The Student Room Group

Ecole Centrale Paris

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nathanielle
we neither know what school Madrigal goes to, what he does for his subjects in addition to the normal syllabus and how much work he has to put into Math A Level.

I'm no genius but I do A-Level Maths comfortably enough.
Reply 21
Original post by chad_bro_chill
Just so you know, I'm not trying to discourage you or anything like that, just giving you a heads up as to what to expect over there. If you have the motivation and the work ethic for it, I would definitely recommend it if you want to do applied mathematics.

I'm not sure what you are referring to in your 2nd line... I went to a French high school in the US with the 2 people I previously mentioned (who are now at the ENS), and we all did the "scientific section" of the French Bacc, so yeah a lot of maths, physics, chemistry and biology.

Okay, thanks for the tip. :wink:

If you went to/are at university (now), what did/are you studying? And where?

In the 2nd line, I was asking about your friends who did a-level. How much did your work overlap with theirs?
Original post by frfd000000
I do remember about that happening, but all of the chinese students, including the "major de l'X" went to a French high school in Shangai, and as far as I can read: all of that stuff was "mis en place par l’Amabassade de France en Chine et coordonné par le Consulat Général de France" (quote)

From what I know, these students had extensive franch lesons in their last year and then proceed to normal prépas. They didn't go through the French Highschool system, but were chosen from high achieving chinese high schools. (There was an article about, some years ago.)

It is pretty nervwracking to search the Internet for forums and websites to find the foreigners. (In the Forum of LLG there was one Italien, not counting the ones from former french colonies, as I remember.)
It is no problem to apply as a foreigner, except that few lycèes as Stanislas only accept students, who took the French baccalaureat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 23
From what I know, these students had extensive franch lesons in their last year and then proceed to normal prépas. They didn't go through the French Highschool system, but were chosen from high achieving chinese high schools. (There was an article about, some years ago.)

It is pretty nervwracking to search the Internet for forums and websites to find the foreigners. (In the Forum of LLG there was one Italien, not counting the ones from former french colonies, as I remember.)
It is no problem to apply as a foreigner, except that few lycèes as Stanislas only accept students, who took the French baccalaureat.

Didn't quite get the last sentence?

Do you know anything about applying with predicted grades? Also, once one is done with the prépa, if they do not get a place in a Grande Ecole, where else can they go for further studies? Can one attempt to transfer into the 3rd year of a UK engineering program? Or something similar?
Original post by Madrigal
Okay, thanks for the tip. :wink:

If you went to/are at university (now), what did/are you studying? And where?

In the 2nd line, I was asking about your friends who did a-level. How much did your work overlap with theirs?

I'm just finishing my BEng in chemical engineering at McGill (Montreal) and I'll be starting my MSc (in advanced chemical engineering) at Imperial in October.

From the few conversations I had with the people who did A-level, the science stuff they had seen was very similar to what I had done in the French Bacc. But, as frfd000000 pointed out earlier, with the French Bacc you continue doing humanities courses (2 foreign languages, history/geography for example) all the way up to your last year whereas in A-level you concentrate only on a few subjects (if I understood correctly; I'm not too familiar with the UK system).

But if you go in engineering prepa, I think the only non-science course you would have is a foreign-language class, which is English 95% of the time; so you'd probably finish top of the class! Again, I'm not 100% sure but that's what I remember my friends saying.
Reply 25
I'm just finishing my BEng in chemical engineering at McGill (Montreal) and I'll be starting my MSc (in advanced chemical engineering) at Imperial in October.

From the few conversations I had with the people who did A-level, the science stuff they had seen was very similar to what I had done in the French Bacc. But, as frfd000000 pointed out earlier, with the French Bacc you continue doing humanities courses (2 foreign languages, history/geography for example) all the way up to your last year whereas in A-level you concentrate only on a few subjects (if I understood correctly; I'm not too familiar with the UK system).

But if you go in engineering prepa, I think the only non-science course you would have is a foreign-language class, which is English 95% of the time; so you'd probably finish top of the class! Again, I'm not 100% sure but that's what I remember my friends saying.

McGill? Impressive. Were you expected to achieve really high grades to go there, or is it like with the IB, where they only ask for 28/45 (some members on TSR have had such offers!) points. (as opposed to the likes of Imperial, asking for at least 38/45!)

Good to know the science content is seemingly similar.

I was under the impression that they studied more, but hey, not that I should be complaining about that. Beyond literature, none of the subjects I've done have anything to do with humanities.

Thanks.
Didn't quite get the last sentence?

Do you know anything about applying with predicted grades? Also, once one is done with the prépa, if they do not get a place in a Grande Ecole, where else can they go for further studies? Can one attempt to transfer into the 3rd year of a UK engineering program? Or something similar?

I justed wanted to say, that it is noc problem to apply through the same sheme as a french student, as a student outside the french school system. Only that there are some lycées refusing to take students without a french highschool record.

The French students apply as well before there final examinations are finished, so follow the instruction. As far as I remember the first step of the application procedure is around January, but the final confirmation are probably after the examination. To be safe, just study the link I gave you above.

Sometimes (or even allways?) you get an equivalency and can transfer into Universities in the second year or third year. The year probably depends on the University (but e.g. EPFL has some words on it on its website http://bachelor.epfl.ch/cms/site/bachelor/lang/fr/admission-cpge), and you have perhaps to redo some courses. Nevertheless the prepa drop outs are known to do very well at University, because you learn how to learn.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 27
I justed wanted to say, that it is noc problem to apply through the same sheme as a french student, as a student outside the french school system. Only that there are some lycées refusing to take students without a french highschool record.

The French students apply as well before there final examinations are finished, so follow the instruction. As far as I remember the first step of the application procedure is around January, but the final confirmation are probably after the examination. To be safe, just study the link I gave you above.

Sometimes (or even allways?) you get an equivalency and can transfer into Universities in the second year or third year. The year probably depends on the University (but e.g. EPFL has some words on it on its website http://bachelor.epfl.ch/cms/site/bachelor/lang/fr/admission-cpge), and you have perhaps to redo some courses. Nevertheless the prepa drop outs are known to do very well at University, because you learn how to learn.

I see. I will look for the ones accommodating students with foreign qualifications.

Yeah, I read through that page and found a UCAS-like website. I just wasn't very confident about the applying before getting actual grades part. That is reassuring to hear.

Learning how to learn? Ah yes. It's a skill I definitely need to learn. It's taking it's time, but I think it's getting there. I used to depend entirely on my teachers. Any "new" problem and I'd be pissing my pants. After a while I just blamed laziness for it, but yeah, I grew up since. (:

And it's always good to know that I have a plan to fall back on, if ever I fail to get into any école. :wink:

Thanks a lot for all the advice and opinions, everyone. I needed to know this. Now that I've got a goal, I can take it up from where I left; back to working my behind off. : D
Good luck about going through the Admission post Bac process without sitting the baccalaureat exam...
Reply 29
Good luck about going through the Admission post Bac process without sitting the baccalaureat exam...

First time I see a foreign student interested in going to a Prepa while Ive met so many french students who wanted to study abroad so as to avoid the prepa system...Id say that "Good Luck" is defo not enough...
Reply 30

Now, getting into prépa alone can't be as hard as you make it out to be, now can it? I do agree that I am basing the argument alone on what ICL think of as equivalent grades but with Imperial being Imperial, they should have a good idea of what they're on about. Honestly, achieving A*A*A is not unrealistic. It would require hard work yes, but it's definitely not impossible.

Are the grades they ask of French Bac students similar to what is required for entry into prépa?

The whole point is not about getting into prépa. It is about getting into Centrale, isnt it?
In that case, make sure you go to a Top10 prepa, then be among the best students of your prepa.
You will certainly see that in the best prepas, 14 or 15/20 represents average students.
McGill? Impressive. Were you expected to achieve really high grades to go there, or is it like with the IB, where they only ask for 28/45 (some members on TSR have had such offers!) points. (as opposed to the likes of Imperial, asking for at least 38/45!)

Good to know the science content is seemingly similar.

I was under the impression that they studied more, but hey, not that I should be complaining about that. Beyond literature, none of the subjects I've done have anything to do with humanities.

Thanks.

McGill has weird admission standards... Sometimes they let in some idiots with low grades while in other cases they ask for ridiculously high conditions (like a 36-37 on IB, which is not THAT high, but lets face it, McGill is nowhere near Imperial when it comes to engineering).

In my case, I had high grades when I applied to McGill (and eventually finished with a tres bien on my bacc) so I had no problem getting accepted (I was so arrogant back then that McGill was the only uni I had applied to - but I knew there was no chance I would get rejected). Still, looking back on it now, it was a bit risky to only apply to 1 uni; but McGill had always been my goal since I was 12 lol. I had a great time here but I'm also really looking forward to my time in London next year.

Good luck for your application process to prepa, you'll see that the French like to make things ultra-complicated when it really doesn't have to be, but that's just in our nature :biggrin:. I'm sure once you get passed all the red tape, your actual experience in prepa will be to your liking.

All the best!
Good luck! You definitely don't choose an easy way. You can only regret things, you never tried.
Reply 33
I'm studying engineering at a university in Chile, and I'm thinking about applying to the joint degree program at Ecole Centrale.

Does anyone know how much emphasis there is on physics in the first two years (the core courses)?
My areas of interest are math and economics, so I don't want to spend an incredibly big amount of time and money in an exchange program whose focus is not what I like the most.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 34

Original post by DiCaprio

Right, guys. I e-mailed INSA Lyon. The guy who replied was prompt in his reply (and nice) and said that I could apply with my predicted grades along with my AS-levels. Maths/Chem/Physics are fine, although Further Maths wouldn't go amiss. Minimum grades for considering an application is AAA.

YAY.
Reply 35
Right, guys. I e-mailed INSA Lyon. The guy who replied was prompt in his reply (and nice) and said that I could apply with my predicted grades along with my AS-levels. Maths/Chem/Physics are fine, although Further Maths wouldn't go amiss. Minimum grades for considering an application is AAA.

YAY.

Not that I would die if I do not get any credit for it, but I think this process started with my INSA Lyon suggestion on April 29 (on another thread).^^

Good for you anyway! Hope it works out fine.
Reply 36
Original post by XYZ
Not that I would die if I do not get any credit for it, but I think this process started with my INSA Lyon suggestion on April 29 (on another thread).^^

Good for you anyway! Hope it works out fine.

Yep, I'm glad about what I found. While it does entail hard work, it is by no means impossible. (:

I'm afraid I have no clue what you're talking about, but thanks anyway. :tongue: Mind linking me to the thread in question? I tried going over your post history, but your last post in April was on the 13th.
Reply 37
pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending