The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

N/a

Ignore
(edited 2 months ago)
LSE and Oxford don’t look for the same thing in a PS.

What are your other 3 choices?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by A h
Hi TSR users,
I got rejected by LSE yesterday, despite 'thinking' that I met the requirements. My feedback stated that my Personal Statement was not up to par. However, I also got rejected by Oxford, post-interview and when I received my feedback, they actually praised my PS and stated that my faults lied elsewhere.
Here's where I am struggling, if my top two unis rejected me, is there a chance I have any hope left?
- a now depressed year 13

Those are both extremely competitive unis. The vast majority of applicants to both Oxford and LSE don't receive an offer - despite the fact that they meet the requirements.

I assume you followed the general advice to avoid applying to five very competitive unis?
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
Those are both extremely competitive unis. The vast majority of applicants to both Oxford and LSE don't receive an offer - despite the fact that they meet the requirements.

I assume you followed the general advice to avoid applying to five very competitive unis?

Waiting for KCL - have offers from Bristol and a safe option
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
LSE and Oxford don’t look for the same thing in a PS.

What are your other 3 choices?

Just waiting on kcl now , two other offers already
If you already have an offer from Bristol, I don't understand why you asked, "Here's where I am struggling, if my top two unis rejected me, is there a chance I have any hope left?"
Am I missing something?
Original post by SilverPebble
If you already have an offer from Bristol, I don't understand why you asked, "Here's where I am struggling, if my top two unis rejected me, is there a chance I have any hope left?"
Am I missing something?

Sounds like they have a firm and back up, so I don't either.
Reply 7
Original post by SilverPebble
Am I missing something?

Fourth choice
Original post by A h
Fourth choice

Ah, so your question is actually, "If Oxford and LSE rejected me, is there a chance I have any hope left for getting an offer from KCL?" ...?
Original post by A h
Hi TSR users,
I got rejected by LSE yesterday, despite 'thinking' that I met the requirements. My feedback stated that my Personal Statement was not up to par. However, I also got rejected by Oxford, post-interview and when I received my feedback, they actually praised my PS and stated that my faults lied elsewhere.
Here's where I am struggling, if my top two unis rejected me, is there a chance I have any hope left?

Oxford and top London universities are massively over subscribed due to the numbers wanting to study there. Anyone applying there is far more likely to get rejected than accepted and that is something you should have been anticipating when applying to those universities.

This is the reason why we recommend not applying to more than 2 of these universities and to apply to 2 universities that are likely to give offers.

LSE offer rate is only 6.6% and over 1/2 those offered are Chinese or Indian so your chances of getting in were very slim.

You have an offer Bristol which itself is as good as Kings but isnt as difficult to get an offer from due to the fact it isnt in London and as already said your chances of getting into Oxford or LSE were slim.

You can either accept the place at Bristol or take a gap year and apply to Oxford and LSE again but you may well be rejected by both again.

In 2021, the LSE acceptance rate was 6.6% (according to data by UCAS). Of the 25,845 applications London School of Economics received, it offered places to just 1,715 students.
Reply 10
Original post by A h
Hi TSR users,

Hi, I got rejected from LSE this evening and feel like absolute shite about it too, waiting for them to tell me what I did wrong. Still waiting on UCL tho so ig there's still a little bit of hope tho! I can't really give u any advice on how to feel better as I have not figured that out for myself yet but I hope that its at least comforting to know that you are not alone.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by rainxx
Hi, I got rejected from LSE this evening and feel like absolute shite about it too, waiting for them to tell me what I did wrong. Still waiting on UCL tho so ig there's still a little bit of hope tho! I can't really give u any advice on how to feel better as I have not figured that out for myself yet but I hope that its at least comforting to know that you are not alone.

Hey , hope you hear back from UCL soon, I’m waiting to hear from KCL and the apprehension is crazy omg
Reply 12
In 10 years time it wont actually matter where you went to Uni.

Careers depend on you, your motivation, your abilities, your skills - not on the badge of the Uni you went to.
Going to LSE or any other 'top' Uni does not guarantee you instant happiness and a successful life.

Go to Bristol - you will have a great time.
Reply 13
Original post by A h
Hey , hope you hear back from UCL soon, I’m waiting to hear from KCL and the apprehension is crazy omg

I got into KCL, I would recommend checking the 'Kings Apply' portal a lot as I got accepted by KCL on that but didn't hear from UCAS about being accepted for over a day, I wish you the best in getting in!
Reply 14
Original post by rainxx

update: Got rejected as they didn't think my GCSE grades were competitive enough.
Original post by rainxx
update: Got rejected as they didn't think my GCSE grades were competitive enough.

Awww no, I got rejected due to my PS but I call it bs - reckon if i applied internationally I would’ve got in
Original post by A h
Hi TSR users,

If you are a credible LSE/Oxbridge candidate i.e. on track for A/A* grades you will almost certainly have plenty of opportunities at any number of world class universities (either through your other 3 applications or alternative applications).

Move on, focus on the next opportunities. You’ll be fine.
Good luck for KCL, saw loads of offers on Reddit, you might be next

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending