The Student Room Group

Music grades: what's your average (pass, merit, distinction)

Scroll to see replies

Not necessarily. Sometimes there is a vast jump in standard between grades (e.g. 5theory I got distinction at 100% then 6 theory I only got 81 merit. Grade 5 singing i got only 130 distinction but 6 i got 143 high distinction.
Original post by Skating-tenor
Not necessarily. Sometimes there is a vast jump in standard between grades (e.g. 5theory I got distinction at 100% then 6 theory I only got 81 merit. Grade 5 singing i got only 130 distinction but 6 i got 143 high distinction.

Hey, I’m planning on doing g6 theory too, how long did it take you to go from 5 to 6 out of interest?
Reply 182
Original post by Bella.tigerlily
Hey, I’m planning on doing g6 theory too, how long did it take you to go from 5 to 6 out of interest?

I started doing the first part and it’s really complicated. But I’m only in year 8 so you guys will probably understand it better.
Original post by Bella.tigerlily

3 months.... but I WORKED BLOODY HARD.

6 is a HUMONGOUS JUMP from 5. If you didn't get a high distinction at 5, you should do it again first.

Of course, others may feel differently. Anyone else have a similar or different feeling.

Alan
Original post by LN05
I started doing the first part and it’s really complicated. But I’m only in year 8 so you guys will probably understand it better.

Yeah I’ve had a look and it’s definitely a challenge!

6 is a HUMONGOUS JUMP from 5. If you didn't get a high distinction at 5, you should do it again first.

Of course, others may feel differently. Anyone else have a similar or different feeling.

Alan

I did 5 on the 5th November and got 94, ive had a look at 6 and it’s definitely tons harder, I’m alrightish with the figured bass but will take a lot of work to understand the rest! Kinda want to get it out the way in feb as I have GCSEs in the summer but don’t know if ill be able to learn it in that time tbh. Thanks for the info!
Reply 186

Alan

Totally agree;(
Just do well in grade 8 guys, no one will ask about your previous grades. It's not like they all "add up", your highest grade immediately makes all the ones below it redundant.
With that said:
Grades 1,3,5 : distinction
Grade 7: merit
Grade 8: distinction

Oh and grade 5 theory distinction (had to do it to take grade 8 on my instrument)

All ABRSM
Reply 188
Original post by Notsureimsure
Just do well in grade 8 guys, no one will ask about your previous grades. It's not like they all "add up", your highest grade immediately makes all the ones below it redundant.
With that said:
Grades 1,3,5 : distinction
Grade 7: merit
Grade 8: distinction

Oh and grade 5 theory distinction (had to do it to take grade 8 on my instrument)

All ABRSM

Hi! Did you do piano?
Original post by LN05
Hi! Did you do piano?

Double bass
ViolinGrade 4 - PassGrade 6 - MeritSingingGrade 6 - DistinctionGrade 7 - DistinctionGrade 8 - Distinction
Not very musical as have moved and therefore had a good 3 years of no instrument as no teachers available to teach my original instrument :cry2: but then started piano 2 years ago...
All ABRSM
Violin
Grade 1: pass (not sure of exact mark)
Piano
Grade 1: distinction (135 :h:)

Definitely have a better piano teacher
What are your best ever marks?
Violin
Grade 5, Merit
Grade 6, Distinction
Grade 7, Distinction
Grade 8, Distinction

Theory
Grade 5, Merit
Original post by upbeat4
Violin
Grade 5, Merit
Grade 6, Distinction
Grade 7, Distinction
Grade 8, Distinction

Theory
Grade 5, Merit

What’s you best ever mark? (Numerical)
Piano ABRSM

Grade 1: Distinction
Grade 2: Distinction
Grade 3: Distinction (143/150)
Grade 4: Distinction
Grade 5: Distinction
Grade 6: Merit
Grade 8: Merit
Grade 5 Theory: Merit (89/100)

Currently doing some stuff post grade 8, but since I go off to Uni this Summer I’m not planning to work towards a diploma anytime soon
It depends what you’re looking to get into musically :smile: of course not always needed though!
Original post by Billy Pilgrim
Not a fan of music exams. Music shouldn't be about scoring points.
This thread is fairly old, but never mind...

I play piano and violin but for the past few months I haven't had much time to practice.

Piano
Grade 2: Merit
Grade 3: Distinction
Grade 4: Distinction
Grade 6: Distinction

Violin
Grade 2: Distinction
Grade 3: Distinction
Grade 7: Distinction
Grade 8: Distinction
I think the Trinity vs ABRSM debate is actually really interesting! I did up to Grade 6 Flute with ABRSM (averaging at merit) and up to Grade 6 Piano with Trinity (averaging at distinction).

I have to say, I found the Trinity exams 'easier' (take that with a pinch of salt!!) than the ABRSM exams. Fewer scales, aural tests are easier (you don't need any theory grades for Trinity) and it was slightly more relaxed!

Some of my friends who have only ever done ABRSM would turn up their nose at Trinity (smh) but most non-musical people won't really care about the board - just the grade!
Original post by simplyquizical
I think the Trinity vs ABRSM debate is actually really interesting! I did up to Grade 6 Flute with ABRSM (averaging at merit) and up to Grade 6 Piano with Trinity (averaging at distinction).

I have to say, I found the Trinity exams 'easier' (take that with a pinch of salt!!) than the ABRSM exams. Fewer scales, aural tests are easier (you don't need any theory grades for Trinity) and it was slightly more relaxed!

Some of my friends who have only ever done ABRSM would turn up their nose at Trinity (smh) but most non-musical people won't really care about the board - just the grade!

I haven't done any Trinity exams but I did LCM exams for my grade 1 piano. All the rest was ABRSM so I can't really compare.
I can’t perform in exams! I get so stressed and mess up so many times, and don’t even get me started on a aural tests - no matter how much practise I just can’t do melodic repetition or sight singing so if anyone has anything to help please share!

Anyway, piano:
Grade 1 - Pass
2 - pass
3 - Merit
4 - pass
5 - Pass
6 - Distinction
7 - Pass (I cried the whole way through this exam and restarted everything twice so surprised I achieved a good pass)
Grade 5 Theory - Distinction

Flute : after the horror of piano exams, I only did internal Hampshire music exams for flute, until I sat my grade 4 ABRSM. Worst experience, achieved a pass. Continued with internal exams until grade 7.

I’m sitting my grade 8 soon and would love some help to get a merit. All tips appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest