The Student Room Group

Interested in collaborating with a medstudent on an iPad app?

Hi guys,

My name's Ciarán, I'm a 3rd year medic at Peninsula Medical School own in the south west. In our 4th year we do a project on "Doctors as Teachers" and it requires creating a teaching aid of some kind, then writing it up.

I'm looking for a computer sicence student interesting in iOS programming that might want to collaborate with me on this project, so that it might benefit both of our courses/careers!

I'm looking to create an iPad app teaching medical students/doctors how to identify various tropical diseases via. microscopy. eg. a medical student on an elective somewhere is working in a small clinic, patients comes in with a fever, he/she takes a quick blood sample, chucks it on a slide and pops it under the microscope and can compare what they see to reference images/videos/descriptions on the app. Below would be an example of a particular subtype of malaria (the difference can be quite subtle so some kind of reference and description about what you're looking for is incredibly useful)

The idea would be I would source all the content, write all the entries (which will be referenced to journal articles an whatnot) and you would design an application to present this information.

Sorry for the long post, but that's the idea in a nutshell! If anyone is interested please get in touch! There's no rush on this, I'm looking at a timescale of up to 12 months to finish it!
(edited 13 years ago)
May I ask, how many different diseases do you hope to cover? Or would you do a certain number and then continuously add to it over time? Also, how would a student identify a disease as being malaria, without knowing from looking at the sample that the disease is actually malaria and thus being able to search up malaria? Would you not need some sort of feature describing/picture recognition system? I ask just out of interest, unfortunately I have no experience in iPhone apps.
Reply 2
Original post by AndroidLight
May I ask, how many different diseases do you hope to cover? Or would you do a certain number and then continuously add to it over time? Also, how would a student identify a disease as being malaria, without knowing from looking at the sample that the disease is actually malaria and thus being able to search up malaria? Would you not need some sort of feature describing/picture recognition system? I ask just out of interest, unfortunately I have no experience in iPhone apps.

Perhaps augmented reality could be used if the microscope slides could somehow be shown on a screen or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending