The Student Room Group

Gcse Options Year 9

I am picking computer Science,Business/Geography (still thinking),sports studies&r ripple science ofc because I want to be a pharmacist which options is more liked to chemistry base and pharmacist related business or geography which one should I route and edge it with because I have to choose one???
Reply 1
As a heads up I don't have much knowledge about being a pharmacist. I do know however that choosing either geography or business will not particularly help/hinder you either way at GCSE level. I would say the most important factor in your decision is, which one will you enjoy more? Getting a good grade is more important then the actual subject itself so you want to pick one that you feel confident in and that you'll like studying.

I looked up the entry requirements to be a pharmacist on the nhs website which I'll link below and they said all you need is at least two sciences, English language and maths, all of which you'll do anyway I assume.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/pharmacy/roles-pharmacy/pharmacist#:~:text=GCSEs%20are%20considered%20alongside%20A,the%20Access%20to%20HE%20Diploma

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Yeah but I have to choose one I find geography boring but easy but like apparently you can go on trips but I find business fun and easy so idk which one to go for which one would you go for if you were in my position?

Original post by Sandyfish
As a heads up I don't have much knowledge about being a pharmacist. I do know however that choosing either geography or business will not particularly help/hinder you either way at GCSE level. I would say the most important factor in your decision is, which one will you enjoy more? Getting a good grade is more important then the actual subject itself so you want to pick one that you feel confident in and that you'll like studying.

I looked up the entry requirements to be a pharmacist on the nhs website which I'll link below and they said all you need is at least two sciences, English language and maths, all of which you'll do anyway I assume.

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/pharmacy/roles-pharmacy/pharmacist#:~:text=GCSEs%20are%20considered%20alongside%20A,the%20Access%20to%20HE%20Diploma

Hope this helps
Reply 3
If you find them both equally easy I would go for business especially as it will get harder at GCSE level and that's the one you enjoy more. It would mean that if you really like it you could even take it as an a-level later on if that suits you. You do go on trips in geography but so you'd have to decide if that factor outweighs all the pros for business. I know people who've enjoyed both subjects and in the end only you can really decide which one will work better for you.
Original post by aryc_30
Yeah but I have to choose one I find geography boring but easy but like apparently you can go on trips but I find business fun and easy so idk which one to go for which one would you go for if you were in my position?
Reply 4
Yep you are right I was about to pick business anyways over geography is more fun and enjoyable to learn and also do you think I should pick it as an a level idk is because I wanna become a pharmacist but I can still pick it can you give me the best a level to do if I wanna become one and also tell me if I should do pharmacy or if it too stressful what can I do after etc please thank you.

Original post by Sandyfish
If you find them both equally easy I would go for business especially as it will get harder at GCSE level and that's the one you enjoy more. It would mean that if you really like it you could even take it as an a-level later on if that suits you. You do go on trips in geography but so you'd have to decide if that factor outweighs all the pros for business. I know people who've enjoyed both subjects and in the end only you can really decide which one will work better for you.
Reply 5
Original post by aryc_30
Yep you are right I was about to pick business anyways over geography is more fun and enjoyable to learn and also do you think I should pick it as an a level idk is because I wanna become a pharmacist but I can still pick it can you give me the best a level to do if I wanna become one and also tell me if I should do pharmacy or if it too stressful what can I do after etc please thank you.

Hi, it’s great to see that you’re sure of your future career but I would say to think about your GCSEs at the moment and then cross the A-level bridge when it comes!

It’s entirely your choice to do pharmacology so your future is in your hands and you decide (with advice of course if you so wish).

At the moment, I’d say to focus on your GCSEs and then by the end of them, you’ll have a deeper insight into which subjects you like best and those would be the best to pursue at A-level.

Do have a look at UCAS’ website for the entry requirements for the pharmacology course of different universities as it will give you a general idea as to which A-levels are most commonly required! All the best!!
Original post by aryc_30
I am picking computer Science,Business/Geography (still thinking),sports studies&r ripple science ofc because I want to be a pharmacist which options is more liked to chemistry base and pharmacist related business or geography which one should I route and edge it with because I have to choose one???

Hi! I picked my subjects for gcse a few months ago so I can understand the slight confusion.
For universities, employers and sixth forms/colleges, they mainly look at the gcse grades rather than the actual subjects themselves. Even if they look at the subjects, they mainly look at maths, english and as you're wanting to go into pharmaceutical industry, science as well but those are all compulsory subjects, so you would anyways be doing it.

A level subjects are looked at more, however, so don't worry too much about what you pick right now, just focus on your personal enjoyment of the subjects (as that would most probably affected how motivated you are to study that subject and would affect your grades as a result).

Some things to consider are: what you would enjoy more in terms of lessons + subjects; what skills you're looking for (business/negotiation skills or geographical/fieldwork skills for example); pros + cons for each subject (that helped me a lot when considering my options); and which subject you find easier/less difficult

I hope that helps and good luck with your options!
Reply 7
I would agree with what's been said. Your A-levels are really far away and so is your career and both are things which you don't need to figure out yet. Instead I would focus on your gcses for now, see which subjects you enjoy and find out what interests you. When it comes to picking your a-levels you will know what to do, you don't need to worry about it.
Original post by aryc_30
Original post by aryc_30

You don't have to do triple science to do any science at A-level. If that is preventing you from doing another subject you enjoy I would recommend doing combined science, but if it is not then triple is a good option as well.
Reply 9
Original post by aryc_30

Heya!

I would recommend picking the one that sounds more interesting to you :h: Usually unis just want maths and english GCSE, so don't worry too much! I would recommend looking at the content and just picking the one that sounds more interesting to you!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest