The Student Room Group

LSE or KCL

Hello,

I have a conditional offer for MSc in Empires, Colonialism and Globalization at LSE and for MA in International Relations at KCL. I would like to continue for the PhD.

Which one should i choose?

The subject at LSE is extremely interesting for me and it is the area that I would desperately love to study. I also think that LSE is a better uni. However, MSc in ECG is at the Department of International History and I will have to write a dissertation in the field of History with the substantial use of primary sources. I have a double BA in Political science and International relations from insignificant university. I am not acquainted with History, how Historians think, what concepts they use or with the use of primary sources, how to critically assess them and I do not know how challenging this programme can be. Since English is my second language I will have to struggle with it during the stressful 3 hour examinations and given the unfamiliarity with history I will be overkilled by robots with their bachelors in history from Oxford or from somewhere else. I would not like to fail and lose 20K, since I do not have a rich background. I speak just English and my mother tongue which would make studying history from primary sources also a little bit harder.

I heard that KCL gives more emphasis on written works and less on unseen examinations, which would suit me better, but I do not know if it is true. It is also the same field as my bachelor so I would be more familiar with it. It is also probably a better degree in terms of employability because it is directly MA in International Relations. However, I still consider KCL as less prestigious than LSE and I have heard from a current friend studying at KCL that he is disappointed, lecturers are uninterested and that the programme is not challenging. I am also not sure whether I can even go to KCL, because I have a conditional offer to have an overall mark 1,3, but I have 1,31 and I have no more courses to amend my GPA.

Please help!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
LSE all the way, better rep. sounds like a better course for you and KCL Ive heard mixed reviews even though it is considered an intl recognized university. LSE is top for in its field for social studies especailly if you want to go and do a PHD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending