The Student Room Group

High scorers, how did you learn and revise?

How did those with high scores learn and revise?

Here’s a few things to look up for those needing some help:

Mind maps
Loci method
Roman room method
Journey method
Spaced repetition
Deep focus
Flash cards
Short term memory
Long term memory
Mnemonics
Acronyms
Multiple intelligences- Howard Gardeners
Blurting
Senses and learning.

The top being spaced repetition,
deep focus and mnemonics.

I’d love to hear what you used to get your high scores, so we can help those further down the ladder etc.

PS I received a grade 8 English and passed level 3/ A level. I’ve sat O levels, CSEs and GCSEs. Memory techniques can make the difference.
(edited 6 months ago)
OHHHH that helps a lot!
Thank youuu so much!! <3
Reply 2
How to set up a memory palace?

First decide how big it needs to be - is it for an entire subject like maths or a topic like fractions. For large subjects then a campus or entire school can be used. For a topic then a house or just one room can be used. It’s best to use places you know well.

Subjects
I use an entire school or campus. First decide where each subdivision will be. For instance geometry would need its own building or multiple rooms, as would algebra, ratios, numbers etc.

Then each topic will need its own room within that building - so volume in one room, angles in another, and circles in another.

Take some time to learn this map - where you’ve placed each subject and topic. Once you recall those easily you can go onto the next step.

In each room build visuals to remember - so for brackets I imagine ( ) shaped balloons swinging from the doors going inside each thing I need to remember has its own area. So single brackets on one wall with a women expanding in weight wrapped in tin foil. Then double brackets on the next wall with its visualisation, Three brackets on the back wall and so on.

The rooms can be used for as many things as you like as long as you can attach the visual to something. I use walls, floors, ceilings, doors, tables even lights ( a large globe shaped light is the same as a sphere). Just let your imagination play. Anything that you can remember then use.

Once you’ve set up one room draw or note it on a page for its location and what it looks like. Then go over it repeatedly so as soon as you think of the topic you see the room in your mind. Very much like being in a computer VR game.

If you use something repeatedly then decide on a set visual for it:

The decision sign for me is a tennis net
A X is a disciple on a cross.
() are helium balloons
Circles are large iced 🎂
Triangles - the chocolate bar or musical instrument

You can use anything you can imagine the bigger or funny the better.

The more you practice the quicker it becomes. Just go over the memory palace regularly- it’s like etching in stone.

If you need to remember something in order and don’t want to use a sentence or acronyms, you can use a memory palace or journey method to do it.

Imagine you are walking on a journey or in a room. Place each item you need to remember along that journey - visualise something to remind you of it. Make it outrageous and funny. Then move to the next area and the next item. Once you’ve done about 7-9 stages go back and to repeat it in your mind. Do this for a day then go back over the items from yesterday and add the next 7-9 chunks.

This journey doesn’t have to be indoors it can be outside. I use one road to remember prime nos. When I walk along the road I visual things bouncing around or in gardens or sticking out roofs to recall the numbers.

Memorisation can be lots of fun. Yes it can take time, but it is a technique that means you can recall a lot of information.

Start small and see if it works for you.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
How to remember quotes?

You can use the journey method as above but also one used by singers for lyrics. Separate quotes into lines (not long sentences). Then read down the lines paying particular attention to the first word of each line. Now just read the first word of each line. You can even imagine each word is hanging from a washing line. Now close your eyes and see if you can recall the first word of each line. Go back to reading each line as before. Do this until you just need to recall the first word to remember the rest of that line. This is how singers recall lyrics. If you need to turn the text into a song and sing it in your head.

If you can’t remember a bit go to the washing line to see the word before and the word after and it usually will help you remember the one in the middle.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest