The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Icecradle
this question has been asked before, and like I said before I'll say this: It depends entirely on the student.

seriously the question is impossible to answer. And each week will differ. Freshers week will be EXTREMELY expensive... you'll be buying books, society memberships, going out more often... etc etc

ah sorry.... hmm thanks for answering tho
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
No problem... obviously it's something that everyone worries about but it really is different for everyone.

Just make sure you don't blow your entire year's funds in fresher's week and you'll be fine. :wink:
it might have been asked before, but there are 70 pages to this thread, so...

:biggrin:

where do philosophy lectures/seminars/tutoral things take place? are they all on the outskirts and nowhere near the nice buildings on the scores? i saw mention of somewhere in an earlier thread, but i couldnt find it on the map that was linked to..
oops double posted, might as well make use of it..

im confused about the whole taking extra subjects thing.
the list of compulsary modules looks more space than there is in the year, so are they half modules or something with not a lot of credits so they all add up to the right amount with space for more modules in another subject?

and generally how is the time/amount of modules you do weighted? do you do more of the subject you were accepted for and less of the two extra ones, or is it equal? and if it is equal weighting, has anyone felt frustrated that youre not spending time doing the subject you initially applied for, as if youre being sidetracked?

Autumn child, i can answer that evidentally, however is one to assume this means your St Andrews Welcome pack thingy has arrived? just out of interest i'm impatient...
im confused about the whole taking extra subjects thing.
the list of compulsary modules looks more space than there is in the year, so are they half modules or something with not a lot of credits so they all add up to the right amount with space for more modules in another subject?

and generally how is the time/amount of modules you do weighted? do you do more of the subject you were accepted for and less of the two extra ones, or is it equal? and if it is equal weighting, has anyone felt frustrated that youre not spending time doing the subject you initially applied for, as if youre being sidetracked?

You do 6 modules in your first year, 3 in each semester. Sometimes modules will be worth half points, so you'll do 4 in a semester. Each module is weighted exactly the same. This happens in theory, but if you're doing sciences, then you have lab time as well as lectures.

You spend equal time on your chosen subject and your other modules. You don't have to do 3 different subjects if there is more than one module choice in your chosen subject. For example last year (my second year) I did 2 Theology and 1 English in the first semester and 3 theology in the second. I think generally people enjoy doing a variety in their first 2 years so it's not all samey. Afterall, your 3rd and 4th years are spent solely on your chosen subject.
blondemoment
Autumn child, i can answer that evidentally, however is one to assume this means your St Andrews Welcome pack thingy has arrived? just out of interest i'm impatient...

heh heh sorry my keen-ness keeps fooling people into thinking im going :p:
ive actually still got a year of 6th form left, but ive got my heart set on st andrews so ive ended up glued to this forum :biggrin:

good luck with uni - i might see you there someday :biggrin:
Well everyone, three weeks and you'll be welcomed to St Andrews (by Skeve, of all people :ninja:)...looking forward to it? Nervous? Impatient? Dying to see just how crap the facilities are even though we said they're not too bad :rolleyes:?

Sorry I won't be there to see you all and show you around town, but I'll always be here (around TSR, even if I'm not posting in the StA board) if you want some help, confidence-boosting or whatever :smile:
Hiya guys!
Wasnt sure where to post this, but ive left it so long as i had no idea what was going on. I should have said something sooner! Well i just missed the grades for st A's (by that i mean like 5 and 10 marks for 2 subjects off 3 A's). St andrews said theyd review my case due to mitigating circumstances. BUT they hadnt even looked again at my application a week after they said they would, so ive decided to go to through clearing to Durham instead, as they left me hanging too long. I might look at a transfer or doing a masters at St a's, as it is a lovely uni, but it looks like im not going this year.

For the record im actually more than fine about it - at first i was a little gutted as i was so close to getting in. But for me the course at Durham is alot better, as i was told even if i got in through appealing, i wouldnt have been able to pick up history... Also im doing something i really love, rather than a course to get me a job - like psychology was meant for. St andrews is still great, but for me i think the uni ive chose is more suited to me. (im saying all this so that you all now im not at all bitter ^-^ also i didnt want to not say anything as ive been posting on here for aages ad itd would have seemed obvious and weird as to why i hadnt mentioned anything sooner)

Congrats to everyone with all their results, you all did fab! Also thanks sooo much to everyone for all their help on the forum *hugs*, its been great talking to you all!!! I'll prolly still lurk around on TSR!

PunkiePixie x x x
No probs Punkie... that's practically what happened to me, but in the end I transfered anyway. Hope everything works out for you at Durham! :smile:
Autumn Child

where do philosophy lectures/seminars/tutoral things take place? are they all on the outskirts and nowhere near the nice buildings on the scores? i saw mention of somewhere in an earlier thread, but i couldnt find it on the map that was linked to..

anyone? :frown:

the nice pretty building is the one on the scores isnt it? why why why :frown:
i guess the logic modules will be taught there at least?

oh and while im at it again, which of the selfcatering accomodation would you reccommend?

sorry, i know im a little high maintainence :p:
Autumn Child
anyone? :frown:

the nice pretty building is the one on the scores isnt it? why why why :frown:
i guess the logic modules will be taught there at least?

oh and while im at it again, which of the selfcatering accomodation would you reccommend?

sorry, i know im a little high maintainence :p:

According to the map I have the Philosophy building is on the scores right next to the sea, but as Im not there I dont know if all lessons / lectures take place there or just some.

EDIT: According to this map philosophy has 2 buildings, one label 36 (the one I was on about) and another labelled 45 (on the corner of north and college street)

Hope that is of some help
Steeeeevo
According to the map I have the Philosophy building is on the scores right next to the sea, but as Im not there I dont know if all lessons / lectures take place there or just some.

EDIT: According to this map philosophy has 2 buildings, one label 36 (the one I was on about) and another labelled 45 (on the corner of north and college street)

Hope that is of some help

from photos on the st andrews site, its a little small, like a house (the one on college street)
i hope all the lectures and everything are held somewhere nice :frown: :smile:
im sure someone meantioned physics lecture halls somewhere on the forum....
From what I've heard Philosophy lectures range in location between the North Haugh and the Buchanan lecture hall. *prays he gets lectures only in Buchanan*
birkstopher40
From what I've heard Philosophy lectures range in location between the North Haugh and the Buchanan lecture hall. *prays he gets lectures only in Buchanan*

what are they like?

do you have any photos ? :smile:
the North Haugh is a pile of concrete. Interesting piles of concrete... but no turrets or stone there.

A lot of lectures are in the purdie building:

http://special.st-andrews.ac.uk/saspecial/image.php?i=60399&r=2&t=4

and... you can see the gorgeous Melville in the background there.

here's a bit about buchanan:

http://www.escapetotranquillity.com/conference.asp?ID=4
Icecradle
the North Haugh is a pile of concrete. Interesting piles of concrete... but no turrets or stone there.

That’s the car park where I parked on my open day, it didn’t seem to look so bad on the day but it looks a right heap on that picture, I must have been still thinking about the nice buildings in the centre of town when I was walking in and out :p:
hey to all,
As far as the modules are concerned... If a class meets every day, how long does it meet for? An hour? Or is it a subject to agreement? Does it depend on the weekly teaching provision for each student? It appears that I have French at 9 and IR at 10 am, I hope it's possible to get from one lecture to another on time? :wink:)
Icecradle

:frown: nooooooooo...

i have a feeling if i go to st andrews i might end up being taught in ugly buildings and living in ugly accomodation (since the self-catering all seems to be concrete squares)...:eek:

i went to york at the weekend though, and the entire campus was like a rotting comprehensive school.
Reply 1399
navyblue, i asked that question earlier in some thread and according to dalimyr all lectures are 1 hour long.

Latest

Trending

Trending