The Student Room Group

AS Physics or A2 Computing? Advice needed

Hello,
I'm currently in the first year of taking my A-Levels. The time has come to decide what to drop for A2.

However my school will let me continue doing 4 subjects if I want. I want to get a degree in Maths or Chemistry, but most likely the former.

I currently take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry & Computing. However, I've realised that Physics at AS would be really useful for both Chemistry and Maths at degree level; whichever I choose to do.

And so I need advice; should I carry on Computing and do the A2 year to get the full A-Level, or should I drop Computing leaving it at AS and then do an AS in Physics next year? Or should I try and defy their recomendations and keep all four of my current options and do Physics as a fifth subject? Is that advisable in my second A-Level year? Which would the universities prefer?

Also, in Maths/Further Maths I only do 1 mechanics module; M1, in the A2 year. Will this hurt my chances of getting on a Maths course, and would the AS physics help me counteract the lack of Mecahnics? Or should I perhaps ask my school to enter me for some additional Mech modules?

In case it matters, here are my January module grades.
CHEM1 - A - (Chemistry)
CORE1 - A - Maths
STATS 1 - B - Further Maths
DECISION 2 - B - Further Maths
COMP2 - A - Computing

Thanks.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Physics!!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by NoobWithMoobs
Hello,
I'm currently in the first year of taking my A-Levels. The time has come to decide what to drop for A2.

However my school will let me continue doing 4 subjects if I want. I want to get a degree in Maths or Chemistry, but most likely the former.

I currently take Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry & Computing. However, I've realised that Physics at AS would be really useful for both Chemistry and Maths at degree level; whichever I choose to do.

And so I need advice; should I carry on Computing and do the A2 year to get the full A-Level, or should I drop Computing leaving it at AS and then do an AS in Physics next year? Or should I try and defy their recomendations and keep all four of my current options and do Physics as a fifth subject? Is that advisable in my second A-Level year? Which would the universities prefer?

In case it matters, here are my January module grades.
CHEM1 - A - (Chemistry)
CORE1 - A - Maths
STATS 1 - B - Further Maths
DECISION 1 - B - Further Maths
COMP2 - A - Computing

Thanks.

What sort of maths degree would you want to go on to do?
I agree - take physics and drop the computing, unless you really enjoy it of course :smile:
Reply 4
You don't "need" another subject. If you aren't bothered about computing then maybe just drop that and take the Physics AS. Taking all 4 + the AS would probably be a *lot* of work and therefore all of your grades will suffer.

In the end: it probably won't matter. As long as you meet entry over the 3 A-levels then you'll be fine. I'm intending to do Chemistry at university. For those who don't do Physics at A-level they offer modules to bring everything up to speed, so don't worry about the "need" for it.

Maybe trying to teach yourself the other mechanics modules would be more beneficial than doing the Physics? It's something you can do outside of college, in your own time. It *may* be possible even that you can be entered for the M2 exam, for example, and then if you did better in that than S1/D1 then you can use that mark for your A-level rather than the B you have.

If you have the interest though, doing the Physics would probably be a good choice.

Quick Reply

Latest