The Student Room Group

The Trolley Problem [Moral Paradox]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by You Failed
I've seen this before, there's a good quiz you can do, here:

http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/fatman/Default.aspx

It consists of a section in which it'll ask you question to determine your general moral standing and then 4 scenarios, all similar to the one above to test how consistent your morals are.

I was 100% consistent =D

Edit: Er, why on earth did I get negged for this?

I have no idea, I got 100% on all as well - I mean, someone eats their dead cat, so what? XD
Reply 21
The only thing stopping me from killing one fat man to save five is the fact I have incredibly weak arms - but I'd still do my best =)
Reply 22
Original post by Srxjer
This paradox was first published in a 1967 paper by the philosopher Professor Philippa Foot, and has generated much discussion in the fields of ethics, cognitive science and neuroethics ever since - especially when compared with another similar thought experiment.

The first scenario: The Switch

"A trolley is running out of control down a track. In its path are five people who have been tied to the track by a mad philosopher. Fortunately, you could flip a switch, which will lead the trolley down a different track to safety. Unfortunately, there is a single person tied to that track. Should you flip the switch or do nothing?"

The second scenario: The Fat Man

"As before, a trolley is hurtling down a track towards five people. You are on a bridge under which it will pass, and you can stop it by dropping a heavy weight in front of it. As it happens, there is a very fat man next to you - your only way to stop the trolley is to push him over the bridge and onto the track, killing him to save five. Should you proceed?"

Now even though the outputs are exactly the same for both from a utilitarian viewpoint, a lot more people answer yes to the first problem than the second.

There has been some neuroscience research on why our moral intuitions differ with each scenario -- and it has to do with different parts of the brain: http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~jgreene/

I thought this was pretty interesting so I thought I'd share. What are your views on this? Wouldn't you agree that it just seems more difficult to answer yes to the second scenario and not the first?

Just a guess but it may have something to do with the idea that both parties in the first scenario are doomed - they're both in a life/death situation whereas the fatty was just kind of minding his own business an isn't really in any danger at all..? The guy in the first scenario is already tied up by the mad philosopher (:rofl:) so perhaps if he died one would feel less responsible by just flipping that switch to something already set up than we would if we pushed some guy off of a bridge.
Reply 23
You should sacrifice the person both times to save the rest (in my opinion), though ideally instead of chucking a fat man off the bridge you should ask him to jump himself, and if he doesn't you do. However you are not obligated to do either in my book.

In the first scenario the lone tied up person is in a significantly more dangerous position, they are already in a precarious situation with a chance they could get killed, whereas the fat man is removed and safe from the situation.

However by pushing him off the bridge you are bringing him into the dangerous situation he didn't consent to, whereas if someone tied someone up to a train track then that person is already in someplace pretty risky, so you'd expect them to be more likely to suffer some damage or lose their life, and it's more understandable if they do.

Like if someone was doing a dangerous trick on a tightrope hanging off a cliff, you'd expect them to run a risk of dying, more than someone who gets randomly struck by lightening.
Reply 24
Original post by Stefan1991
You should sacrifice the person both times to save the rest (in my opinion), though ideally instead of chucking a fat man off the bridge you should ask him to jump himself, and if he doesn't you do. However you are not obligated to do either in my book.

In the first scenario the lone tied up person is in a significantly more dangerous position, they are already in a precarious situation with a chance they could get killed, whereas the fat man is removed and safe from the situation.

However by pushing him off the bridge you are bringing him into the dangerous situation he didn't consent to, whereas if someone tied someone up to a train track then that person is already in someplace pretty risky, so you'd expect them to be more likely to suffer some damage or lose their life, and it's more understandable if they do.

Like if someone was doing a dangerous trick on a tightrope hanging off a cliff, you'd expect them to run a risk of dying, more than someone who gets randomly struck by lightening.

Uh...I don't think these people asked to be tied to the tracks...
Reply 25
I posed this paradox to my brother. He said he would switch for the first one, and said he would push the fat man off the bridge as well. When I said that the man need not necessarily be fat, he changed his mind and decided not to push him! I'd like to think he was being practical (fat man = more chance of stopping the train) but I made it clear that both skinny man and fat man would stop the train. So, instead of finding out his answer to this dilemma, I only exposed a suppressed desire to kill fat people.
Reply 26
I did this in my law extension class at sixth form, haha...

Turns out I was the only one who would do nothing on both occasions. To me, if the five people died, they would have died as a result of circumstances, if that makes any sense - I would have played no part in their death, it would have happened anyway. If I flipped the switch, I would be actively taking part in ending someone's life. Also, I don't like the thought of sacrificing one man for the sake of others. It's like placing prioritising someone else's life above another person's, and everyone is equal... it's too much like the "greater good" bull**** I don't believe in.

Same goes for dilemma two.
Reply 27
Original post by Lantulana
Uh...I don't think these people asked to be tied to the tracks...

That's not the point. The point is that they are in greater risk than someone stood on a bridge.
Original post by IlexBlue
... It's like placing prioritising someone else's life above another person's, and everyone is equal... it's too much like the "greater good" bull**** I don't believe in.

The greater good is something villains use to deceive heroes, and failed heroes use to comfort themselves.

Saving 5 by killing 1 is on no way the greater good, it's the lesser evil. The greater good is doing everything in your power to save everyone; negotiating with/bribing/intimidating the mad philosopher, grabbing the mad philosopher and chucking him/her on front of it, attempt to derail the trolley, etc.

If you don't choose one option or the other and try your best to save them all (which is your job since you're now in this situation whether you like it or not), even if you fail you're free of responsibility. Only if you play his game and accept it has to be one option or the other, is there someones blood on your hands.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by History-Student
The greater good is something villains use to deceive heroes, and failed heroes use to comfort themselves.

Saving 5 by killing 1 is on no way the greater good, it's the lesser evil. The greater good is doing evertlything in your power to save everyone; negotiating with/bribing/intimidating the mad philosopher, grabbing the mad philosopher and chucking him/her on front of it, attempt to derail the trolley, etc.

If you don't choose one option or the other and try your best to save them all (which is your job since you're now in this situation whether you like it or not), even if you fail you're free of responsibility. Only if you play his game and accept it has to be one option or the other, is there someones blood on your hands.

I understand where you're coming from, but I think the point of the dilemma is that we're not supposed to have the options such as negotiating with/ bribing the mad philosopher and so on... the question asks would you flip the switch or not, and if you would shove the fat man or not.
If it said "the mad man has etc. etc., what would you do?" then naturally it would be different, and you would try to stop anyone being killed, but in this instance, you only have two options available to you (to fuel debate, I guess.)
I understand where you're coming from, but I think the point of the dilemma is that we're not supposed to have the options such as negotiating with/ bribing the mad philosopher and so on... the question asks would you flip the switch or not, and if you would shove the fat man or not.
If it said "the mad man has etc. etc., what would you do?" then naturally it would be different, and you would try to stop anyone being killed, but in this instance, you only have two options available to you (to fuel debate, I guess.)

I get that, but I refuse to accept a no win situation.

If I have to make the given choice I would do both (utilitarianism has to come before your own comfort about killing people). I would then give my all making sure the deceased's loved one got justice gainst this nutter and champion a programme of mandatory psychological screenings for philosophy students so nothing like this ever happens again. And would also turn myself over to the authorities and rely on the legal system to see that this was necessary.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by History-Student
I get that, but I refuse to accept a no win situation.

If I have to make the given choice I would do both (utilitarianism has to come before yournown comfort about killing people). I would then give my all making sure the deceased's loved one got justice gainst this nutter and champion a programme of mandatory psychological screenings for philosophy students so nothing like this ever happens again. And would also turn myself over to the authorities and rely on the legal system to see that this was the lesser evil.

I think that's where we disagree - while I'm certainly no expert on utilitarianism, the basic principles I've read about I don't agree with at all.
I don't think I could live with the knowledge that I've ended someone's life because of my own actions personally, regardless of the number of lives that may be saved because of it or what I may do after.
Reply 32
The two scenarios are morally identical. I'd theorise that the reason why people treat the two different ethically is because whereas flicking a switch is seen as a 'non-violent' act, physically pushing someone over a bridge is seen as a physical act of violence intuitively causing people to be more hesitant about acting in the second scenario.

Either way, I think one is morally obligated to act in both cases, and choosing not to act would be very egocentric.
I think that's where we disagree - while I'm certainly no expert on utilitarianism, the basic principles I've read about I don't agree with at all.
I don't think I could live with the knowledge that I've ended someone's life because of my own actions personally, regardless of the number of lives that may be saved because of it or what I may do after.

That's fair enough. If I can't have my multi-option solution, I'd rather have 10 people walking around instead of 2, even if I have to live with the guilt/punishment from killing 2 people. But I can see where you're coming from.
Reply 34
I did this in my law extension class at sixth form, haha...

Turns out I was the only one who would do nothing on both occasions. To me, if the five people died, they would have died as a result of circumstances, if that makes any sense - I would have played no part in their death, it would have happened anyway. If I flipped the switch, I would be actively taking part in ending someone's life. Also, I don't like the thought of sacrificing one man for the sake of others. It's like placing prioritising someone else's life above another person's, and everyone is equal... it's too much like the "greater good" bull**** I don't believe in.

Sorry to be an archdouche here, but this is a prime example of the moral hypocrisy that's so common; how many times did the word 'I' appear in your post, you are making a moral judgement based on the implications of your decision on yourself, yet you are presenting your argument under the pretense that you have others best interests at heart.

I don't blame you though, humans are naturally egocentric, which I think makes morality very problematic.
Wasn't there an added third scenario?

"A man comes into the hospital with a broken finger, there are three other patients - one needing a heart transplant
one needing a kidney transplant
one needing a liver transplant -
would you kill the man with the broken finger and perform the three transplants to save the lives of the others?"

(assume they are perfect matches and all the operations would be 100% successful etc.)
Very interesting, but in the second situation i am physically killing a man with my bare hands, compared to just flicking a switch.
There is contact between me and the person who dies, rather than the first situation where there is no contact...(well...maybe his distant screams and cries for help) :tongue:
Reply 37
Original post by Liquid27
Sorry to be an archdouche here, but this is a prime example of the moral hypocrisy that's so common; how many times did the word 'I' appear in your post, you are making a moral judgement based on the implications of your decision on yourself, yet you are presenting your argument under the pretense that you have others best interests at heart.

I don't blame you though, humans are naturally egocentric, which I think makes morality very problematic.

True, I (haha) won't disagree with you there. While I will argue that I do have the interest of the man and the other five at heart - I certainly don't want to end his life, or theirs - it's true that a large part of the decision comes from not having to bear responsibility/ regret as a result of the other option, which is quite selfish. But it also does come from my belief in equality, and placing no one (no matter the quantity) above anybody else.

Yet you are right... hm. You've made me start to think pretty deeply about this!
Why not just throw yourself in front of it and try to stop it? That way you have no guilt of taking someone's life, no guilt of doing nothing. You might succeed, you might fail, but you did all you could.
If you pressed the switch at just the right time you could derail
the train and you could potentially save everyone!
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending