The Student Room Group

I need help writing my English personal statement!

Hi everyone,
I am currently applying to study English Language and Literature at university next year and I am writing my personal statement. At the minute I am really stuck in general on what to write, I do have quite a few extra curricular activities (and super curricular activities) under my belt, such as work experience in a primary school, being a subject ambassador etc. I am quite stuck on what to write for the main body of my personal statement as i feel it is quite hard to find a good balance between the literature and language aspects. I feel like the obvious thing for literature would be to write about books/poems etc that have impacted me, however I am struggling on how to approach this. I am also generally quite unsure on what to write about for the language aspect. I understand that a combined English degree is a bit niche, so help from people either side and the combined would be great!
I have tagged our schools team who will be able to help with this but it's worth checking out our thread as well for some general advice to get started! :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7405512

@CCCU -Rep
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
hello,
although I have not decided to take English as a course at university, I could help with the statement using my own experience. When I wrote my personal statement, I made sure to conclude how may affirmation for my subject came about (if it was a particular event and why it impacted me). For the main embodiment of my personal statement, I wrote about my wider reading into the topic and how it led me into my choice of work experience. When it came to the work experience, writing about which skills you have acquired from the situation and how it correlates to the course worked really well for me. Using what I had learnt from the work, I referenced some more wider reading topics, before closing my personal statement. The closing paragraph for me was the point where I explained other extra-curricular activities, skills I had developed, gave examples and general knowledge. Please do not forget to consistently include why you want to do this course throughout the statement.
I hope this helped.
Reply 3
Original post by ^eloise
hello,
although I have not decided to take English as a course at university, I could help with the statement using my own experience. When I wrote my personal statement, I made sure to conclude how may affirmation for my subject came about (if it was a particular event and why it impacted me). For the main embodiment of my personal statement, I wrote about my wider reading into the topic and how it led me into my choice of work experience. When it came to the work experience, writing about which skills you have acquired from the situation and how it correlates to the course worked really well for me. Using what I had learnt from the work, I referenced some more wider reading topics, before closing my personal statement. The closing paragraph for me was the point where I explained other extra-curricular activities,th skills I had developed, gave examples and general knowledge. Please do not forget to consistently include why you want to do this course throughout the statement.
I hope this helped.

thank you very much, this is really helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending