The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

StAndrewsIR
The 20% figure refers to the proportion of overseas students in general (including Canadians, Koreans, Turks, Peruvians and all the other non-EU students here) rather than just Americans.

I think that about answers the first part of your question, thaed.

And as for the atmosphere, it doesn't seem to be overly populated by overseas students, but you can definitely tell that there are more of them than at your average university.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
i've got an offer for french and russian, and would really love to go to one of the old accommodation halls, and they're mainly close to the languages fepartment, AND i only need a term time let and catered. what are my chances of getting into St salvators or the like??
i'm sure this question has already been asked but could you answer or point me back in the thread to where is was said.

Cheers in advance :smile:
Mmm yeah, I'm interested in hearing as well. Sallies = the bomb.
McIntosh all the way! Sallies is lovely but it's also full of yahs.
Reply 184
i visited McIntosh on an open day, it was quite nice but Sallies looks beautiful. Why is it full of yahs? Yahs as in lots of money or yahs as in say yah and have a so called posh southern England accent?
Reply 185
Hey, i was just wondering at around what time did those with unconditional offers hear about which hall you got into, if youve sent the accomdation form now?
birkstopher40
Mmm yeah, I'm interested in hearing as well. Sallies = the bomb.

God i'm blonde, only just realised Sallies = st salvators... *hangs her head in shame*:confused:

what course birkstopher?

french and russian all the way............!!:smile:

[edit] ok i see modern history, going to be a tweed jacket then? lol only jokin
:p: I've probably heard the tweed jacket jab at least 6 times since i bought it last month. I'm starting to wonder whether it was a good idea at all!

As for my courses, you were half right. I'll be doing Modern History and IR.
you actually have a tweed jacket?? i was joking! lol
no i have this [rather stereotypical] image of dusty old men in rooms full of leather books, wearing tweed jackets with leather patches on the elbows, smoking a pipe, when i think of history.

sounds like its your vocation if you already have the jacket!

i feel bad now like i've gone and slated you........sorry!! there are some very nice tweed hacking jackets i've seen which don't look like that at all! *she digs the hole deeper*

hey i can talk, if i'm a russian and french student does that mean i get a tall furry hat and a string of onions?

a right pair we'd be!
Haha check my profile! I'm sitting right there in a tweed jacket with leater elbow patches, among other seeimgly suitable-for-a-much-older-person pieces of clothing (school uniform)- I thought that's why you mentioned the tweed jacket in the first place!

And as for the Russian stereotype, I'm seeing the furry hat, only instead of a string of onions, what popped into my head was you tartar dancing :p:
OH!! i've just looked, bloomin good guess!! you look very studious! HaHa, i can't believe that! OOPS
*she gazes into her crystal ball and sees.........nothing!*

Me, tartar dancing, hmm, if i was really, really, need is say really, drunk maybe. On vodka most likely as that befuddles me quite.....

"seeimgly suitable-for-a-much-older-person pieces of clothing" sounds just about a good description of me as i CONSTANTLY get mixed up with my art teacher. you would think that a bunch of art students if anybody would be able to differentiate between two ppl who look nothing like eachother except both wear skirts alot of the time and have long blonde hair!!
Reply 191
I don't dress like a teenager either, I practically always wear nice skirts unless it is truly freezing and I don't do grotty or scruffy. I hardly ever wear jeans, maybe once a week. The year 7's (US 6th grade) think I'm a teacher for size months before they finally twig that I'm a student. A new English teacher wasn't sure who I was! I always get compared to my old English teacher and get called a mini version of her but I just happen to be that way.
Ah thats good!! not just me then.
I always dress like that, however new uniform rules are coming in, which i agree with. what i don't agree with is the fact they're making us buy suits for our last 5 weeks before we leave *madness*

What course KerriT?
Reply 193
That is madness! Is it a private school? We don't have a uniform in 6th form, most people wear a pair of jeans and plain top of a different colour every day. That would bore me silly! I've applied for Modern History, but I still haven't heard yet. I'm going to York next week to have a look around.
history, another tweed jacket! sorry twas a joke earlier!
no not private just your bog standard comprehensive. they're just brushing up on uniform.
Our schools sound similar!

Good luck with your application, it won't be long i'm sure!
Reply 195
I just said private because then the school would assume that parents had money to spend on suits, but how can they justify suits at a bog standard comprehensive as you say your school is? Even a cheap suit is around £50. My school's a grammar, but because it's in such a deprived area and it takes the top 25% (most grammars take top 5% or 10%) it is more like a very good comprehensive, particularly the 6th form. I used to go to a comp in London and I can't imagine anyone wearing suits, I can't imagine it here even, students want to spend their wages and EMA on cars and drink.

I don't have a tweed jacket but I do have a purple one which looks a little like tweed. I have a cashmere cardigan and two pashminas and pearls, what does that make me?
i have a tweed skirt......but lets not talk about that!!
well in my opinion they've been stupid, as within the rules you can still have your hair dyed shocking pink and in a moheecan [sorry don't know how to spell it!] wear a shocking amount of metal nailed to your face and as much make up as you like.
i'm a lone voice really in this one as its not so far removed from what i wear now so u don't really care, what i do care about is them making us do it for 5 weeks.
the school won't accept financial problems as an excuse, Oxfam they suggest...............

on a side note.....did you find out what ppl meant by "yahs" at Sallies??
Definitions of yah on the Web:

* an upper-class person.
Reply 198
Apparently "yahs" are posh rich people and if girls wear pashminas and pearls. I say "yah" and stuff but am not rich.
OK THAT CLEARS IT UP. whoops i'm in capitals.....

heard a vicous rumour today about st andrews.

well actually there were two

1) you can get arrested for riding a bike under the influence of alcohol [this particular person went down a 1 way street at midnight coming home from the pub]

2) there is some ritual bout making all the freshers walk the sea wall, i hope thats a wind up????

i say 'yar' but as in yes in german, occasionally 'da' if i'm feeling russian....but thats language students for you.

Latest

Trending

Trending