The Student Room Group

Revision help

I am doing sociology for a levels and i am stuck on a C and i am trying to get an A in the year 13 mock, any revision tips, so far i am thinking of making flashcards for each topic- with key studies and theories and just active recall those but idk what else to do, i am rlly confused
Hi!

When you think about the best ways to revise, it is always best to find what works best for you. There are four main types of learners. These types are visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinaesthetic. I will give you some examples below for each type:

Visual - Make flashcards, posters, turn long notes into concise bullet points.
Auditory - Use mnemonics, listen to a podcast/YouTube video, make up questions and ask someone to test you verbally.
Reading/Writing - Quite self-explanatory but take lots of notes, read through them, turn diagrams and charts into words.
Kinaesthetic - Associate your notes with actions, make your notes into a powerpoint and present them.

Once you have found a method that works for you, I would speak to your teacher about how you can best use that. It's always good to have a few points from key theorists such as Marx, but if you can remember some from lesser known theorists then it shows you have done more extensive reading.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
Mike
Thank you
Original post by Sparklingroses
I am doing sociology for a levels and i am stuck on a C and i am trying to get an A in the year 13 mock, any revision tips, so far i am thinking of making flashcards for each topic- with key studies and theories and just active recall those but idk what else to do, i am rlly confused

I just finished y131 Flashcards were a lifesaver. I'd say yes do them for every topic. I also did a technique where you can find those classroom spinner tools, I would input theorists/concepts and then test myself until I got all of them right. I also used to just open documents and type up everything I knew about a topic and then come back and add in red if I forgot (did on paper too). Practice Qs are always good - I usually go for the biggest markers to try. Just make plans of how you would answer the Q. Active recall is probs best. There are creators on Youtube who do make helpful revision stuff if that's how you revise. If in doubt, maybe talk to teachers as they can always help. I just used to make lots of resources with info because there's so much to learn so breaking it down really helps
Original post by misseuropa
I just finished y131 Flashcards were a lifesaver. I'd say yes do them for every topic. I also did a technique where you can find those classroom spinner tools, I would input theorists/concepts and then test myself until I got all of them right. I also used to just open documents and type up everything I knew about a topic and then come back and add in red if I forgot (did on paper too). Practice Qs are always good - I usually go for the biggest markers to try. Just make plans of how you would answer the Q. Active recall is probs best. There are creators on Youtube who do make helpful revision stuff if that's how you revise. If in doubt, maybe talk to teachers as they can always help. I just used to make lots of resources with info because there's so much to learn so breaking it down really helps

Thank you, I have started to make flashcards for the topics, and some essay plans and hoping to recall them as soon as I finish making my revision materials over summer
How did you find time over year 13 to go over year 12 content? And how often would you do this?
Thank you, I have started to make flashcards for the topics, and some essay plans and hoping to recall them as soon as I finish making my revision materials over summer
How did you find time over year 13 to go over year 12 content? And how often would you do this?

I would try use any free periods/ make use of time in the holidays and weekends. Even (if you can) just go over stuff at lunch or on the way to college. I'd try narrow it down so, for example, I'd stay after college and spend an hour going over one topic. I think from January up to exams is when things do start getting serious - definitely make use of the various half terms/holidays. I'd try do at least an hour or two on each module each week as a rough number. E.g. I'd do one session of Crime on the Monday and go over certain topics then do another session on the Friday and do other topics and maybe test myself to see if I remembered stuff from the Monday. It always depends on what you need to know - using the time to focus on what you don't know rather than just repeating the same stuff. Making a timetable is helpful but don't beat yourself up if things change or you miss a session. Do things in one hour sessions rather than spend a whole day constantly cramming.
Original post by misseuropa
I would try use any free periods/ make use of time in the holidays and weekends. Even (if you can) just go over stuff at lunch or on the way to college. I'd try narrow it down so, for example, I'd stay after college and spend an hour going over one topic. I think from January up to exams is when things do start getting serious - definitely make use of the various half terms/holidays. I'd try do at least an hour or two on each module each week as a rough number. E.g. I'd do one session of Crime on the Monday and go over certain topics then do another session on the Friday and do other topics and maybe test myself to see if I remembered stuff from the Monday. It always depends on what you need to know - using the time to focus on what you don't know rather than just repeating the same stuff. Making a timetable is helpful but don't beat yourself up if things change or you miss a session. Do things in one hour sessions rather than spend a whole day constantly cramming.

Thank you so much this was helpful
Reply 7

Hello there,
hope you’re well,
I took media studies for the first time in AS level AQA level do you have any notes for it or any resources which could be beneficial also do u have to give exams for media in A2 or in AS ?
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi!

When you think about the best ways to revise, it is always best to find what works best for you. There are four main types of learners. These types are visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinaesthetic. I will give you some examples below for each type:

Visual - Make flashcards, posters, turn long notes into concise bullet points.
Auditory - Use mnemonics, listen to a podcast/YouTube video, make up questions and ask someone to test you verbally.
Reading/Writing - Quite self-explanatory but take lots of notes, read through them, turn diagrams and charts into words.
Kinaesthetic - Associate your notes with actions, make your notes into a powerpoint and present them.

Once you have found a method that works for you, I would speak to your teacher about how you can best use that. It's always good to have a few points from key theorists such as Marx, but if you can remember some from lesser known theorists then it shows you have done more extensive reading.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
Mike

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending