The Student Room Group

History is boring ?

Many think history is boring but i think its interesting what do you think ?
I completely agree with you. In fact, I'm planning on studying history at university.
Reply 2
History is fascinating and something that policy makers should be obliged to learn, it might help them stop making such moronic policies.. especially the ones that have been tried and failed before.
Aside from that its just interesting to know how we got where we are today and to be able to examine events in context, something todays youth seem utterly incapable of with all this incessant whining about how all historical figures are unredeemably evil, idiocy on their part of the rankest order :rolleyes:
I like history it gives a glimpse of what it was like for people in the past. There are also so many different areas and eras in history that are very interesting. It has a lot of different perspectives and I think it's cool that there are so many possibilities to what caused a particular event to start or end or bring about changes.
Very, very late, but I am with you and even think that history is important to learn from the past to prevent mistakes for the present and the future.
Original post by LegendXe

I like History, particularly the history of Greece and Rome and modern history 😀. What about you?

I think history is very interesting because with the help of history,we know about many things of our past and culture.
Original post by Malvern2003
I completely agree with you. In fact, I'm planning on studying history at university.

I think history is very interesting subject if we connect the subject with architecture, lifestyle of people belonging to different cultures.
Original post by Malvern2003

History is actually not a boring paper if you can relate your subject with various historical monuments present in India. Like for example if you visit Bishnupur (West Bengal) you will find that the Terracotta Structure present there are made of Red Sandstone....so these real facts and figures will implement you to understand the subject better .
I personally find it very interesting. There are many good stories throughout history and I find it interesting to find out about the story of humanity and how we got to the point we are at now.

If it's not someone else's cup of tea that's fair enough in the same way I never found maths or chemistry interesting 😅
Original post by SirNoodles
I personally find it very interesting. There are many good stories throughout history and I find it interesting to find out about the story of humanity and how we got to the point we are at now.

If it's not someone else's cup of tea that's fair enough in the same way I never found maths or chemistry interesting 😅

Despite from being boring or interesting. It is educational insofar that the current people are able to learn from the mistakes and the errors of the ancestors. Sometimes it is important to have a closer look at people's history.
Original post by Kallisto
Despite from being boring or interesting. It is educational insofar that the current people are able to learn from the mistakes and the errors of the ancestors. Sometimes it is important to have a closer look at people's history.

Yeah, I completely agree. Looking at the mistakes of the past is one way we can learn to do better in the future. It's certainly an important subject despite people's interest or lack of interest in it.
Original post by SirNoodles
Yeah, I completely agree. Looking at the mistakes of the past is one way we can learn to do better in the future. It's certainly an important subject despite people's interest or lack of interest in it.

Also important to know: the presence is a consequence of the past. If people want to change the future, they need to get the presence first. But that in turn needs an understanding for the past.
Personally I definitely find history interesting! :smile:
It's interesting we get to lealearn from past mistakes and get answers to problems we are currently facing
Reply 15
It's only boring if you don't know what you like. For me, I like learning about people. And there are some cool people in history. I don't go much into economic or political history because that isn't enjoyable to me. If you wanna enjoy history though, look into these two people who I'd say are, if not funny or chaotic, they're entertaining without a doubt- Vlad Tepes and Julie D'Aubigny. They're some of my personal favourite figures from all of history :smile:
I find some areas of history more interesting than others, of course, but there's a reason 'history' and 'story' share a root, it's meant to be about learning the story of what happened in the past and why the world is like what it is now, and surely most people have to be at least sort of interested in that?
For me, it depends on the topic. Personally, I find recent history (e.g. World Wars) fairly boring, yet I find Ancient Civilisations (e.g. Greek, Roman, Egyptian) absolutely fascinating!

I think has a lot to do with how it is presented. Britain is fortunate in the sense that you have long traditions of eccentric aging professors who travel the world in various history documentaries, and sort of take their lectures both into the public light and also into the field.There are also shows like The Time Team, which presents achaeology the way it is in reality (and not like in an indiana jones movie) and living history shows in which people try to live the way others once lived.

But you have the advantage of the language. If you go to the French Arte documentaries, you will find much gold, and some of the PBS documentaries in the US are absolutely first rate. Also, the Chinese make wonderful documentaries about their emperors. Their views on Mao or Tibet or anything after Sun Yat-Sen, I will conventiently ignore. And the historical movies that are starting to come out of Germany are among the best ever made, Das Boot and Der Untergang started this, but then they just kept coming. So there is competition, which is great for consumers.

When I was a history student over 25 years ago, I was bored stiff, even if I did have some of the best lecturers at my university. Unlike other academics the history professors knew how to tell a story in a lecture. But when you get into the academic side, statistics and dull references to various methodological dillemmas completly strangle any genuine enthousism you might have. So, I started writing literary history in the student newspaper. I called them "tabloid history". They were one page pieces meant to stir up interest. They were extremely well researched, but did not pretend to present original research in any way. It was a hook, to get people interested, pick up some book, make up your own mind, dream a little and so on. I was then much more interested in that prose format than in the academic articles I was supposed to master. A lot of what you do as a student is actually meant to teach you methods, and also the correct way of presenting what you find in the format of an academic article. Your actual findings are less relevant. Many theses -and even phds- are rites of passage.

Today I run a small netradio, which does much of the same as i did in the student newspaper. I wont mention the name, but it is my profile. I also have competition, one is audiobookradio.net, a British radio online which I have no problems reccomending. I do not know who runs it.
(edited 6 months ago)
As a UK school student, I really think it's a pity that we only learn about European history, or at a stretch the Middle East. The ancient cultures in Asia and Africa are fascinating too. And their "golden age" was while Europe was in the "dark ages". I think it's important to get a balanced view of cultures, and the other perspective of history, not just the ones who are most powerful at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending