The Student Room Group

stuck on my disseertation topic!

I am a 3rd year BA Hons Sociology and Social Policy student, i have to submit a dissertation proposal for my dissertation next year. I am really struggling with my topic as I want to apply for my PGCE at the end of they year so feel that my dissertation should be related in someway to the Sociology of Education, even though I haven't studied this area before. However everything I look at seems to relate to Gender and educational achievement which I don't want to do. I thought about looking at sex Education in primary schools and the impact on kids perceptions of sexuality/sex but i know that it would be impossible to set up my own qualitative study as I probably wouldn't get ethical approval. I really need some advice so if anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

( sorry about the spelling mistakes in the title, typed it too quickly and never checked!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
How about education in terms of social class?

There are so many research ideas based on this. In a book 'Schooling the Smash Street Kids' by Corrigan, in his final chapter, he brings in thoughts from different perspectives (Left and Right Wing) to then take on a Marxist perspective whilst applying his research findings, to propose ideas to change 'actions' of youths within education. He provides different explanations to other theorists on why kids play 'truant' and why the misbehave both in class and on the streets, linking both together. It is based around the state using the authority figures such as teachers and the police to use their 'power' over youths. I think he is highly influenced by Marxism.

Or another approach to look at educational achievement in terms of social class.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending