The Student Room Group

btec applied science grading help

How are grades calculated im doing 13 units so how many modules is this , also how much distinctions would i need for DDD as i think i messed up one of my units and will most likely get a Merit in it . (unit 2)

i am doing a extended diploma in biomedical science(applied science)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by btt44
How are grades calculated im doing 13 units so how many modules is this , also how much distinctions would i need for DDD as i think i messed up one of my units and will most likely get a Merit in it . (unit 2)

i am doing a extended diploma in biomedical science(applied science)

The first link below shows the specification and you can use that to work out which units you are doing (you may need to ask your teacher which optional ones are being done; https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/study/Undergraduate/documents/BTECNat_AppSci(Biomed)_ExtDips_Spec.pdf

The second link is the BTEC grade calculator. Download the National one and fill in all of the units with the grades you already have for completed units. Then play around with the rest to calculate an overall grade; https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/using-the-next-generation-btec-nqf-grade-calculator.html
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
The first link below shows the specification and you can use that to work out which units you are doing (you may need to ask your teacher which optional ones are being done; https://www.rvc.ac.uk/Media/Default/study/Undergraduate/documents/BTECNat_AppSci(Biomed)_ExtDips_Spec.pdf

The second link is the BTEC grade calculator. Download the National one and fill in all of the units with the grades you already have for completed units. Then play around with the rest to calculate an overall grade; https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/results-certification/understanding-marks-and-grades/using-the-next-generation-btec-nqf-grade-calculator.html

i tried using the caulculator but idek how to use it , i filled in optional units and the course name in extended diploma and put some grades in there and just came with a grade u
Original post by btt44
i tried using the caulculator but idek how to use it , i filled in optional units and the course name in extended diploma and put some grades in there and just came with a grade u

Put on here which units you are doing (all 13). List what grades you already have and for which units, and I will calculate it for you.
Reply 4
Put on here which units you are doing (all 13). List what grades you already have and for which units, and I will calculate it for you.

UNIT 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ,5 ,6 ,7 ,8 ,9 , 12 , 14 , 21 , 22

I have completed only 1 unit and havent got the grade back yet

i just want to know how much distinctions and merits i need for a DDD in the units
Original post by btt44
UNIT 1 ,2 ,3 ,4 ,5 ,6 ,7 ,8 ,9 , 12 , 14 , 21 , 22

I have completed only 1 unit and havent got the grade back yet

i just want to know how much distinctions and merits i need for a DDD in the units

Ive just calculated and if you get 8 Distinctions for coursework and 2 exam Passes for units1 and 3 plus 2 Merits in exam units 5 and 7, you can get DDD.
If you get a pass in all 4 exams and distinctions in all coursework this drops to DDM.
Reply 6

Hi there could you also help me as well in doing 13 units same course as him and say if that i get 10 distictions 2 merits and 1 pass what grade would that be pla can u calculate for me thx
Original post by Mj_ptrn
Hi there could you also help me as well in doing 13 units same course as him and say if that i get 10 distictions 2 merits and 1 pass what grade would that be pla can u calculate for me thx

Depends on what you get for the four exams, but you could be DDM to DDD.
Reply 8
How would I be able to get a D*D*D* like how many distcitions and merits do I need for each assighment or exam could you calculate this for me pls very apreaciated
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Mj_ptrn
How would I be able to get a D*D*D* like how many distcitions and merits do I need for each assighment or exam could you calculate this for me pls very apreaciated

Use the calculator i posted in #2 above and play around with grades
Use the calculator i posted in #2 above and play around with grades

I do not know how to use it do you mind doing it for me thx
Original post by Mj_ptrn
I do not know how to use it do you mind doing it for me thx

I have just calculated 3 options (assuming you are doing the exact same units as the OP). To get an overall D*D*D*, you will need to get a Distinction for every unit and for three of the four exams (You can get a Merit for one of the exams).
If you get a Distinction for every coursework unit and Merits for the four exams, you can get D*DD.
If you get a Distinction for every coursework unit and passes for the four exams, DDM.

The exams are critical for the new BTECs and it is very rare for learners to get a Distinction for all four, so please bear this in mind. I don't have access to the results for Applied Science so can't give you a breakdown of how many learners did achieve a Distinction for previous years, but your teacher should be able to access this information for your own centre, so have a chat with them.
I have just calculated 3 options (assuming you are doing the exact same units as the OP). To get an overall D*D*D*, you will need to get a Distinction for every unit and for three of the four exams (You can get a Merit for one of the exams).
If you get a Distinction for every coursework unit and Merits for the four exams, you can get D*DD.
If you get a Distinction for every coursework unit and passes for the four exams, DDM.

The exams are critical for the new BTECs and it is very rare for learners to get a Distinction for all four, so please bear this in mind. I don't have access to the results for Applied Science so can't give you a breakdown of how many learners did achieve a Distinction for previous years, but your teacher should be able to access this information for your own centre, so have a chat with them.

Thx for calculating it could I just ask for 1 more favour pls say if that i got distictions in all the course work and 3 distictions in the exam and one pass what grade qrade would I get.
Original post by Mj_ptrn
Thx for calculating it could I just ask for 1 more favour pls say if that i got distictions in all the course work and 3 distictions in the exam and one pass what grade qrade would I get.

Unit 1 is only 90 GLH, whereas the other 3 exams are all 120. So, if you get a Distinction for every unit, with a Pass for U1, you can get D*D*D*.
However if you get a Distinction for every unit, but a Pass for either Unit 3, 5 or 7. this drops to D*D*D.
Unit 1 is only 90 GLH, whereas the other 3 exams are all 120. So, if you get a Distinction for every unit, with a Pass for U1, you can get D*D*D*.
However if you get a Distinction for every unit, but a Pass for either Unit 3, 5 or 7. this drops to D*D*D.

thx
One more favour say if that i get distinctions in all coursework and a pass in U1 a merit in U3 a merit in U5 and a merit in U7 what grade would that be
Original post by Mj_ptrn
One more favour say if that i get distinctions in all coursework and a pass in U1 a merit in U3 a merit in U5 and a merit in U7 what grade would that be

that would be D*DD
What bout distictions in all assighments a pass in U1 a merit in U3 a distiction in U5 and a merit in U7

Also the exact same thing but for and distiction in u7
Original post by Mj_ptrn
What bout distictions in all assighments a pass in U1 a merit in U3 a distiction in U5 and a merit in U7

Also the exact same thing but for and distiction in u7

Last one, as I am busy and you can work it out yourself from the specification...... First option is still D*DD and for option 2 with the U7 Distinction, it becomes D*D*D.
Hi there I know u said last one but can you do DMM I will not bother again thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending