The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
good luck!
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
good luck Birkstopher! you'll do great i'm sure!! tell us how it goes!?!

i have my french oral today but examiner is in hospital :eek: so i don't know how this is going to work!

oh and thanks for the link parrotman, where do you find these things?
Reply 582
blondemoment
where do you find these things?
http://www.st-and.ac.uk
It's got links to most things you'd want to know about the uni - you've just got to have the perseverance to spend time finding what you need (it can sometimes be a bit difficult)
Reply 583
I have got an offer from st andrews (woohoo!!) and am hoping to be in new hall in september...i was wondering if anyone could tell me when it is that halls close for the summer?????? (i.e. when u have to be moved out by?) i expect that ppl will stay on a bit after the end of term but need a general idea for summer 2007 due to early planning for backbacking holiday (excessiv i now-its my super organised friend). even if u cant give me the dates for 2007, when do u have to be out for for this summer?????? - just to give me a general idea. any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!:smile:
This summer we get kicked out on the 26th of May. My last exam is the 17th (earlier than most) so I've plenty of time to hang around.
Reply 585
StAndrewsIR
This summer we get kicked out on the 26th of May. My last exam is the 17th (earlier than most) so I've plenty of time to hang around.
26th? Wasn't it the 27th? I thought we had to be out by 10am on the Saturday...
Doesn't matter to me, admittedly - the one exam I'm sitting is on the 18th (my parents think I'm sitting one on the 22nd, but I'm not going to it because I'm pretty sure I've lost P2P for it) and I'm going home on the 23rd.

As for next year, I'd guess it's along similar lines - the final exams are on Wednesday 23rd May 2007, so we'd probably have to be out by the morning of Saturday 26th May 2007.
Reply 586
im so excited for september i could pass out! Thank u Dalimyr and StAndrewsIR.:smile: :smile: :smile: just hope i get my abb!:afraid:
Reply 587
V-E-A
im so excited for september i could pass out! Thank u Dalimyr and StAndrewsIR.:smile: :smile: :smile: just hope i get my abb!:afraid:
No problem, and I know how you feel. Good luck - I'm sure you'll get the grades :hugs:
Reply 588
Dalimyr
No problem, and I know how you feel. Good luck - I'm sure you'll get the grades :hugs:

Thank U!!!

i have one more question. i have applied for accomodation and i hope to be in new hall. Due to my preferences its possible that i will get put in john burnet annexe or andrew melville hall. I have heard of people writing a letter to the hall warden to improve thier chances of getting into the hall they want. i know of people doing this at bristol to get into wills hall but i was wondering if anyone at st andrews has heard of people doing this and if so, what they wrote and whether or not they were successful. any information wud be great. thank u! :smile:
I just wrote it on the top of my application form - worked for DRA.
Reply 590
StAndrewsIR
I just wrote it on the top of my application form - worked for DRA.

Dammit i've already sent my application off months ago. didnt write new hall cos i thort u werent supposee to. do u think theres anything else i could do?
Reply 591
Send an email to [email protected] and let them know. Student Accommodation Services will take your email into account and will presumably amend your application to note your preference.

Grr, I had to get screwed out of accommodation, didn't I? I need to hope that a first-year who applied for Fife Park drops out, otherwise I suspect I'm out on the street :frown: Bugger...and the big downside is that I have no way of finding out if I'm in FP until late August. I should be in (people refusing the offer or not getting their needed grades), but it's not guaranteed :frown:
I was reading in a chat about a kid whose parents dressed him up like Jesus on raison weekend then had him carry his cross up to a hill and the tied him up to it and left him there thought the foam fight and the rest of the day :’-( so choose wisely
Reply 593
Dalimyr
Send an email to [email protected] and let them know. Student Accommodation Services will take your email into account and will presumably amend your application to note your preference.

Grr, I had to get screwed out of accommodation, didn't I? I need to hope that a first-year who applied for Fife Park drops out, otherwise I suspect I'm out on the street :frown: Bugger...and the big downside is that I have no way of finding out if I'm in FP until late August. I should be in (people refusing the offer or not getting their needed grades), but it's not guaranteed :frown:

I'm sure youll get a place at Fife Park, people r bound to drop out or not get the grades or they cud even move from FP to another hall if they dont like it so i'm sure youll b fine.
think i may send them an email but think ill sound a bit stupid if im sending them a random email justing letting them know what hall i want to be in. just found out that one of my mates wrote like a mini essay along with her accommodation application form:s: oh well!...im sure ill be happy wheverever they put and im sure that if i dont and i hate it lots they'll let me move, so im not gonna stress too much :biggrin:
Reply 594
MerryMilkMan
I was reading in a chat about a kid whose parents dressed him up like Jesus on raison weekend then had him carry his cross up to a hill and the tied him up to it and left him there thought the foam fight and the rest of the day :’-( so choose wisely
Any one else hear about all the kids who got conditionals and then were picked out of a hat to have their acceptance dropped because St. A over accepted
How is Saint Andrews seen prestige wise over there? I am beginning to think I may have sold myself short in deciding to go there.

omg:eek: ...never heard any of that before...i think the raison weekend thing is true cos i have heard from many-a-sources that its a bit crazy but the thing bout picking out of a hat cos of over accepting im not so sure. cant see them being so silly as to over accept and im sure that once they've given u an offer they cant take it away....:s: well i hope they cant and if they can its well harsh.
Reply 595
It happened to a friend of one of my best friends. When he called up and was like "why did you turn me down my grades haven’t dropped at all since you accepted me" and they said something along the lines of, "we over accepted U.S. students this year and so picked 50 out of a hat to unaccepted"
I find that hard to believe...find written evidence and I'll be more inclined to believe it, but I can't really see the university doing something quite that daft, not to mention just picking people randomly to be cut.

To add to my previous line of inquires what is all this I hear about St. Andrews being broke ???http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/eek.gif How will it affect us as students?
That's just a nasty rumour...if the uni was broke, do you think they'd be doing things like putting up more buildings in David Russell (which are still under construction and obviously need to be furnished and so on) and agreeing to increase lecturers' pay despite the national AUT not accepting local deals (or whatever the hell is going on with this AUT pay dispute)?

Honestly, most things you'll hear about St Andrews are likely to be rumours and little more. For instance, it's been said year after year that Fife Park was going to be demolished and replaced with new DRA buildings, but this clearly isn't the case for the foreseeable future, since we've received emails saying that in 2007 Fife Park houses will be cut down to having 5 people per house, and what is currently a 6th bedroom will be transformed into something of "our choosing" (there's a form somewhere online that we can fill in to say what we want...I imagine most people will be wanting a living room or social area, or even an extension of the kitchen...whatever the most popular choice is, that's what we get). Now that is a fact, and not some BS rumour.

I suppose things like this are possible - I've heard of drunken antics on Raisin Weekend sometimes being a little OTT. If you don't get completely pissed you'll be perfectly fine, but you'll obviously want a parent who isn't going to put you into such a situation in the first place. Most aren't that bad, but there are obviously going to be the odd few who will take things a bit too far.

How is Saint Andrews seen prestige wise over there?
It's arguably the top university in Scotland (only Edinburgh is really in a position to make it "arguable"), and is usually considered one of the top ten in the UK. Also helps that it's known worldwide :smile:
Reply 596
MerryMilkMan
To add to my previous line of inquires what is all this I hear about St. Andrews being broke ???http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/eek.gif How will it affect us as students?

I don't know where you've heard that the university is insolvent, but it is simply not true.
Reply 597
V-E-A
I'm sure youll get a place at Fife Park, people r bound to drop out or not get the grades or they cud even move from FP to another hall if they dont like it so i'm sure youll b fine.
think i may send them an email but think ill sound a bit stupid if im sending them a random email justing letting them know what hall i want to be in. just found out that one of my mates wrote like a mini essay along with her accommodation application form:s: oh well!...im sure ill be happy wheverever they put and im sure that if i dont and i hate it lots they'll let me move, so im not gonna stress too much :biggrin:
Yeah, for once I'm staying optimistic :biggrin: It's completely unlike me, but I know I have a good chance of getting into FP again :smile:

Don't worry about how you think you'll sound. You're never going to personally meet the person who reads the email, and if it increases your chances of getting into the hall you'd like to be in then isn't it worth it? Granted, it is true that you can get into another hall later on, but this could sometimes take a while (one of my housemates last year moved out because he didn't like being self-catered, but I think he had to wait a month for a space in McIntosh Hall where he wanted to move to (because his girlfriend was in that hall)). In the event that you don't like your hall, just be prepared that you could have to wait for some days/weeks to get into a hall you would want to move to.
But optimism is definitely the way to go :wink: It's more about the people you're with than the actual hall you're in - I mean, Fife Park is far from ideal, but people in the houses generally get on well with each other and it's a good, friendly atmosphere :smile:
Reply 598
Bdarnell
I don't know where you've heard that the university is insolvent, but it is simply not true.
I remember Medici posted that rumour in a few threads here back in December or November...for some reason he found it rather amusing to talk as much crap about the town/uni as he could...but people believed him. He also said things like "bars close at 6pm" and other random *******s. The fact that people believed THAT is really worrying :biggrin:
Reply 599
Dalimyr
I remember Medici posted that rumour in a few threads here back in December or November...for some reason he found it rather amusing to talk as much crap about the town/uni as he could...but people believed him. He also said things like "bars close at 6pm" and other random *******s. The fact that people believed THAT is really worrying :biggrin:

Haha, yes I remember now. :rofl:

Latest

Trending

Trending