The Student Room Group

Medicine AND Economics at University??

Hi everyone :smile:

Basically, I'm a GCSE student and I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember but, I made the mistake of taking Economics at GCSE and I absolutely love it! So much so that I'd love to study it at university, however, I'd also love to study medicine and hopefully become a surgeon.

I'm doing quite well in my sciences as I've been getting A*'s so hopefully I'll get an A* overall in all three of my sciences, but obviously, this is slightly irrelevant at sixth form as it's much more difficult. I'm also doing an accelerated course in Maths GCSE so I'll finish in the summer of year 10 and do the C1 AS module in year 11, finishing the maths A2 by year 12. At the moment I'm looking to do 5 A-levels: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths and Economics but I'm aware that this is quite a lot so I'm thinking of just doing Physics instead of both the maths courses as that's what I need to get into Med. School. I'm really committed although I've gotta admit that as a teenager I tend to procrastinate :/

I know it's such an odd combination of subjects but I'd really love to study Economics at University so if anyone has any information on top universities that offer both courses in the UK or North America, I'd really appreciate it.

Peace out
erm pretty sure that course doesn't exist anywhere
Reply 2
Lol, Let me get this straight you want to study Medicine and Economics as a joint honours degree? :lolwut:
Reply 3
correct me if I'm wrong but don't you go to med school after doing an undergraduate degree in the US? if so it'd be possible to do both, but I'm not sure about this and also it means you'd have to be paying US fees for a long time...
Reply 4
Original post by TheSkyIsTheLimit
Hi everyone :smile:

Basically, I'm a GCSE student and I've wanted to be a doctor for as long as I can remember but, I made the mistake of taking Economics at GCSE and I absolutely love it! So much so that I'd love to study it at university, however, I'd also love to study medicine and hopefully become a surgeon.

I'm doing quite well in my sciences as I've been getting A*'s so hopefully I'll get an A* overall in all three of my sciences, but obviously, this is slightly irrelevant at sixth form as it's much more difficult. I'm also doing an accelerated course in Maths GCSE so I'll finish in the summer of year 10 and do the C1 AS module in year 11, finishing the maths A2 by year 12. At the moment I'm looking to do 5 A-levels: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths and Economics but I'm aware that this is quite a lot so I'm thinking of just doing Physics instead of both the maths courses as that's what I need to get into Med. School. I'm really committed although I've gotta admit that as a teenager I tend to procrastinate :/

I know it's such an odd combination of subjects but I'd really love to study Economics at University so if anyone has any information on top universities that offer both courses in the UK or North America, I'd really appreciate it.

Peace out

wharton
I highly recommend it (if you're a talented person in general and have a ridiculously strong reputation growing up).
I do recommend Wharton to you, it's widely known as the top Business school in the World, Wharton is at least as good as Harvard.
Only graduates in US can study Medicine, competition is tough so you should graduate from a great uni.

In terms of full on economics programs, I recommend Harvard and Chicago.

In UK, I recommend LSE for Economics, followed by Oxbridge.

Get some work experiences down you.
(edited 12 years ago)
You are so similar to me it's scary.

But you have to choose one or the other, which I thought would be pretty obvious considering they are so different. I'm in EXACTLY the same situation as you, want to do both, but I know I'll have to choose one in the end.
Reply 6
Have you done any research at all? You'd either have to do an Economics degree and then go for Graduate Entry Medicine, or get into Cambridge Medicine and then intercalate in Economics. Not sure how possible the latter is, they say you can do a BA from a range of subjects (as opposed to an obligatory biomedical Bsc at other intercalating med schools). Unless you can pay for the ridiculous fees, or you think you're competitive enough for need-blind admission, it's probably not worth thinking about America.

If you're really set on doing both subjects, GEP Medicine is probably the most plausible option. Generally it wouldn't be recommended to set out on this route though as GEP is a lot more competitive than undergraduate entry. You still have time to rethink whether it's worth the risk and money.
In Germany it could work. (Without paying such high fees, but probably with one additional year to learn German.)
Reply 8
Original post by floralia
correct me if I'm wrong but don't you go to med school after doing an undergraduate degree in the US? if so it'd be possible to do both, but I'm not sure about this and also it means you'd have to be paying US fees for a long time...

Yeah it would work in the states. Graduate entry medicine anywhere in the world is so so much more competitive than undergrad entry though.
You could also do Medicine and then an MBA?
Reply 10
You can go to the US and do an undergrad in something + economics, then either come back here for graduate entry medicine or stay there for med school.
Reply 11
So you want to be a Private Doctor? Sorting how much money you get over how many patients you actually help :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending