The Student Room Group

C2 Help!

Q9) i) The first, second and fourth terms of a geometric progression form the first 3 terms of an arithmetic progression. The terms are all different. Show that r32r+1=0r^3-2r+1=0
I got as far as:
a+ar+ar3=a+(a+d)+(a+2d)a+ar+ar^3=a+(a+d)+(a+2d)
Then :confused:
How to I get rid of the ds?
Reply 1
If a, ar and ar^3 are the first 3 terms of an arithmetic sequence then they have the same common difference.

Can you form an equation with these terms?
Reply 2
Original post by vc94
If a, ar and ar^3 are the first 3 terms of an arithmetic sequence then they have the same common difference.

Can you form an equation with these terms?

thanks for that :smile: , i didn't recognize that either :eek:
Reply 3
I thought it meant the sum of the GP was equal to the sum of the AP terms. Instead, a=a; ar=a+d; ar^3=a+2d.
Original post by Plankey
I thought it meant the sum of the GP was equal to the sum of the AP terms. Instead, a=a; ar=a+d; ar^3=a+2d.

It also means that the sum of the GP is equal to the sum of the AP, its just that that is not helpful in solving the problem when examined like that.
Reply 5
Original post by Plankey
Q9) i) The first, second and fourth terms of a geometric progression form the first 3 terms of an arithmetic progression. The terms are all different. Show that r32r+1=0r^3-2r+1=0
I got as far as:
a+ar+ar3=a+(a+d)+(a+2d)a+ar+ar^3=a+(a+d)+(a+2d)
Then :confused:
How to I get rid of the ds?

a+ar+ar^3=a+(a+d)+(a+2d)

a+ar+ar^3=3a+3d

a+d=ar
d=ar-a

sub in

a+ar+ar^3=3a+3(ar-a)
a+ar+ar^3=3a+3ar-3a
a+ar+ar^3=3ar
a+ar+ar^3=3ar
a-2ar+ar^3=0
rewrite neater: ar^3-2ar+a=0
divide by a: r^3-2r+1=0
Reply 6
Thanks for that! The way the question was phrased really confused me, but it was fine after you got rid of the d.
Reply 7
Original post by Plankey
Thanks for that! The way the question was phrased really confused me, but it was fine after you got rid of the d.

That's ok! I'm doing my C2 exam next week so it was good practise haha:biggrin:
Reply 8
yep same, hopefully i'll be up to scratch by then

Quick Reply

Latest