The Student Room Group

AQA A-level English Literature & Language Paper 1 (7707/1) - 24 May 2023 [Exam Chat]

AQA A-level English Literature and Language Paper 1 (7707/1) - 24th May [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 24 May 2023/ PM
Length: 3h

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How's everyone feeling for tomorrow? I'm most nervous for Paris but overall I think it should be a good exam :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by daisyaw
How's everyone feeling for tomorrow? I'm most nervous for Paris but overall I think it should be a good exam :smile:

I’m defo nervous as I’ve had to self teach most of paper 1 my teacher didn’t really teach us most of Paris and I learned our novel (Lovely Bones) basically entirely independently, but I think I’ve done alright considering!
Reply 3
Btw, does anyone know what the questions
on Carol Ann Duffy were last year?
Reply 4
Does anyone know what the othello question was in 2022
Reply 5
Original post by rwnsl
Btw, does anyone know what the questions
on Carol Ann Duffy were last year?

Off the top of my head I believe it was childhood (Litany) and journeys (Never Go Back)
Reply 6
Original post by rwnsl
I’m defo nervous as I’ve had to self teach most of paper 1 my teacher didn’t really teach us most of Paris and I learned our novel (Lovely Bones) basically entirely independently, but I think I’ve done alright considering!

Im doing The Handmaids Tale for the novel! Definitely most stressed about Paris tho as it’s so different to everything else in the course
Reply 7
Original post by daisyaw
Im doing The Handmaids Tale for the novel! Definitely most stressed about Paris tho as it’s so different to everything else in the course

I love Handmaids! I wish we'd studied it, it's one of my faves! Paris is definitely very different as the essay is such a different approach to everything else we learn about and it's so unpredictable considering how many diff texts there are! Honestly I'm not doing much Paris-specific revision, more just going over the key terms + concepts I might need for it
Reply 8
Original post by rwnsl
I love Handmaids! I wish we'd studied it, it's one of my faves! Paris is definitely very different as the essay is such a different approach to everything else we learn about and it's so unpredictable considering how many diff texts there are! Honestly I'm not doing much Paris-specific revision, more just going over the key terms + concepts I might need for it

Yes me too for Paris I’m just going over key terminology and hoping for the best! If everything else fails I’ll just treat it as an unseen text as there’s no A03 in the Paris question
Anyone know how we are given the Paris anthology and poems in the exams? Are they in a seperate booklet?
Reply 10
Original post by Silverwolf16
Anyone know how we are given the Paris anthology and poems in the exams? Are they in a seperate booklet?

If I remember right from what my teacher has said previously, for Paris we quite commonly only get a sample of an extract so will get a separately printed sheet/booklet for that. Poetry we have access to all of the poems just clean copies of them so for that we might just get a clean anthology!
Hi guys, I'm a tutor. What was the question comparing Gatsby to the poems?
What was the extract and question for Othello?
How hard was the unseen in your opinion?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply 12
the question for othello was a statement comparing his bond with iago to his relationship with desdemona, and a statement asking how shakespeare presents his relationship with iago. the gatsby questions were either compatibility with lovers, and the second question was conflict with lovers

and i found the unseen poems so hard, they were based on the idea of separation
Reply 13
I know that someone from 2024 will be looking for what came up on this paper to aid their revision, so here is what came up. Note: I did The Lovely Bones and Carol Ann Duffy poetry.

Section A: Paris.
Compare how Text A (Foreign Correspondent - Peter Lennon) and Text B (Visiting Paris - Mike and Sophia) present their first experiences of Paris.
A's extract went from line 143 - line 183, and B's extract went from "Sophia: yeah (.) Oh no (.) do you (.) what kind of tourists did you see there" to "Mike: yeah (.) that's what I felt anyway when I was in Paris".

Section B: The Lovely Bones.
The significance of Ruana Singh
(Extract went from chapter 6's "When my father knocked on the door of Ray Singh's house, he was struck dumb by Ray's mother, Ruana." to ""Dr. Singh is a professor?" my father asked, though he knew this already, knew more than he was comfortable with about this beautiful woman and her sparsley furnished home.")
or
Journeys
(Extract went from Snapshots's "In the fall of 1976, when she reached California, she drove direcrly to the beach and stopped her car." to (I'm fairly certain) "As my mother laughed and I watched her face light up, I also saw it fall into strange lines.")

Section C: Carol Ann Duffy.
Views on love in Valentine
or
Confusion in The Cliché Kid

Hope this helps someone. They were pretty grim steers in my (and my classmate's opinion), but I did the best I could. Hoping that future exams are a lot less harsh!
Reply 14
Original post by CrissyNix
I know that someone from 2024 will be looking for what came up on this paper to aid their revision, so here is what came up. Note: I did The Lovely Bones and Carol Ann Duffy poetry.

Compare how Text A (Foreign Correspondent - Peter Lennon) and Text B (Visiting Paris - Mike and Sophia) present their first experiences of Paris.
A's extract went from line 143 - line 183, and B's extract went from "Sophia: yeah (.) Oh no (.) do you (.) what kind of tourists did you see there" to "Mike: yeah (.) that's what I felt anyway when I was in Paris".

(Extract went from chapter 6's "When my father knocked on the door of Ray Singh's house, he was struck dumb by Ray's mother, Ruana." to ""Dr. Singh is a professor?" my father asked, though he knew this already, knew more than he was comfortable with about this beautiful woman and her sparsley furnished home.")
or
Journeys
(Extract went from Snapshots's "In the fall of 1976, when she reached California, she drove direcrly to the beach and stopped her car." to (I'm fairly certain) "As my mother laughed and I watched her face light up, I also saw it fall into strange lines.")

or

Hope this helps someone. They were pretty grim steers in my (and my classmate's opinion), but I did the best I could. Hoping that future exams are a lot less harsh

The Handmaids questions were:
Explore the significance of women’s physical appearance (from “It’s been a long time since I’ve seen skirts that short on women” to “She called us girls”, when Offred is talking about the Japanese tourists in the shopping section)
or
Explore the significance of the past (and I’m sorry I know it’s not much help but I don’t know the extract as I did the other question however I believe it talks about Moira)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 15

or
Journeys

or

Hope this helps someone. They were pretty grim steers in my (and my classmate's opinion), but I did the best I could. Hoping that future exams are a lot less harsh!

definitely a really difficult exam, i did the same book & poems so not much to contribute in the way of questions but everyone i know really struggled, including myself :/ hopefully paper 2 comes a bit easier to all of us!
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by _.lucy567
the question for othello was a statement comparing his bond with iago to his relationship with desdemona, and a statement asking how shakespeare presents his relationship with iago. the gatsby questions were either compatibility with lovers, and the second question was conflict with lovers

and i found the unseen poems so hard, they were based on the idea of separation

and the unseen were both postmodern?? like that tripped me up so bad
Reply 17
Original post by rwnsl
definitely a really difficult exam, i did the same book & poems so not much to contribute in the way of questions but everyone i know really struggled, including myself :/ hopefully paper 2 comes a bit easier to all of us!

God bless you! Which steers did you choose? I did Ruana Singh (feel like I jinxed it because I'd joked that she was so irrelevant she'd never come up), and Valentine + Close for the poetry. I felt like the question for Paris was a little weird and the extracts were not what I'd hoped for (even though I didn't hate the texts!). I've just had a big bonfire and burned all my paper 1 stuff - let's hope paper 2 is nicer! (If the Kite Runner question is on a completely irrelevant character too I will cry! :frown:)
Reply 18
God bless you! Which steers did you choose? I did Ruana Singh (feel like I jinxed it because I'd joked that she was so irrelevant she'd never come up), and Valentine + Close for the poetry. I felt like the question for Paris was a little weird and the extracts were not what I'd hoped for (even though I didn't hate the texts!). I've just had a big bonfire and burned all my paper 1 stuff - let's hope paper 2 is nicer! (If the Kite Runner question is on a completely irrelevant character too I will cry! :frown:)

I wish the Paris question was on tourism or multiculturalism as I think it was a stupid question describing their first experiences in Paris. I did Valentine + Mean Time for the poem :smile:
Reply 19

I did Ruana as well since I'm much more confident with the characters than discussing particular themes in the novel as that's what our teacher mostly did with us! Though the question on journeys seemed quite interesting in retrospect. Then I did Valentine + Mean Time for the poetry - Valentine is defo one of my worse poems so I nearly close the Cliche Kid question but I found it quite difficult to find another poem for so ended up switching haha

I'm so looking forward to burning all my content from my exams this week, I'm waiting til the end of the week to do it so all my paper 1s are out the way!! Praying that the Gatsby and Streetcar questions are slightly easier defo. I think I feel better about the paper than I did when I first came out, no point dwelling on it too much now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending