The Student Room Group

I got a pass 1st year of college can I still achieve an MMM minimum?

I am in my 2nd year of a city and guilds level 3 extended diploma 1080 I only achieved a pass in my first year due to personal circumstances however this year I’m working at a constant distinctions. I received offers from uni at MMM is it possible for me to receive this grade?
Original post by Maddie.wxxxxxxx
I am in my 2nd year of a city and guilds level 3 extended diploma 1080 I only achieved a pass in my first year due to personal circumstances however this year I’m working at a constant distinctions. I received offers from uni at MMM is it possible for me to receive this grade?

(Questions in bold below).

I'm not terribly familiar with City and Guilds qualifications, but as you haven't received received any replies I thought I take a stab at your question.

I've looked at the specification for a random C&G qualification - Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Health and Care (1080) (601/7200/9) - to see how this works. (All similar C&G qualifications likely work in the same way.)

From what I've been able to establish, your overall grade is established by converting your mark in each assessment into a number of points, weighting those points depending on the type of assessment, calculating the weighted average, and then converting that weighted average into an overall grade.

According to the specification for the qualification I looked at:
"To gain this qualification, candidates must successfully achieve the following assessments:
two synoptic assignments
two theory exams"

You say that "I only achieved a pass in my first year". Did you take one theory exam and one synoptic assignment last year? Were they each graded as Pass?

According to the specification, the number of points you get for a Pass isn't fixed as it depends on whether you just scraped a pass, or whether you were almost at a Merit. Do you happen to know the points you were awarded for each assessment?

If we ignore the weightings, and the actual points you received (which could have been almost enough for a Merit in each assessment), then a crude way to look at it is that if you achieved a Distinction in each of the assessments this year, then when combined with the Passes you got last year, you should have the number of points for a MMM. (You can actually get away with being just short of a Distinction in this years assessments, but they'd have to be very high Merits.)

BTW, what is the full name of your qualification? As I say, I used "Level 3 Advanced Technical Extended Diploma in Health and Care (1080) (3625-31)" to glean the above information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending