The Student Room Group

A-levels options

I have picked Economics as an option for A-levels but now I am unsure on whether I can do good, I have heard that it is a hard subject. Also, I am unsure which career path I want to take (I do have some options) so I have considered economics in case I do not want to do medicine/dentistry. Additionally, would it be best to swap Chemistry with Biology instead?
And what websites contain good resources for Economics (Edexcel), let me know.
Original post by jiungie
I have picked Economics as an option for A-levels but now I am unsure on whether I can do good, I have heard that it is a hard subject. Also, I am unsure which career path I want to take (I do have some options) so I have considered economics in case I do not want to do medicine/dentistry. Additionally, would it be best to swap Chemistry with Biology instead?
And what websites contain good resources for Economics (Edexcel), let me know.

I can't tell you whether you would be scoring well on a subject you have not studied before. The only thing that I could recommend is to look through the textbooks and see if you can understand the material as well as looking through past papers and the corresponding answers. If it looks difficult to you, despite the fact you haven't studied it before, then you should reconsider your options.

I am not sure if you want to do economics at degree level. If you are, it's redundant to do economics at A Level; you should really do Maths as your A Level instead of economics, since maths is the required subject.

If you want to keep your options open for medicine/dentistry, you should be looking at both biology and chemistry as your options, not either. For a number of degree courses in medicine and dentistry, both chemistry and biology are required subjects (only a handful of courses require either chemistry or biology).

All in all, your options should have been chemistry, biology, and maths with economics as the optional 4th option (I would have preferred further maths instead of economics, but that's up to you).
Reply 2
Thank you for your help. Yes, my options were originally maths, biology, chemistry and economics (as the 4th) but my school has said that it would be hard to do 4 A-levels and recommended me to do an EPQ or do AS L3 Financial Studies. I think I will change the options again, hopefully picking the right ones. I am kind of forced to do medicine (by family and relatives etc) but I am not sure if I want to pursue that career just yet.
Original post by MindMax2000
I can't tell you whether you would be scoring well on a subject you have not studied before. The only thing that I could recommend is to look through the textbooks and see if you can understand the material as well as looking through past papers and the corresponding answers. If it looks difficult to you, despite the fact you haven't studied it before, then you should reconsider your options.

I am not sure if you want to do economics at degree level. If you are, it's redundant to do economics at A Level; you should really do Maths as your A Level instead of economics, since maths is the required subject.

If you want to keep your options open for medicine/dentistry, you should be looking at both biology and chemistry as your options, not either. For a number of degree courses in medicine and dentistry, both chemistry and biology are required subjects (only a handful of courses require either chemistry or biology).

All in all, your options should have been chemistry, biology, and maths with economics as the optional 4th option (I would have preferred further maths instead of economics, but that's up to you).
Original post by jiungie
Thank you for your help. Yes, my options were originally maths, biology, chemistry and economics (as the 4th) but my school has said that it would be hard to do 4 A-levels and recommended me to do an EPQ or do AS L3 Financial Studies. I think I will change the options again, hopefully picking the right ones. I am kind of forced to do medicine (by family and relatives etc) but I am not sure if I want to pursue that career just yet.

Medicine is one of those careers where your heart needs to be in it, and you can't see yourself doing anything else (ask any doctor and they will say something similar). If you are in any way hesitant, then it's best to err and check what you actually want to do.
I would be very hestitant to do any subject your family/relatives tell you to do. It's firstly unethical. Second, you would be under a lot of unnecessary stress and it can significantly affect your mental health. Third, it's not a intrinsic motivator, so you will end up forcing yourself to do it. Fourth, you might not feel like it's you so you would end up hating yourself doing the subject/job. In a lot of cases, you can be doing the degree for the wrong reasons, and you can end up regretting it. The choice needs to come from you, not from anyone else.

Having said that, Maths, Biology, and Chemistry are subjects that would pretty much open you to any degree at university except for most things in engineering, physics, maths (at high end universities, but not mid or low tier universities), languages, history, some geography degrees, some literature degrees, and music. Personally, if I want to max out my options, I would have picked all 3 sciences and maths (with further maths being a fifth option if possible).
Also, most jobs in healthcare, education, and academia will require a relevant degree. Pretty much any other job outside of these 3 can be done via apprenticeships, professional qualifications, working your way up, etc. If you get a degree in the life sciences, you can almost be able to go into a job in any sector that you want.

One of the good ways to see if you want to do medicine is to do some sort of work experience or volunteering at the NHS (you will likely want to do it if you want to apply for medicine anyway). If you are in any way unsure whether medicine is for you after the experience, I wouldn't do it.
I would also ask an unbiased doctor (I presume your family and relatives also work in the NHS) for an opinion.
Recently, the NHS has announced that they are going through a number of reforms, so any questions you do ask might not necessarily reflect the conditions of what it's like in the future (or by the time you graduate).

Quick Reply

Latest