The Student Room Group

How are A-levels viewed by foreign universities?

Just wondering if anyone would have a good idea of whether A-levels are seen as being on the same level as SAT's or AP exams?

In my research I've found that an A-level is approximately equal to what you might learn in the first year at a university in North America.

My goal is to study in the UK and that is why I'm pursuing A-levels through distance learning. However, my backup plan is to use these A-levels to apply to schools in my home country of Canada. (Circuitous way of doing things, I know!)
Reply 1
They are very highly regarded.
Much more than say AP classes or even the SAT(which is GCSE level)
Original post by MizzPoly
Just wondering if anyone would have a good idea of whether A-levels are seen as being on the same level as SAT's or AP exams?

In my research I've found that an A-level is approximately equal to what you might learn in the first year at a university in North America.

My goal is to study in the UK and that is why I'm pursuing A-levels through distance learning. However, my backup plan is to use these A-levels to apply to schools in my home country of Canada. (Circuitous way of doing things, I know!)

They are regarded much more highly than the SAT/ACT actually and higher than AP exams too, you are right about A-levels sort of being the level of first year unviersity in America.
for applying to the UK with A levels, it should be very simple since it's the standard qualification over here, so don't worry about SATs at all for UK entry... just aim for as many A's as possible :smile:
Reply 4
A levels are about the standard of first year degree in north america? wow I never knew that. I know ours degrees are shorter but there shorter than scottish ones to and scottish people can go a year earlier and you can go straight into second year in scotland if you have the right A levels or advanced highers. so in north america they stay in highschool until there 18 and then start what would be the level we do at 18 if they go to first year university?
Reply 5
Yer A levels are what you study in college in the UK before going onto to Uni using those A levels you've just got. So good luck and just aim high in your A levels and you should be able to get into Uni over here :smile:
Reply 6
a-levels are not seen as equivialent to 1st year by top US unis though.
In Germany A-levels are not seen as equivalent to german high school degrees.

not sure why a-levels are beeign compared to SATs. They are completely unrelated matters. To get into a US uni you'll most likely have to take SATs even if you have A-levels
Original post by KLL
a-levels are not seen as equivialent to 1st year by top US unis though.
In Germany A-levels are not seen as equivalent to german high school degrees.

not sure why a-levels are beeign compared to SATs. They are completely unrelated matters. To get into a US uni you'll most likely have to take SATs even if you have A-levels

Exactly what ive been thinking, this whole time while reading the rest of the replies..

SATs are like entrance exams.. standard so u can easily be compared with the rest of the entrees .. A levels is a general system of schooling, its equivalent to IBs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending