The Student Room Group

Ecole Centrale Paris

Anyone going there? http://www.ecp.fr/op/preview/lang/en/homepage

I think its taught in English, but cant really tell, haha. I've emailed to ask whether they accept A levels or not.

What do you think about this place? Heard of it? Is it a good university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's not taught in English, and it's not a university but a Grande Ecole. It's basically the 2d best engineering school in France after Polytechnique, on par with Les Mines de Paris, and it's arguably one of the 3 best formations you can get in France (ENS-X-Centrale), even if you want to work in the business world/finance, since every firm recruit in the engineering schools as a priority (before the business school such as HEC,ESSEC,ESCP).
They don't accept A Levels, you have to go to une classe préparatoire and then pass the concours. That means: Getting very good A Levels to enter an excellant prépa (en francais, bien sur), after two years of hard work you take the concours and: Good Luck!
There are some other ways than prépa, but more for extraordinary students studying not in prépa but at University.
After entering the Ecole you can take a lot of courses in English.:biggrin:
Reply 3
Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up for me guys. Looks like I wont be going there!
Reply 4
Great Ecole.
Reply 5
Are there any significant differences between each schools having a 'préparatoire' program? Do all of them accept A-Levels? If so, what kind of grades should I be obtaining? I am doing Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics. Would AAA/A*AB suffice? After the prépa, can one apply to the non-engineering 'grandes écoles' as well? (say, ones offering Economics?) Have any of you been there or studied in France?

Original post by frfd000000
It's not taught in English, and it's not a university but a Grande Ecole. It's basically the 2d best engineering school in France after Polytechnique, on par with Les Mines de Paris, and it's arguably one of the 3 best formations you can get in France (ENS-X-Centrale), even if you want to work in the business world/finance, since every firm recruit in the engineering schools as a priority (before the business school such as HEC,ESSEC,ESCP).

Original post by Nathanielle
They don't accept A Levels, you have to go to une classe préparatoire and then pass the concours. That means: Getting very good A Levels to enter an excellant prépa (en francais, bien sur), after two years of hard work you take the concours and: Good Luck!
There are some other ways than prépa, but more for extraordinary students studying not in prépa but at University.
After entering the Ecole you can take a lot of courses in English.:biggrin:

Original post by DiCaprio
Great Ecole.
Reply 6
I studied in France, in HEC Paris.
Imo, you might need a lot more than a simple AAA, I don't think you get how hard it is to be accepted in the 3 best Engineering School and how impressive those who're studying there are. You need a flawless school record and an interesting profile, I think.
Reply 7
I studied in France, in HEC Paris.
Imo, you might need a lot more than a simple AAA, I don't think you get how hard it is to be accepted in the 3 best Engineering School and how impressive those who're studying there are. You need a flawless school record and an interesting profile, I think.

No, I don't know much about them. I just heard they were good. Heard others talk about them, saw them on L'Etudiant.fr's ranking list and that's about it.

I was asking about getting into the prépa, not the actual Grande Ecoles. Where should I be looking into applying for that?

By interesting profile, what exactly do you mean? Are you referring to the hour long oral exam where one has to explain to an examiner how they've gone about to solve a problem?

Since you seem to indicate that this out of reach, what's the next best place to look at? Would, in your opinion, L'Etudiant's rankings be a good place to start?
Reply 8
You can't succeed taking the Prépa path without being french, I've never heard of an international student in prépa. Tell me what you want to do as a professional

Speaking French fluently is not sufficient to succeed in prépa, what people need to understand is that the French High School system is the most demanding in the world, it is way harder than the US/UK one. And the classes préparatoires-system is for instance, as far as I am concerned, more demanding than a hardcore science program at the MIT. All you do during the two years of intensive courses is work, work, work. So it is impossible for a student who didn't went through the French high school system to get into the best engineering/business schools in France.
Speaking French fluently is not sufficient to succeed in prépa, what people need to understand is that the French High School system is the most demanding in the world, it is way harder than the US/UK one. And the classes préparatoires-system is for instance, as far as I am concerned, more demanding than a hardcore science program at the MIT. All you do during the two years of intensive courses is work, work, work. So it is impossible for a student who didn't went through the French high school system to get into the best engineering/business schools in France.

No, it isn't. There are foreigners at the prépas and at the Grande Ecoles. Of course it is beneficial to have a good educational background(which you can get in various countries), but being highly intelligent, hard working and able to profit from the prepa system is much more important. And not every French high school teaches their students in a way, that they are well prepared for prepa.
the French High School system is the most demanding in the world, it is way harder than the US/UK one.

Can you explain why? I went through the French High school system (and did the French Bacc in 2007) and lived in the US for 7 years, and I completely agree that the French system is way harder than US high school, but I always thought that A-levels were very similar to the French Bacc... I don't know too much about the UK high school system but when talking to British friends about it, it seemed that they had studied pretty much the same material as me; and the exams are also intense aren't they?

And yeah, Prepa is really intense. I have a few friends who went through it (two of which are now at ENS) and all they did for 2 years was work, eat, and sleep. They went out max 5-6 times during the entire program. AND THAT is the reason I would never do Prepa! :biggrin:
Reply 13

Indeed.
Because the French high school system requires things like dissertation abilities, you have to be conversational in at least two foreign languages, and the most important thing of all, the maths level of a 14 French student is equivalent to the one of an 18 US citizen. And that is very true.

And Nathanielle, I'd be curious if you could name a single prépa with at least one student who didn't go through the French high school system (and obviously the Lycées Francais of NY,London,Casablanca, etc)...
Reply 15
You can't succeed taking the Prépa path without being french, I've never heard of an international student in prépa. Tell me what you want to do as a professional

I want to do maths; I get kicks out of trying to solve problems. I want to be able to see some applied use of the maths I learn. I like knowing how things work. Ideally, getting paid to apply what I've learned after uni would be good. If not, then, at least, I managed to come out of uni knowing things I wanted to. I'll see what I want to do as a professional when the time comes, I don't deem myself to be in a position to make that kind of decision.

Finances permitting, I would've applied to MIT (not saying I would have gotten in, no) and I am going to work. I don't see how this should discourage me from applying. What I am more concerned right now, is actually getting into the prépa. Once I'm there, I'll find a way to pass the two years and get into an ENS.

If not the prépa, what else can I do? I'm not very familiar with the French system and from what I gather, I can get a degree in a related science field and then proceed directly to ENS? Is that in any way correct? :s-smilie:

Original post by chad_bro_chill
Can you explain why? I went through the French High school system (and did the French Bacc in 2007) and lived in the US for 7 years, and I completely agree that the French system is way harder than US high school, but I always thought that A-levels were very similar to the French Bacc... I don't know too much about the UK high school system but when talking to British friends about it, it seemed that they had studied pretty much the same material as me; and the exams are also intense aren't they?

And yeah, Prepa is really intense. I have a few friends who went through it (two of which are now at ENS) and all they did for 2 years was work, eat, and sleep. They went out max 5-6 times during the entire program. AND THAT is the reason I would never do Prepa! :biggrin:

Not much of a concern. I despise clubs and what not. I drink on my own. Next.

Similar to what they did in A-Levels? Were they/you doing maths and sciences?
Original post by Madrigal

Not much of a concern. I despise clubs and what not. I drink on my own. Next.

Similar to what they did in A-Levels? Were they/you doing maths and sciences?

Just so you know, I'm not trying to discourage you or anything like that, just giving you a heads up as to what to expect over there. If you have the motivation and the work ethic for it, I would definitely recommend it if you want to do applied mathematics.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in your 2nd line... I went to a French high school in the US with the 2 people I previously mentioned (who are now at the ENS), and we all did the "scientific section" of the French Bacc, so yeah a lot of maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

And Nathanielle, I'd be curious if you could name a single prépa with at least one student who didn't go through the French high school system (and obviously the Lycées Francais of NY,London,Casablanca, etc)...

It is fascinating how convinced you are of the French School System. You don't have to be a genius, going to e.g. a German High School would be sufficient, as it would be the case for other countries. (And yes, I know the programm of Maths at Bac S.) In addition the level/teaching at a normal French High School is often of lower quality than at a Foreign School (they represent France, thus have to be very good). Just go to poorer areas or in the country side, you have the same range of quality as in most countries.

Perhaps you could argue that the UK system isn't good and that it will be hard work, harder than having 11 subjects until the end of high school, but we neither know what school Madrigal goes to, what he does for his subjects in addition to the normal syllabus and how much work he has to put into Math A Level.

As I am to lazy to search for you all the statistics/forums/websites and you asked only for one foreigner:wink:: http://www.ambafrance-cn.org/50-lyceens-chinois-en-classe-preparatoire-scientifique.html
It is fascinating how convinced you are of the French School System. You don't have to be a genius, going to e.g. a German High School would be sufficient, as it would be the case for other countries. (And yes, I know the programm of Maths at Bac S.) In addition the level/teaching at a normal French High School is often of lower quality than at a Foreign School (they represent France, thus have to be very good). Just go to poorer areas or in the country side, you have the same range of quality as in most countries.

Perhaps you could argue that the UK system isn't good and that it will be hard work, harder than having 11 subjects until the end of high school, but we neither know what school Madrigal goes to, what he does for his subjects in addition to the normal syllabus and how much work he has to put into Math A Level.

As I am to lazy to search for you all the statistics/forums/websites and you asked only for one foreigner:wink:: http://www.ambafrance-cn.org/50-lyceens-chinois-en-classe-preparatoire-scientifique.html

I do remember about that happening, but all of the chinese students, including the "major de l'X" went to a French high school in Shangai, and as far as I can read: all of that stuff was "mis en place par l’Amabassade de France en Chine et coordonné par le Consulat Général de France" (quote)
Reply 19
I do remember about that happening, but all of the chinese students, including the "major de l'X" went to a French high school in Shangai, and as far as I can read: all of that stuff was "mis en place par l’Amabassade de France en Chine et coordonné par le Consulat Général de France" (quote)

Fine.

Imperial College London, for their Aeronautical Engineering course, A*A*A grades are expected from applicants, with the A* grades being in Mathematics and Physics. For that same course, for applicants taking the French Baccalaureate, ""Mention Bien" with Mathematics and Physics both at grade 15" is required. Furthermore, in their third year, if the 'Year Abroad' course is selected, the students can study at the following institutions:

The Ecole Centrale de Lyon (Lyons, France) as well as the Ecole Nationale Su perieure d'Ingenieurs de Constructions A eronautiques and the Ecole Nationale Superieure de l'Aeronautique et de l' Aerospace (both in Toulouse, France)

Source.

Now, getting into prépa alone can't be as hard as you make it out to be, now can it? I do agree that I am basing the argument alone on what ICL think of as equivalent grades but with Imperial being Imperial, they should have a good idea of what they're on about. Honestly, achieving A*A*A is not unrealistic. It would require hard work yes, but it's definitely not impossible.

Are the grades they ask of French Bac students similar to what is required for entry into prépa?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending