The Student Room Group

is a kindle worth it?

have the kindle unlimited app and i pay for the subscription, but not sure if buying one would be worth it because of this.

like it just feels like it'd be a waste of £60 but does anyone use a kindle and what do they think the pros are in comparison to j using the app on my phone like i have been
Reply 1
Original post by aizzicle
have the kindle unlimited app and i pay for the subscription, but not sure if buying one would be worth it because of this.
like it just feels like it'd be a waste of £60 but does anyone use a kindle and what do they think the pros are in comparison to j using the app on my phone like i have been
i don't think its worth it because you can find loads of pdfs of books online on different websites for free(such as https://www.epub.pub/ and https://archive.org/ there are loads more ) plus you have to pay for the books as well as kindle itself and if your already paying for the subscripton then theres no point getting a kindle if you already have a laptop or ipad or something because you can just download it on there for free
Reply 2
the e ink display is really nice especially for reading at night, way nicer than a phone screen. surprisingly the kindle is also pretty much the cheapest option there is for that kind of screen
unlimited is a waste of money though- it's easy to get pdfs online and you can use send-to-kindle email to get them on your device
Original post by Pedr0
the e ink display is really nice especially for reading at night, way nicer than a phone screen. surprisingly the kindle is also pretty much the cheapest option there is for that kind of screen
unlimited is a waste of money though- it's easy to get pdfs online and you can use send-to-kindle email to get them on your device

I agree. I much prefer reading books on my Kindle compared to my phone. I do use the Kindle app on my phone from time to time, but it's always when I don't have my Kindle with me. Day to day I'm usually reading one physical book, one graphic novel and one Kindle book. I buy Kindle books for 99p in the sales, and having built up a bit of a backlog I now make sure I read one or two books for every one I buy. But I do think a Kindle is well worth it, and is a much better reading experience than a phone, iPad or computer/laptop screen.
Original post by aizzicle

I love my Kindle! The lighting in my bedroom is kinda bad for reading, especially in the evening so the e-ink display definitely helps with that. You can also change the font, and highlight things in the ebooks which will save it to notes (I'm not sure if these are available on the app though). I don't think you can download books straight on the kindle app anymore so the kindle would be more convenient for downloading books straight to the kindle.
They also have a pretty decent battery life - my paperwhite 10th edition is still going strong (I think mine lasted an *almost* full university term :shock: ).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending