The Student Room Group

Improving GCSE mock grade?

My maths mock grade was so bad, I basically can get 30/40 in the first half, and then in the second half I got 11/40 😭😭 how do i fix this? I want an 8 and if possible a 9. Is there enough time because I really need to fix a lot of subjects this easter. I want to improve on chemistry, because I got 58% and I really don’t know what to do because I really thought that exam went well, I genuinely thought I would get 70% minimum :frown:
Other stuff I need to work on is the other 2 sciences, but not as desperately, and english, my english mock I got a 6 and a 7 and I really want an 8, I have so much to do but I have such little time :frown: I desperately need to lock in but it’s just not happening 😞
Reply 1
Hi! First of all those marks aren’t bad at all, it shows you have got a good solid knowledge of basic maths given that you scored well in the first half. The second half is where all the more difficult questions arise, ones that require more thinking definitely.

My advice for you would be to do a couple past papers and note down any topics you performed badly on. Then revise these particular topics using YouTube videos online and doing lots of past practice questions ( there’s many available online but you can especially use physics maths tutor!)

The thing with maths is just practice practice practice… and practice again.

And do not worry that you don’t have enough time! I sat my gcses a few years ago now and I was stuck on a 5 even up until the beginning of April. I ended up getting a 7 🙂 which I was very proud of. So you do have plenty of time, just use it wisely!

Good luck!
Reply 2
Hi! First of all those marks aren’t bad at all, it shows you have got a good solid knowledge of basic maths given that you scored well in the first half. The second half is where all the more difficult questions arise, ones that require more thinking definitely.

My advice for you would be to do a couple past papers and note down any topics you performed badly on. Then revise these particular topics using YouTube videos online and doing lots of past practice questions ( there’s many available online but you can especially use physics maths tutor!)

The thing with maths is just practice practice practice… and practice again.

And do not worry that you don’t have enough time! I sat my gcses a few years ago now and I was stuck on a 5 even up until the beginning of April. I ended up getting a 7 🙂 which I was very proud of. So you do have plenty of time, just use it wisely!

Good luck you’ve got this!

Quick Reply

Latest