The Student Room Group

Hey want some advice, anyone feeling like they are going to fail all the time?

So I am usually a ok student , at school I mostly get 7-9( edexcel) but lately during my Igcse I have the creeping feeling that I am going to fail everything.My mum is telling me that this is a bunch of idiotic sentiments and I should focus on sth else. However I have been having nightmares about the questions that I think I got wrong, any advice to stop worrying?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
well take what i say with a grain of salt please as I am not a professional in any mental things, however id say with the questions you think you got wrong, write the question out on a piece of paper, and do the problem slowly as you aren't under any time limit as it is your own time, go through the questions carefully and just think how to do them, and answer the questions to the best of your ability, if you get it wrong then search up how to do the question online and then complete the question, that way it might get rid of that fear of failure, but if this doesn't work then just focus on the people around you and maybe just take some time to yourself.

i did have a similar experience last year when I was doing my gcse's where I was having nightmares about questions as I had a fear of failure and letting down my dad as I've always looked up to him, his work ethic and I just like to make him proud I guess, but what worked for me was him just telling me that I could never disappoint him or let him down and he loved me no matter what. but everyone is different so what worked for me may not work for you, but just lean on the important people in your life and don't be afraid to ask for help from them.

dude23 :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Agh I hate names
So I am usually a ok student , at school I mostly get 7-9( edexcel) but lately during my Igcse I have the creeping feeling that I am going to fail everything.My mum is telling me that this is a bunch of idiotic sentiments and I should focus on sth else. However I have been having nightmares about the questions that I think I got wrong, any advice to stop worrying?

Heya!

It's normal to feel anxious and worried during exams, but try not to let these negative thoughts consume you :smile: Remind yourself of your previous academic achievements and the effort you've put into your studies. Practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, to calm your mind and reduce anxiety. You can read more about them here (linked). Focus on the present moment and do your best to prepare for the exams, but also remember that grades do not define your worth or future success.

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 3

I also have nightmares about school, I think it's just a universal experience caused by the outdated school system. I've also had that creepy feeling that I'm the only dumb person around me and the only one who will fail, but WE ARE ALL THE SAME. Even my class's "smartest" kid felt this way once or twice. It's not about the knowledge or the amount you are studying. Also, the mindset is everything, my friend. I swear. FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT. what you got to lose? Nothing, grades are nothing, it's just a game for us
Heya!!
Can I ask you a question about UCL, I see that you have a connection to the university.
I was just wondering if UCL has strict IGCSE goals for their students.UCL has always been one of the universities that I am hoping to study in. Also, if you have any information on the subject, can you please tell me if you need maths to study biochemistry at UCL?

Original post by StudyMind
Heya!

It's normal to feel anxious and worried during exams, but try not to let these negative thoughts consume you :smile: Remind yourself of your previous academic achievements and the effort you've put into your studies. Practice relaxation techniques, such as deep breathing or meditation, to calm your mind and reduce anxiety. You can read more about them here (linked). Focus on the present moment and do your best to prepare for the exams, but also remember that grades do not define your worth or future success.

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 5
Heya!!
Can I ask you a question about UCL, I see that you have a connection to the university.
I was just wondering if UCL has strict IGCSE goals for their students.UCL has always been one of the universities that I am hoping to study in. Also, if you have any information on the subject, can you please tell me if you need maths to study biochemistry at UCL?

Heya!
Of course! UCL isn't usually too focused on IGCSEs/GCSEs, they usually want a specific grade in maths and english but it's always a good idea just to double check on the official website :h: Is this the degree you are looking into (linked)? If so for IGCSE they say 'English Language and Mathematics at grade B or 6." and 'A-level Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics required AAA.' That means alvl maths is needed to study biochemistry at UCL!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by dude23
well take what i say with a grain of salt please as I am not a professional in any mental things, however id say with the questions you think you got wrong, write the question out on a piece of paper, and do the problem slowly as you aren't under any time limit as it is your own time, go through the questions carefully and just think how to do them, and answer the questions to the best of your ability, if you get it wrong then search up how to do the question online and then complete the question, that way it might get rid of that fear of failure, but if this doesn't work then just focus on the people around you and maybe just take some time to yourself.

i did have a similar experience last year when I was doing my gcse's where I was having nightmares about questions as I had a fear of failure and letting down my dad as I've always looked up to him, his work ethic and I just like to make him proud I guess, but what worked for me was him just telling me that I could never disappoint him or let him down and he loved me no matter what. but everyone is different so what worked for me may not work for you, but just lean on the important people in your life and don't be afraid to ask for help from them.

dude23 :smile:

Hi ! It’s been 2 months but thank you. I actually got pretty good results.Just note that this reply actually pulled me from my depressive period a little bit.Now I am working towards med school!

Quick Reply

Latest