The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Andrius
Hi,
I'd like to ask about finance at St' Andrews. How much do you spend per week including your accomodation fees? Is it possible to get a part-time job and how much you can earn per week? Is there any financial help (in the form of grants, bursaries or maintenance loans) for students from EU?

I thought Id resurrect this post before it gets lost.

You need to give more information before anyone can answer how much you will spend per week as it depends on a lot of things, will you be in catered or self-catered halls or in private accommodation, do you drink, how much, do you buy the best food you can get or dont mind cheaper alternatives, do you plan on eating out ect. No one can psychically give you a prediction based on what you have told us. Yes you can get a part time job but again the pay depends heavily on what type of job it is, it ranges from some bar or shop assistant jobs paying minimum wage (£5.35 an hour I think), to a job selling things on commission where wage depends on how good at selling you are.
Finally all information on ALL the grants and bursaries available from the university are on the university site, and information on loans ect if there are any will be found at http://www.saas.gov.uk/
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 1781
Steeeeevo
I thought Id resurrect this post before it gets lost.

You need to give more information before anyone can answer how much you will spend per week as it depends on a lot of things, will you be in catered or self-catered halls or in private accommodation, do you drink, how much, do you buy the best food you can get or dont mind cheaper alternatives, do you plan on eating out ect. No one can psychically give you a prediction based on what you have told us. Yes you can get a part time job but again the pay depends heavily on what type of job it is, it ranges from some bar or shop assistant jobs paying minimum wage (£5.35 an hour I think), to a job selling things on commission where wage depends on how good at selling you are.
Finally all information on ALL the grants and bursaries available from the university are on the university site, and information on loans ect if there are any will be found at http://www.saas.gov.uk/

Probably you're right that my question was not concrete. However, the main thing, which was bothering me, was the possibility to get a part-time job at St'A. If it is really easy to get as it sounds from your post, then I'm really happy and I can try to get in this university.

Talking about financial help for students from EU, I've found out before that it is almost impossible to get any financial help from SAAS - only local students are eligible for it :frown:
I thought it was fairly easy to get your fees paid by SAAS? Not that I've tried, but I know a couple of people from the EU who get their fees paid by SAAS.
Reply 1783
la_banane_verte
I thought it was fairly easy to get your fees paid by SAAS? Not that I've tried, but I know a couple of people from the EU who get their fees paid by SAAS.

yeah I second that, both my best friend and I have received grants from SAAS that will cover our tuition fees :smile:
Andrius
Probably you're right that my question was not concrete. However, the main thing, which was bothering me, was the possibility to get a part-time job at St'A. If it is really easy to get as it sounds from your post, then I'm really happy and I can try to get in this university.

Talking about financial help for students from EU, I've found out before that it is almost impossible to get any financial help from SAAS - only local students are eligible for it :frown:

It is possible to get a job, if you put some effort in Im sure its easily achievable
Reply 1785
Finances are tricky. Drinking will cost you a fortune if you go out regularly, which I recomend in first year especially. A night on the boozes can cost as little as 5 quid to 20 or more. If you are catered then you won't need to spend too much on food. Although snacking during the day or going out for a meal can set you back a fair bit. I was catered and spent between 5 and 20 a week on extra food. If you're self catered it will be more, obviously. Otherwise you have general spending - coffee,hot chocolate, sports (e.g. gym, golf), cinema etc... I would sum up finances in st andrews thus: you can live just as easily with 5 pounds in your pocket as you can with 50 or 100. If you have it you'll probably spend it :smile:
Another piece of advice: don't take any money to freshers' fayre on the Sunday, or you'll end up paying to join a load of societies that you'll never go to. Just sign up to the mailing list, and if you end up going to the meetings etc, you can pay to join later. And try to grab as much free stuff as possible :biggrin: You'll never have to buy a pen ever again.
la_banane_verte
Another piece of advice: don't take any money to freshers' fayre on the Sunday, or you'll end up paying to join a load of societies that you'll never go to. Just sign up to the mailing list, and if you end up going to the meetings etc, you can pay to join later. And try to grab as much free stuff as possible :biggrin: You'll never have to buy a pen ever again.

ILL SECOND THAT! I spent over £20 on societies of which few I ever went to and some I didnt even hear from again, I recommend the mailing list every time even if you are really interested as it might not turn out to be what you expect.
I can't enter my modules! Whenever I put down a choice, it tells me the module is not available in Year One (they're all level 1000 modules)! I'm absolutely perplexed... also, I'm doing a joint Philosophy degree and they've changed the module names from last year, which means that the online handbook doesn't tell me the course requirements! Does anyone know what I need to take?
Student88
I can't enter my modules! Whenever I put down a choice, it tells me the module is not available in Year One (they're all level 1000 modules)! I'm absolutely perplexed... also, I'm doing a joint Philosophy degree and they've changed the module names from last year, which means that the online handbook doesn't tell me the course requirements! Does anyone know what I need to take?

Look at the 2000 level courses to see what you need to do at 1000 level, but I'm pretty sure it just says something like any 20/40 philosophy credits and theres no specific requirements (but double check). About picking modules make sure your modules arent clashing, you havent gone over your total and you havent already accidentally in putted them already and try again, if it still isnt working email your advisor ASAP (do a google search of their full name followed by St Andrews and it should find their contact page) tell him/her your situation and what your tying to pick and they will either do it for you, tell you how to sort the problem or make a note of it until advising.
Just a quick question - will we need to take up our A-level certificates to present at matriculation?
lucho22
Just a quick question - will we need to take up our A-level certificates to present at matriculation?

No, the uni got all the information they needed from UCAS but it might be handy to take photocopies for jobs ect.
Steeeeevo
ILL SECOND THAT! I spent over £20 on societies of which few I ever went to and some I didnt even hear from again, I recommend the mailing list every time even if you are really interested as it might not turn out to be what you expect.

Yeah, you can generally get away with going to societies and testing the ground a bit before having to pay anything. People can be a bit enthusiastic at the freshers' fayre, but they'll probably be happy if you put your name down for emails.
Reply 1793
I still don't have my Orientation pack. What to do?
I dont think anyone has an orientation pack yet, If I remember correctly you get your accommodation information first and the rest of the information 1 or 2 weeks before you start (though I could be wrong). What have most people received so far?
Reply 1795
I mean, how do I sign up for pre-advising. The only acceptance letter I have has my id number on it and nothing else....
Reply 1796
Hi, can anyone tell me what the university's attitude to applications from 'mature' students is? I'll only just fall into that category as I'd be 22, but would be interested to know if any current students have ever come across someone on their course older than most!

Also, what sort of grades do you need to stand a good chance of being awarded a scholarship? (I have 4 A's at A Level)

Reply 1797
Steeeeevo
I dont think anyone has an orientation pack yet, If I remember correctly you get your accommodation information first and the rest of the information 1 or 2 weeks before you start (though I could be wrong). What have most people received so far?

If the orientation pack is the fairly big one with all the pre advising and registration information, then I have it, got it last week.
mousy
If the orientation pack is the fairly big one with all the pre advising and registration information, then I have it, got it last week.

yeh i got mine a couple of weeks ago, really need to start doing something with it.
Oh well Luser, if you dont have that email or phone them ASAP to see whats going on, it might have just been lost in the post.

Latest

Trending

Trending