The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

All my friends exams finish next week, and I've still only sat one and won't finish till the 5th of June :frown: which is the same day as my prom! D;

Ahhhh i hate exams.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
shortcake_x
All my friends exams finish next week, and I've still only sat one and won't finish till the 5th of June :frown: which is the same day as my prom! D;

Ahhhh i hate exams.

Aw no... :frown: They'll be over before you know it though, and prom will be the perfect way to celebrate! What subjects are you doing this year?
Reply 3982
shortcake_x

Ahhhh i hate exams.

5th of June? Mines 22nd. Were all yours squished into like a week? I guess I'm lucky I have mine quite spaced out. Just takes that little bit longer

sophie_c
Good luck with your exams guys!

I am personally getting fed up of revision so bad! Urghhhhhh...am really not interested in moss reproduction etc etc etc... bad times... it's going to be a long night!

Haha I find it easier to revise for Biology even though I'm not particularly interested in it..and I find 'my' subject Chemistry quite hard to revise for....but then again I just think its my silly exam board for Chemistry...
sophie_c
Aw no... :frown: They'll be over before you know it though, and prom will be the perfect way to celebrate! What subjects are you doing this year?

I know, just finding it hard to stay motivated! Can't wait for this summer :biggrin:
I'm doing AH Maths, Physics and Spanish :smile: Already sat maths there on thursday, Physics on tuesdayyy :eek:
When do your exams finish? :smile:
Oxy
5th of June? Mines 22nd. Were all yours squished into like a week? I guess I'm lucky I have mine quite spaced out. Just takes that little bit longer

Nah they are reasonably spaced out, Maths was on the 21st May, Physics on 26th then Spanish on the 5th... Scottish exams start a bit before all the english ones though. How many you got left then?
shortcake_x
I know, just finding it hard to stay motivated! Can't wait for this summer :biggrin:
I'm doing AH Maths, Physics and Spanish :smile: Already sat maths there on thursday, Physics on tuesdayyy :eek:
When do your exams finish? :smile:

Haha, I most definitely know that feeling! Summer will be so good! Need a break! Will be so strange being away from St As for so long though...scary stuff!
Aah cool, I did AH Maths, Bio and French last year... how did the maths go? Last yrs was a rather nasty paper I thought... hope they were kinder to you this year! AH Physics?! Gosh you're brave! Good luck, though I'm sure you won't need it!
Do you need the grades?
I'm finished on Mon, no where near ready for the exam though! Still going through lectures... :frown:
Oxy

Haha I find it easier to revise for Biology even though I'm not particularly interested in it..and I find 'my' subject Chemistry quite hard to revise for....but then again I just think its my silly exam board for Chemistry...

Yeh... I do like revising this subject (Bio of Organisms) because I do actually find it interesting (most of it anyway!), def in comparison to molecular bio which i had on sat! But just so frustrating because there is no where near enough time to study all of it before the exam! :frown:

What exam board for chem? Fraid I never liked chemistry much, I'm more a biology person :wink:
Reply 3987
sophie_c
Yeh... I do like revising this subject (Bio of Organisms) because I do actually find it interesting (most of it anyway!), def in comparison to molecular bio which i had on sat! But just so frustrating because there is no where near enough time to study all of it before the exam! :frown:

What exam board for chem? Fraid I never liked chemistry much, I'm more a biology person :wink:

Haha well I do Human Biology, and just studied gametogenesis....sperm production fine..straight forward...oocyte production..no bloody complicated! I'm having trouble learning about all the hormonal control of growth and during lactation, women...pft. Oh on a biological note did you read the story about males becoming extinct in the 5 million years? Apparently we are because the Y chromosome is slowly shrinking...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Edexcel is the exam board for Chem.

shortcake_x
Nah they are reasonably spaced out, Maths was on the 21st May, Physics on 26th then Spanish on the 5th... Scottish exams start a bit before all the english ones though. How many you got left then?

I have 9 exams left. 3 Maths, 4 chemistry and 3 biology ...fun fun fun! Wish i only had one uber exam for each tbh.
sophie_c
Haha, I most definitely know that feeling! Summer will be so good! Need a break! Will be so strange being away from St As for so long though...scary stuff!
Aah cool, I did AH Maths, Bio and French last year... how did the maths go? Last yrs was a rather nasty paper I thought... hope they were kinder to you this year! AH Physics?! Gosh you're brave! Good luck, though I'm sure you won't need it!
Do you need the grades?
I'm finished on Mon, no where near ready for the exam though! Still going through lectures... :frown:

Yeah that must be a weird feeling going home after 1st year!
I think it went quite well, was an okay paper, a few quite tricky bits but overall not too bad :smile:
Haha I'm going to do physics when I come to St A's! :p:
Well I don't need them since I chose St A's.. but I might do 2nd year entry which means I'll need like AA/AB or something for maths and physics.
Aw I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck with it :biggrin: how long do you have after your exams before they kick you out then? :p:
Oxy
Haha well I do Human Biology, and just studied gametogenesis....sperm production fine..straight forward...oocyte production..no bloody complicated! I'm having trouble learning about all the hormonal control of growth and during lactation, women...pft. Oh on a biological note did you read the story about males becoming extinct in the 5 million years? Apparently we are because the Y chromosome is slowly shrinking...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I have 9 exams left. 3 Maths, 4 chemistry and 3 biology ...fun fun fun! Wish i only had one uber exam for each tbh.

Oh my gosh... have never done pure human biology... wasn't offered at my school! :frown: Haha sounds...err fun! Oocyte is such a fun word... don't have to learn that stuff for mons exam, but have oomycetes, and oospores and zygomycetes bla bla bla... u shud see my room, all the walls are filled with notes, and it's from only half the semester...aahrgh! Rather depressing!

Really? Haha..! Well, tis kinda scary...! I'm sure they'll find a way of delaying/ reversing that process... even if the reversal or whatever is natural! Like, was just studying, diatom populations, when reproducing asexually, actually decrease in size every generation, so to avoid the diatoms from completely disappearing, the populations will randomly use sexual reproduction... ok it's completely different, but if a unicellular protist can reverse becoming extinct, perhaps there is some mechanism in humans which could prevent that from happening.... probs completely irrelevant, but hey, it reminded me about diatoms...shall just have to remember males becoming extinct cos of their Y chromosomes if a diatom essay qu comes up lol! Oh god, I ramble, I think this may be due to over consumption of rolo cookies (on offer at tesco woo), being too late, and having been reading about algae, fungi and liverworts all day... sorry!

EdExcel...I know nothing about it...
shortcake_x
Yeah that must be a weird feeling going home after 1st year!
I think it went quite well, was an okay paper, a few quite tricky bits but overall not too bad :smile:
Haha I'm going to do physics when I come to St A's! :p:
Well I don't need them since I chose St A's.. but I might do 2nd year entry which means I'll need like AA/AB or something for maths and physics.
Aw I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck with it :biggrin: how long do you have after your exams before they kick you out then? :p:

Yeh, it really is going to be weird, though it will be good to be home and catch up with everyone, will be so strange being away from St Andrews and the banter etc for so long... esp as the friends you make in halls, you practically live with, and then just don't see for several months! :O Some people have gone home already, it's sad :frown:

Ahh goodgood :smile:
Hehe, I did Int 2 Physics in 4th yr, think it was actually my strongest subject, but dropped it because I became more interested in languages or something... have been through far too many phases!

Aah ok yeh, good luck on getting 2nd year entry then, sure you can do it! How long would your degree be then? Are you planning on doing masters? If not, you'll technically be the same year as me cos of my year abroad :wink:

Thanks! And good luck with yours too! Um, well they chuck us outta hall 10am on Sat, so I am staying till then! Gonna be an epic week after the exams, so many parties and bops etc! Will be weird packing up my room though :frown:
Reply 3991
sophie_c
Oh my gosh... have never done pure human biology... wasn't offered at my school! :frown: Haha sounds...err fun! Oocyte is such a fun word... don't have to learn that stuff for mons exam, but have oomycetes, and oospores and zygomycetes bla bla bla... u shud see my room, all the walls are filled with notes, and it's from only half the semester...aahrgh! Rather depressing!

Really? Haha..! Well, tis kinda scary...! I'm sure they'll find a way of delaying/ reversing that process... even if the reversal or whatever is natural! Like, was just studying, diatom populations, when reproducing asexually, actually decrease in size every generation, so to avoid the diatoms from completely disappearing, the populations will randomly use sexual reproduction... ok it's completely different, but if a unicellular protist can reverse becoming extinct, perhaps there is some mechanism in humans which could prevent that from happening.... probs completely irrelevant, but hey, it reminded me about diatoms...shall just have to remember males becoming extinct cos of their Y chromosomes if a diatom essay qu comes up lol! Oh god, I ramble, I think this may be due to over consumption of rolo cookies (on offer at tesco woo), being too late, and having been reading about algae, fungi and liverworts all day... sorry!

Haha too much sugar! Well we do some of the same units as biologists (molecules, cells and systems and also Evolution ecosystems and inheritance) but our other units are different. I guess your study there relates mostly to my evolution ecosystems and inheritance unit....which I found quite hard like types of natural selection/speciation, population genetics and varation were all like...wtf?...god knows how I did really well in that unit xD Any tips for writing an essay on biology? Its the last question on my last bio paper and I have a choice of two titles...The hardest part is picking bits out from the Whole specification and remembering it...wish me luck! I'm also not looking forward to it because I haven't written an essay since GCSE english...which was 3 years ago and my spelling grammar has decreased exponentially since then.
Oxy

Aw yeah that's weird how it's all split up for you guys :s-smilie: must make it easier to study for though, no? It's kinda scary when you're sitting AH Maths knowing the whole year's work comes down to 100 marks in a paper. :p:
sophie_c

D:

Physics FTW :p:

sophie_c
Yeh, it really is going to be weird, though it will be good to be home and catch up with everyone, will be so strange being away from St Andrews and the banter etc for so long... esp as the friends you make in halls, you practically live with, and then just don't see for several months! :O Some people have gone home already, it's sad :frown:

Ahh goodgood :smile:
Hehe, I did Int 2 Physics in 4th yr, think it was actually my strongest subject, but dropped it because I became more interested in languages or something... have been through far too many phases!

Aah ok yeh, good luck on getting 2nd year entry then, sure you can do it! How long would your degree be then? Are you planning on doing masters? If not, you'll technically be the same year as me cos of my year abroad :wink:

Thanks! And good luck with yours too! Um, well they chuck us outta hall 10am on Sat, so I am staying till then! Gonna be an epic week after the exams, so many parties and bops etc! Will be weird packing up my room though :frown:

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be really strange not seeing them everyday! You gonna see any of your uni friends over summer or anything?

Oh god I know, I decided to apply for physics for definite about a week before the deadline for my Oxford application :/. Was thinking about doing Law, Languages, Maths or even something like Philosophy haha! Glad I chose Physics though :biggrin: Aw I love learning languages, that's the one thing I'm really gutted about with the course at St A's. But I'm gonna keep going with it own my own :smile:

I've applied to do the masters yeah, so if i did 2nd year entry that'd mean a 4year degree. I'm just not sure whether to or not, 'cause at the same time I'd still really like to do other modules and things in 1st year. Plus I'm gonna try my best to get on the american exchange year thing, so if I was to get selected and I did 2nd year entry I think that'd mean I'd only be in St A's for a year before going away :eek: correct me if im wrong here?

Thankyou! :smile: Aw that's good, they give you plenty of time for post-exam celebrations before you head home :biggrin: ... for some more post-exam celebrations with friends from home haha!
Oxy
Haha too much sugar! Well we do some of the same units as biologists (molecules, cells and systems and also Evolution ecosystems and inheritance) but our other units are different. I guess your study there relates mostly to my evolution ecosystems and inheritance unit....which I found quite hard like types of natural selection/speciation, population genetics and varation were all like...wtf?...god knows how I did really well in that unit xD Any tips for writing an essay on biology? Its the last question on my last bio paper and I have a choice of two titles...The hardest part is picking bits out from the Whole specification and remembering it...wish me luck! I'm also not looking forward to it because I haven't written an essay since GCSE english...which was 3 years ago and my spelling grammar has decreased exponentially since then.

yes far too much sugar... been drinking squash too... not good, but guess i'll get through more work!

Umm ok cool... in human bio is this? yeh natural selection etc was more last semester, this semester i had 2 bio modules, molecular (which i hated, and from which now know i am most def not a red biologist!) and bio of organisms which is everything, plants, protists, eukarya, sea life, ecology, history of the earth, angiosperms and gymnosperms bla bla bla...
sorry, waffling again...should not consume this amount of sugar late at night...

Ok an essay... how many marks is it worth? Tbh I find once you start writing an essay things come to you. We had the whole essay at the end thing in Advanced Higher too (here it's 8-10 mini essays so different tack). But for AH, i looked at the essay qus before i did anything else, because then while you;re going through the rest of the paper you're brain can be mulling it over, and you may pick up relevent points from other qus that you could mention. When actually tackling the essay, just let it go with the flow, if it's anything like AH, they aren't too bothered about it being a strict essay structure, as long as it was divided obviously to make it easier to read. So i quite often put subheadings (got points for that apparently), and used bullet points. Diagrams are always a bonus too!
In terms of studying for the essay qus, look through past papers, and see if there are any commonly recurring qus, ie DNA replication was always a favourite I think, and learn up a few of these really well, so u can just put it down quickly. Not much more you can do really...
Also, if you open the paper and see a qu you could write an essay on right then, do it and get it over with. On the other hand, if none of the qus you really know, put things down. For Molecular, as they are all mini essay qus, we were told, it you don't know much about something, just mention anything that could be related ie if it;s on PCR, just putting DNA down cud get you one mark...

Ok Sorry, completely rambling probs, but hope there's something of use in there! Ask any qus if you have any more! And good luck!!!

...oh dear...quite obv too much sugar...
shortcake_x
D:

Physics FTW :p:

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be really strange not seeing them everyday! You gonna see any of your uni friends over summer or anything?

Oh god I know, I decided to apply for physics for definite about a week before the deadline for my Oxford application :/. Was thinking about doing Law, Languages, Maths or even something like Philosophy haha! Glad I chose Physics though :biggrin: Aw I love learning languages, that's the one thing I'm really gutted about with the course at St A's. But I'm gonna keep going with it own my own :smile:

I've applied to do the masters yeah, so if i did 2nd year entry that'd mean a 4year degree. I'm just not sure whether to or not, 'cause at the same time I'd still really like to do other modules and things in 1st year. Plus I'm gonna try my best to get on the american exchange year thing, so if I was to get selected and I did 2nd year entry I think that'd mean I'd only be in St A's for a year before going away :eek: correct me if im wrong here?

Thankyou! :smile: Aw that's good, they give you plenty of time for post-exam celebrations before you head home :biggrin: ... for some more post-exam celebrations with friends from home haha!

Yeh...it'll be strange! Well one of my closest friends that I made here actually lives out the other side of Inverness from me (ok about an hour away from me, but that's close by up with us) so hoping to see her quite a bit... And another friend from Glasgow will staywith me for a few days over RockNess :biggrin: soo excited lol! but otherwise they're all too far away :frown:

Haha, sounds just like me! At first it was architecture (hence physics), then something arty, then languages, then medicine/ vetinary, then languages, then biology and then realised St As did bio with french... parfait! But yeh so glad I chose Bio, loving it! :biggrin: And yeh I'm sure you'll love physics here and will have made the right choice! Languages, yeh if you do 1st year, you probs would be able to do a language module too, if not, there are plenty of evening language courses etc being run! Or just join a socitey...I know french soc have speaking afternoon and the like...

Ok yeh, so if u do 2nd yr, we will be the same year! :smile: Erm and the exchange thing, I can't be completely sure, but yeh I guess, cos you;d be doing it in 3rd year yeh? That'd be the year I go away too, cept mine will be working as opposed to an exchange with another uni, hence a 5 yr degree.

haha indeed! Cannot wait!!! :biggrin:
sophie_c
Yeh...it'll be strange! Well one of my closest friends that I made here actually lives out the other side of Inverness from me (ok about an hour away from me, but that's close by up with us) so hoping to see her quite a bit... And another friend from Glasgow will staywith me for a few days over RockNess :biggrin: soo excited lol! but otherwise they're all too far away :frown:

Haha, sounds just like me! At first it was architecture (hence physics), then something arty, then languages, then medicine/ vetinary, then languages, then biology and then realised St As did bio with french... parfait! But yeh so glad I chose Bio, loving it! :biggrin: And yeh I'm sure you'll love physics here and will have made the right choice! Languages, yeh if you do 1st year, you probs would be able to do a language module too, if not, there are plenty of evening language courses etc being run! Or just join a socitey...I know french soc have speaking afternoon and the like...

Ok yeh, so if u do 2nd yr, we will be the same year! :smile: Erm and the exchange thing, I can't be completely sure, but yeh I guess, cos you;d be doing it in 3rd year yeh? That'd be the year I go away too, cept mine will be working as opposed to an exchange with another uni, hence a 5 yr degree.

haha indeed! Cannot wait!!! :biggrin:

Aw that's quite good :smile: ooh are you going to RockNess this year!? I almost went last year, but my cousin went and she said it was awesomee! T in the Park for me this year :biggrin:

Haha! God I was so indecisive like that :p: yeah I'm so excited about coming in sept :smile: yeah I was thinking about doing a spanish module or something, or if not I'll deffoz take evening classes :smile: then hopefully spend my summers in Spain perfecting it :rolleyes: haha!

Yeah I think it's the 3rd year... I wouldn't really wanna only be in St Andrews for a year though before going somewhere else.. but yeah I guess we might be in the same year then! :smile: Do all the different years just mix with each other in st andrews then?
I've been very, very silly and not started revision. My offer is AAB with an A in English.
If I narrowly missed the offer (i.e. still got the A in English and another subject but maybe got AAC) is there any chance that St A's would still offer me a place?
bibliotheque
I've been very, very silly and not started revision. My offer is AAB with an A in English.
If I narrowly missed the offer (i.e. still got the A in English and another subject but maybe got AAC) is there any chance that St A's would still offer me a place?

DON'T scare me :frown:
I also want to know this.

I'm thinking it's not likely...
I asked if I got AAC instead of ABB if I'd still get in and they said they couldn't answer but it definitely wasn't a straight yes :/
They said it depends on how many people make the grades.
And AAC is equivalent to ABB in points so I don't know if they'd let you in with a C instead of a B. But who knows what will happen.
I'm worrying myself :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending