Manchester or Chester ??
Reply 193
My friend got declined from york today for history, has anyone else heard anything? I'm still waiting :frown:
But I guess no news is good news.
Reply 194
For anyone that cares:

I called Edinburgh to ask about my rejection and they were nice enough about it. I spoke to someone from the admissions office who brought my file up and told me there was nothing stopping me from getting an offer; I had a very "strong" application but they were only giving offers to people with AAA on account of having had enough people to make it 17 people applying for every place. In other words, I was good enough, just not better than 16 other people. Comforting, in a superficial way, but ineffective on the outcome of the situation.
k_lash
For anyone that cares:

I called Edinburgh to ask about my rejection and they were nice enough about it. I spoke to someone from the admissions office who brought my file up and told me there was nothing stopping me from getting an offer; I had a very "strong" application but they were only giving offers to people with AAA on account of having had enough people to make it 17 people applying for every place. In other words, I was good enough, just not better than 16 other people. Comforting, in a superficial way, but ineffective on the outcome of the situation.

Why do they say that their average offer is BBB then? That is really annoying and makes me think that I have wasted a space on my UCAS form! :mad:
Reply 196
It is irritating. Fair enough, the quality of candidates might fluctuate slightly each year meaning that some years it might be AAA, and some AAB/ABB, you can understand that. But putting that the average is BBB is a bit of a pisstake though when it's so far from the reality. It's clearly a popular course, and with 17 people per place, surely noone who has BBB predicted would ever get an offer.

I should have said something. I probably would have given the guy an earful had I called straight after I got the UCAS letter, but I'd calmed down by the time I spoke to him. Why do they do it? To encourage people with lower grades to apply...only to reject them amidst the hoardes of oxbridge-quality candidates they're swamped by?
It doesn't say that that is the predicted grades of intake, it says that that is the standard offer. They may still give out BBB offers but only to those predicted AAA.
Reply 198
im not sure if this is the reason for Edinburghs low grade requests but as far as i know Scotland are one year behind us A level wise so the entrance requirements have to be made lower so that everyone, even scottish candidates can meet them. theoretically their first year uni is the same as our 2nd yr a levels and hence theyre stuck because they cant make it too high. just something i heard but SOAS is also very competitive with BBB so i dont understand it fully really.
Reply 199
I've had offers from RHUL (EE), Notts (AAB) and a rejection from Oxford (which i'm still pretty cut up about) and still waiting to hear from Edinburgh, Warwick and Durham. My grades are 9A*s and an A at GCSE and 4 As at AS level, predicted 3 As. Don't really understand it. Why won't they just tell me! I thought I had a chance but maybe not. I'm beginning to wonder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending