The Student Room Group

Are Maths Degrees Dumbed Down?

Since A-level mathematics has been consistently dumbed down over the past decades, does this mean mathematics degrees are also dumbed down?

If not then how can their qualities be maintained when incoming students are less and less capable every year? Or the workload increases to compensate?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I heard that all degrees have been dumbed down. Don't know whether it's true or not, but judging by the standards of some of the first and second year students I've encountered, it wouldn't surprise me. Most degrees have a high dropout rate after first/second year though.
My friend does a maths degree, and looking at his latest piece of coursework (pages and pages of symbols and numbers) I hope that isn't "dumbed down" because it scares me already!
Reply 3
Original post by ImaginaryPerson
Since A-level mathematics has been consistently dumbed down over the past decades, does this mean mathematics degrees are also dumbed down?

If not then how can their qualities be maintained when incoming students are less and less capable every year? Or the workload increases to compensate?

I have talked to a lot of people. It depends where you go. I have heard the Imperial maths course is VERY hard. Likewise the Cambridge course is one of the hardest in the countries. From the people I have talked to (when I went to an open day someone even asked one of the postgrads the same question!), it depends on the university you go to, but on the whole (especially at top unis) not really.
That's why STEP is becoming a requirement for more and more Maths courses I guess. They can't rely on A-level Maths or even Further Maths to judge ability.
Original post by innerhollow
That's why STEP is becoming a requirement for more and more Maths courses I guess. They can't rely on A-level Maths or even Further Maths to judge ability.

So do you think maths degrees are dumbed down?

I have no way of knowing that though. I suspect there is a notable difference between unis, because it's inconceivable to me that people going to COWI Maths with A*A* in Maths and Further Maths and even 1,2 or 1,1 in STEP (remember that A-level Maths/FM look positively retarded compared to STEP) could be facing a similar difficulty of work in their Maths degree as people who got a B in A-level Maths and went to another uni, and getting even vaguely similar exam results. Maths is notoriously hard for its conceptual difficulty rather than its workload, I would struggle to think that people who achieved an average grade in Maths could sit exams anywhere near the level of people who breezed through A-level Maths without even using a fraction of their brainpower.

Of course this is just my suspicions though, you'd have to examine the course content and exam papers of various Maths degrees to know.
(edited 13 years ago)
it's not just maths degrees that suffer from this issue, pretty much all science degrees do.

and no i wouldn't say they were dumbed down, not in my experience. they just restructure the course slightly and have an increased workload in the first few weeks to get everybody up to speed
Reply 8

as innerhollow stated above it all depends on relative grade requirements for that uni and also what the person got a level (usually comparing the two gives an indication of how you can cope with the course).
Reply 9

But some people get STEP lessons at their college now which is simply unfair. A teacher who has been teaching STEP for a few years will easily tech a class of 5 students STEP I and II. And these students will be able to score highly in these because they have been taught them. Whereas someone who has to self-teach STEP will be at a disadvantage. Therefore creating an unfair system, and making STEP into a mainstream qualification like anyother....
Original post by Lord dudek
But some people get STEP lessons at their college now which is simply unfair. A teacher who has been teaching STEP for a few years will easily tech a class of 5 students STEP I and II. And these students will be able to score highly in these because they have been taught them. Whereas someone who has to self-teach STEP will be at a disadvantage. Therefore creating an unfair system, and making STEP into a mainstream qualification like anyother....

This is a bit of tangent discussion anyway. Unless you radically changed the format of the test every year (which would completely defeat the purpose of the test, as the skills needed for a Maths degree do not change year-on-year) this inequality will happen with ANY test. Even tests of raw aptitude such as the UKCAT can be prepared for- my evidence for that is that the average UKCAT score has increased steadily from 600 to 624 over the last few years.

It's jut the way it works, there are limitations to any metric of ability. Cambridge have found a very high correlation between good STEP performance and good Tripos performance so they will continue to use STEP, and other universities are joining in now.
This is a bit of tangent discussion anyway. Unless you radically changed the format of the test every year (which would completely defeat the purpose of the test, as the skills needed for a Maths degree do not change year-on-year) this inequality will happen with ANY test. Even tests of raw aptitude such as the UKCAT can be prepared for- my evidence for that is that the average UKCAT score has increased steadily from 600 to 624 over the last few years.

It's jut the way it works, there are limitations to any metric of ability. Cambridge have found a very high correlation between good STEP performance and good Tripos performance so they will continue to use STEP, and other universities are joining in now.

Basically im just complaining that my college doesnt do these lessons, and i know others do, but you're right, it is a tangent discusssion. Back to topic, this quote is right, Oxbridge and warwick use STEP as a guideline to get the best candidates. I think an answer would be that university degrees in general are not being dummed down, but the universities as a whole are being diluted with micky mouse courses, and "college" universities, which appears to make degrees being dummed down. When in actual fact, degrees at specific universites are being dummed down.
On another note, I can understand why universities may offer less challenging degrees. If Greenwich tried to offer the same difficulty of Maths course as Cambridge/Imperial, its students would likely be failing/dropping out by the dozen, and the university would lose a LOT of money. THe problem is that's unfair on students who pursue these very difficult courses but perhaps don't do too well (i.e. is it fair that someone with a 2:2 in Imperial Maths is barred from the majority of grad jobs?). I don't want standardised degrees of course, but given the importance of degree classification in graduate jobs, I think degrees should be externally marked too to make the degrees at least comparable.
Reply 13
Nice to see people who've done a maths degrees commenting...
Basically im just complaining that my college doesnt do these lessons, and i know others do, but you're right, it is a tangent discusssion. Back to topic, this quote is right, Oxbridge and warwick use STEP as a guideline to get the best candidates. I think an answer would be that university degrees in general are not being dummed down, but the universities as a whole are being diluted with micky mouse courses, and "college" universities, which appears to make degrees being dummed down. When in actual fact, degrees at specific universites are being dummed down.

Phone up a nearby college that does offer them and ask if you'd be able to join any after-school STEP classes they may have. They'll probably say no, but it's worth trying. If I was a Maths teacher and a student from the school down the road called me up asking if he could sit in on my STEP lessons, I would be very impressed by his courage and ambition and try to cater to such an impressive young Maths student.
Phone up a nearby college that does offer them and ask if you'd be able to join any after-school STEP classes they may have. They'll probably say no, but it's worth trying. If I was a Maths teacher and a student from the school down the road called me up asking if he could sit in on my STEP lessons, I would be very impressed by his courage and ambition and try to cater to such an impressive young Maths student.

I think i am going to seek a tutor outside school. I will have to pay, but closer to the time il have money saved up to do so.
I think i am going to seek a tutor outside school. I will have to pay, but closer to the time il have money saved up to do so.

Sounds good. Just remember to always arrange a trial lesson with a tutor first before deciding whether or not to continue...

I saw your other thread on STEP by the way. If you keep thinking that STEP tutoring guarantees better results, well then you're immediately expecting yourself to fail. Just do the past papers that's how everyone else prepares for STEP. A STEP teacher can help sometimes but they can't give you that intuition and flair that is needed to do well in STEP.
(edited 13 years ago)
Sounds good. Just remember to always arrange a trial lesson with a tutor first before deciding whether or not to continue...

I saw your other thread on STEP by the way. If you keep thinking that STEP tutoring guarantees better results, well then you're immediately expecting yourself to fail. Just do the past papers that's how everyone else prepares for STEP. A STEP teacher can help sometimes but they can't give you that intuition and flair that is needed to do well in STEP.

Yes after trying to study i thought i was going to fail... But you say simply doing past papers is the way to mastering STEP, when should i begin doing them you reckon?
also, should i not being doing STEP if i find the questions hard? MY results for my AS are on my profile
Yes after trying to study i thought i was going to fail... But you say simply doing past papers is the way to mastering STEP, when should i begin doing them you reckon?

I feel suddenly very self-conscious about giving you all this advice. If you're trying to master STEP you're probably way more intelligent than me... I'm just a little Maths wannabe, who am I to tell you what to do? I'm really sorry... :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest