The Student Room Group

Subject combination

Hi! I’m in Year 13 and I got my AS grades and they were super bad. My subject combos are Mathematics, Physics, Economics and Marine Science. I got an abbc and Economics are the lowest. My c is borederline b which is 69. I’m thinking of dropping economics and resitting AS Maths for winter series to get a strong A. My predicted grades without economics are ABB/A*BB. My problems are;

1) I’m doing Computer Science. Will university like Edinburgh consider me if my subjects are Math, Physics and Marine Science?

2) I’m submitting UCAS on january to use my new predicted garades for Math. Will I be at disadvantage?

Please help.
Original post by littlenyet
Hi! I’m in Year 13 and I got my AS grades and they were super bad. My subject combos are Mathematics, Physics, Economics and Marine Science. I got an abbc and Economics are the lowest. My c is borederline b which is 69. I’m thinking of dropping economics and resitting AS Maths for winter series to get a strong A. My predicted grades without economics are ABB/A*BB. My problems are;

1) I’m doing Computer Science. Will university like Edinburgh consider me if my subjects are Math, Physics and Marine Science?

2) I’m submitting UCAS on january to use my new predicted garades for Math. Will I be at disadvantage?

Please help.

Hi there :hugs:

First of all, do you mean you are in year 12? So you've not applied to uni yet but you're considering CompSci at Edinburgh?

Whereabouts in the country are you? Scotland/Wales?

1) Check Edinburgh's website and you can always ask them at an open day.

2) I'm not sure what you mean here.

From your post I think you are wondering about whether to resit maths to get a better predicted grade in order to apply for CompSci at Edinburgh next January?
Is this right?

Here to help,
Cheese
Reply 2
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hi there :hugs:

First of all, do you mean you are in year 12? So you've not applied to uni yet but you're considering CompSci at Edinburgh?

Whereabouts in the country are you? Scotland/Wales?

1) Check Edinburgh's website and you can always ask them at an open day.

2) I'm not sure what you mean here.

From your post I think you are wondering about whether to resit maths to get a better predicted grade in order to apply for CompSci at Edinburgh next January?
Is this right?

Here to help,
Cheese

Hi! Sorry if my questions came out unclear. Yes! I haven’t applied on UCAS yet, I’ll be applying for 2024 admission.
1. Unfortunately, I’m an international student so I’m unable to join the open day. But I’ll be sure to email the university on this :smile:
2. My college recommends their students to apply on early but I’ll be applying to UCAS after winter series result examination came out, which is mid January. I was thinking if applying at this time will make me at a disadvantage, considering that universities give out offers even before January.

Yes, I’m planning on resitting maths during Oct and use that grade to apply for UCAS on January 2024.
Thank you :smile:
Hi! Sorry if my questions came out unclear. Yes! I haven’t applied on UCAS yet, I’ll be applying for 2024 admission.
1. Unfortunately, I’m an international student so I’m unable to join the open day. But I’ll be sure to email the university on this :smile:
2. My college recommends their students to apply on early but I’ll be applying to UCAS after winter series result examination came out, which is mid January. I was thinking if applying at this time will make me at a disadvantage, considering that universities give out offers even before January.

Yes, I’m planning on resitting maths during Oct and use that grade to apply for UCAS on January 2024.

hey thanks so much for this, I'm gonna pass you onto my fellow volunteer @04MR17 who can give you a hand with this :hugs:

Please help.

Hello :hi:

Have I got this right?
- You're an international student
- You've got ABBC grades in your AS levels, does this contribute towards your total A Level? (they are separate in England now, so I'm checking this)
- You're applying to uni next year (2024 entry)
- What course are you thinking of applying for?
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Hello :hi:

Have I got this right?
- You're an international student
- You've got ABBC grades in your AS levels, does this contribute towards your total A Level? (they are separate in England now, so I'm checking this)
- You're applying to uni next year (2024 entry)
- What course are you thinking of applying for?

Hello! :smile: Yes! You’ve got them right. I’m thinking of applying for computer science. My top uni choice is University of Edinburgh. My second choice is Glagow and I’m still considering the other 3
Hello! :smile: Yes! You’ve got them right. I’m thinking of applying for computer science. My top uni choice is University of Edinburgh. My second choice is Glasgow and I’m still considering the other 3

Fab, first bit of advice is that just doing 3 subjects is the way to go. Getting the higher grades is more important than doing more qualifications. Edinburgh want A*A*A* - AAB. Glasgow at AAA ABB is a really solid option too. I would have one or two unis at lower grades to give yourself a bit of a range.
1) Lancaster requires three A Levels, not just the AS. However, Math is a desirable subject so you might get a lower offer.

2) Apart from applicants apply to Oxford, Cambridge or Medicine and other medicine-related courses, the UCAS equal consideration deadline is 31 January 2024. If you apply by that date, universities have to treat your application exactly the same as if they had received it earlier. So as long as you apply by 31 January, then you will not be disadvantaged.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Lancaster requires three A Levels, not just the AS.

We've got an International student here Kao, so the AS is a component of the A Level in this case.
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
Fab, first bit of advice is that just doing 3 subjects is the way to go. Getting the higher grades is more important than doing more qualifications. Edinburgh want A*A*A* - AAB. Glasgow at AAA ABB is a really solid option too. I would have one or two unis at lower grades to give yourself a bit of a range.

Alright thank you :smile:

I have an additional question. My tutor mentioned that applying to a double honours degree might grant me a higher chance in getting an offer due to less people applying to the degree. Is this true?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 10

I have an additional question. My tutor mentioned that applying to a double honours degree might grant me a higher chance in getting an offer due to less people applying to the degree. Is this true?

For example, University of Edinburgh Computer Science and Management Science. Additionally, Am I expected to show experiences and knowledges in both fields.

Not really. :erm: I did a joint honours honours course and I loved it, if you think it's for you then definitely go for it. :thumbsup:
But do it because you want to do it, don't do it because you think it'll be easier to get into. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest