The Student Room Group

Is geography A-Level easy?

Or is it considered as a hard subject? Or did you just fly through the course. Because GCSE was easy.
Reply 1
Maybe I'm just working harder or have got better at Geography, but the AS-level is really not much harder than the GCSE. Many of the core concepts are the same, but you just study them in a little bit more depth. It'll be easier if you're studying the same topics as you did at GCSE (both physical topics are the same for me).

I have no idea about the A2 level yet, but apparently it's quite a lot harder as you have to write synoptic essays in one of the exams.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Deceiver
I have no idea about the A2 level yet, but apparently it's quite a lot harder as you have to write synoptic essays in one of the exams.

A2 essays are killer. But A2 topics are much more interesting and more in depth :smile:

In terms of AS, I would have to say in some ways it is similar to GCSE but there is a lot more emphasis on developing skills such as fieldwork. Geography may be seen as an 'easy' option but it definitely isn't. Not only do you have to learn the basic content of geography you are also expected to have good knowledge and understanding of a range of case studies for almost anything you study. The exams are quite challenging, for instance I do AQA geography and my summer A2 exam is 2 and a half hours long with two sections of short questions (one human topic, one physical) worth 25 marks each and then a synoptic 40 mark essay on another topic. Anyway, after my ramble I have to conclude geography a-level can be challenging but interesting :biggrin:
No, it's not easy
Reply 4
geography A-level certainly isnt a doss u have 2 work hard but it is very interesting
A level is quite a bit more developed than AS and the exam for aqa is a killer with a 40 mark essay at A level
Reply 5
Edexcel A2 Geo is hard but really interesting, unit 4 is a research paper with a 70 mark question, but im liking it.
Reply 6
Essentially, the gap from AS to A2 is larger than that from GCSE to AS.
But I suppose all A-Levels are hard? eh?
If you're taking AQA AS then the exam is demanding, but this is definately reflected in the grade boundaries!
Reply 9
even the aqa geography unit 1 is quite demanding with the 15 mark questions at the end but it is definetly reflected in the grade boundaries even 4 unit 1
Basing difficulty on the premise that "because GCSE is easy" is a tad naive. As it's an A-Level, the level of difficulty will naturally differ to that of GCSE*.

*it will be harder, if this wasn't painfully obvious enough.
For AQA, AS Geography isn't too bad, its a step up from GCSE but I think A2 is much harder than AS. However, that is just my personal opinion.
Reply 12
Yeah, GCSE was very easy. I found geography AS quite easy aswell, you can just learn everything you need from the text book when it comes down to it... but geography A2 is another question. The content isnt hard to grasp, but the amount of case studies you need to back up every single bit of content is ridiculous :frown:

Im revising for my Geography unit 3 A2 exam on tuesday and have about 30 case studies for the different topics (tectonics, world cities, development and globalisation) and ive tried over and over to learn in depth but just can't!
So, no it really, really isn't. Never think because a GCSE was easy that the Aevel will be too. I guess it helps if you're interested in it, I used to be - now personally, I cant stand the subject! Not putting you off doing it I think its a great subject to do, but you really so need to be committed to it to actually achieve a decent grade at Alevel, like most subjects at this level. Sorry to burst your bubble :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending