The Student Room Group

Aberystywth or Indiana University

Hello Guy im at a split decision over this two choices

Aberystywth(Int Pol with Econs)
Shorter degree duration
Cheaper fees(Half of indiana per year)
Better International relation department(IMO)

Indiana bloomington(Int studies , intent to double major with econs)
Better international recognition
Better job prospect
Better network prospect
More opportunities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by boucy
Hello Guy im at a split decision over this two choices

Aberystywth(Int Pol with Econs)
Shorter degree duration
Cheaper fees(Half of indiana per year)
Better International relation department(IMO)

Indiana bloomington(Int studies , intent to double major with econs)
Better international recognition
Better job prospect
Better network prospect
More opportunities

You answered your own question right there. Indiana without a shadow of a doubt. Plus you won't die of boredom, unlike in Aberystwyth...
Reply 2
True but indiana is expected to be 60k a year(sgd)
While Aberystywth is expected to be only 38k a year

i wonder does the longer duration and the higher really worth it
all in all it at least 130k more
Reply 3
Original post by therealOG
You answered your own question right there. Indiana without a shadow of a doubt. Plus you won't die of boredom, unlike in Aberystwyth...

Interesting, have you even been to Aberystwyth? Yes it's isolated but it's very much run by students, has a brilliant nightlife and has incredible scenery.

Indiana isn't even a prestigious university by any means, neither is Aberystwyth. However Aberystwyth has an internationally acclaimed International Relations department. If you know you want to go into research, you're better off going to Aberystwyth.
Reply 4
Original post by boucy
True but indiana is expected to be 60k a year(sgd)
While Aberystywth is expected to be only 38k a year

i wonder does the longer duration and the higher really worth it
all in all it at least 130k more

Honestly, no. And where did you get that statistic from for Indiana? It's not a prestigious university, and I highly doubt it's as high as 60k starting salary. That's more like a Harvard starting salary in Investment Banking or Law.
Reply 5
Original post by Ilustrius
Honestly, no. And where did you get that statistic from for Indiana? It's not a prestigious university, and I highly doubt it's as high as 60k starting salary. That's more like a Harvard starting salary in Investment Banking or Law.

Lol I'm pretty sure he's talking about the annual costs in dollars of studying at Indiana and Aberystwyth.

You can earn £80k in your first year in IB.
Reply 6
Original post by therealOG
Lol I'm pretty sure he's talking about the annual costs in dollars of studying at Indiana and Aberystwyth.

You can earn £80k in your first year in IB.

Sure you can, in an FO role at a top IB, with a substantial bonus, in a good year. In other words, very rarely. A very small minority earn that in their first year of IB.
Reply 7
Yea , what i mean was the cost of education! One of the issue of importance is the employment prospect as from what i read about the employment prospect does not seem rosy for int student in the states. But better degree mileage.
Whilst looking at aberytstwyth its employment statistic is quite dismal even for locals and to be frank unless your gonna be a academic(require at least a master). Most people outside UK would not heard of it

Department wise Indiana does have a fine IR program with good concentration on east asia. i wouldnt say it inferior to aberstywth
(edited 13 years ago)
I agree and just to add to it, it has the top central asia department in the world which is kind of important in this era.
Reply 9
Original post by PKU_Research007
I agree and just to add to it, it has the top central asia department in the world which is kind of important in this era.

Just to reconfirm you mean indiana eh?
Reply 10
Original post by boucy
Yea , what i mean was the cost of education! One of the issue of importance is the employment prospect as from what i read about the employment prospect does not seem rosy for int student in the states. But better degree mileage.
Whilst looking at aberytstwyth its employment statistic is quite dismal even for locals and to be frank unless your gonna be a academic(require at least a master). Most people outside UK would not heard of it

Department wise Indiana does have a fine IR program with good concentration on east asia. i wouldnt say it inferior to aberstywth

You seem like you've decided where you want to go already, and you're obviously able to afford Indiana. Kind of renders this thread pointless. Neither are prestigious universities by any means.
Reply 11
Original post by Ilustrius
You seem like you've decided where you want to go already, and you're obviously able to afford Indiana. Kind of renders this thread pointless. Neither are prestigious universities by any means.

Actually i am far from being decided. Because even thou i can afford indiana i cant seem to justify the extra cost.

Initially the better job prospect tip the scale but after some reasearch int student does not have a rosy job prospect . While aber on a whole has poor job prospect

Thus the question
Indiana is far easier to pronounce. :cool:
Reply 13
Original post by boucy
Actually i am far from being decided. Because even thou i can afford indiana i cant seem to justify the extra cost.

Initially the better job prospect tip the scale but after some reasearch int student does not have a rosy job prospect . While aber on a whole has poor job prospect

Thus the question

If job prospects are your primary concern and they really are better at Indiana than Aberystwyth, the cost of declining Aberystwyth is negligible. At least, from a technical, long term perspective.

Personally I wish i'd gone to the U.S. for study. Like yourself, I'm an international student in the UK (granted, I managed to secure home fees under mitigating circumstances, so I was pretty much forced to study in the UK and no place else). It's an extra year of university, and the choice of classes, majors and minors far outweighs the flexibility of any British degree. Have you considered that?
(edited 13 years ago)
Yes I was mentioning Indiana.
Reply 15

Yea I was considering that! Thus the dilemma , personally I prefer the education system of the united states where daily work plays a large factor
As compared to the british system where major exams holds the key. Comming from singapore , where its based on the uk system I'm quite sick of that

but previously I was able to justify the longer duration and cost with the better employment prospect as I intend to pay for my own grad studies rather then depending on parents.( After research on us immigration and visa policy this no longer seem true)

Personally I am leaning toward aber for bach then work and fund future grad studies in perhaps the state

But I'm statistic for aber student going to better uni and stats for work is quite dismal and lacking

While indiana I'm quite sure the better degree mileage would be useful worldwide

@ilustrius
What do you mean by declining aber? U mean its ranking ot cost?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by boucy
Yea I was considering that! Thus the dilemma , personally I prefer the education system of the united states where daily work plays a large factor
As compared to the british system where major exams holds the key. Comming from singapore , where its based on the uk system I'm quite sick of that

but previously I was able to justify the longer duration and cost with the better employment prospect as I intend to pay for my own grad studies rather then depending on parents.( After research on us immigration and visa policy this no longer seem true)

Personally I am leaning toward aber for bach then work and fund future grad studies in perhaps the state

But I'm statistic for aber student going to better uni and stats for work is quite dismal and lacking

While indiana I'm quite sure the better degree mileage would be useful worldwide

@ilustrius
What do you mean by declining aber? U mean its ranking ot cost?

Why I refer to opportunity cost I'm referring to something monetary.
Reply 17
Better international recognition-No. Most people who live outside of the US don't even know half the ivy.
Better job prospect-No. Not really. Unless you got Kelley.
Better network prospect-Ehh...IU's network is pretty strong in regional parts of the US. Pretty strong in GA and midwestern states, but that's about it.
More opportunities-Like?

To be honest, you'd be better of saving the money by going to Aber. IU just isn't going to give you any special return.
(edited 13 years ago)
If money isn't really an issue, go to IU, are you nuts? Forget stats for job prospects, I don't understand how people make such calculated decisions based on this kind of stuff, we aren't comparing Harvard and London Met here... just work hard and have a good time at uni, where do you think you'd be HAPPY? - that IMO is a more important question. Can't speak for Aberystwyth, but having lived in Bloomington for a decade, I can tell you that it's a pretty fun place for most students with a pretty solid international network especially for SPEA, Kelley and Jacobs.

But just for the sake of not totally sidestepping your question, the added benefit of going to IU for job prospects is the 'easier' (and by this I mean relative to not having done a degree in the states) access to the US job market as a foreign national if you're interested in that.
Reply 19
Original post by drive like june
If money isn't really an issue, go to IU, are you nuts? Forget stats for job prospects, I don't understand how people make such calculated decisions based on this kind of stuff, we aren't comparing Harvard and London Met here... just work hard and have a good time at uni, where do you think you'd be HAPPY? - that IMO is a more important question. Can't speak for Aberystwyth, but having lived in Bloomington for a decade, I can tell you that it's a pretty fun place for most students with a pretty solid international network especially for SPEA, Kelley and Jacobs.

But just for the sake of not totally sidestepping your question, the added benefit of going to IU for job prospects is the 'easier' (and by this I mean relative to not having done a degree in the states) access to the US job market as a foreign national if you're interested in that.

Well , i intend to pay for my grad studies with my own money and if i want to pursue IR grad studies are important.

One of the concern with aber is that not much infomation could be found on their students furthering their studies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending