The Student Room Group

Is it worth taking an A-Level in your Native language (Urdu)?

For my ASs I got As in Physics, Chem, English and Crit thinking + a B in Bio + C in Maths.

At our college we have to drop Critical Thinking anyways and I'm also dropping Maths.

I'm applying to study Medicine (hopefully University of Birmingham), and was thinking is it worth taking A-Level Urdu during my A2 year??? Would Universities like it?
(I speak Urdu at home and hence I am good at it - got A* for GCSE in year 10).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Sounds like a good idea, nice to have a qualification in a language :smile:
Though I'm fluent in speaking/listening i'm hopeless at reading/writing flopped my gcse :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by Evanescencer
For my ASs I got As in Bio, Chem, English and Crit thinking + a B in Physics + C in Maths.

At our college we have to drop Critical Thinking anyways and I'm also dropping Maths.

I'm applying to study Medicine (hopefully University of Birmingham), and was thinking is it worth taking A-Level Urdu during my A2 year??? Would Universities like it?
(I speak Urdu at home and hence I am good at it - got A* for GCSE in year 10).

Possibly, but the top uni's sometimes don't accept it because its in your native language........................ especially as your doing medicine it could affect your application
Reply 3
It is likely they won't take it as part of your offer/application if it's your native language, particularly for such a competitive course.

If you can do it without any effort then you might as well, but you'd be better just putting the time into your other subjects or the UKCAT/BMAT/volunteering side of things.
If you can get a good A-Level grade out of it, then yes, I would say it was worth it, especially if the university lets you use it as part of the offer.
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
Possibly, but the top uni's sometimes don't accept it because its in your native language........................ especially as your doing medicine it could affect your application

In what way?

Anyways, my enrolement was today and I decided to take it on alongside my A2 subjects + I've had a look at the exam papers (Edexcel) and seems pretty straight forward :smile:
Reply 6
In what way?

Anyways, my enrolement was today and I decided to take it on alongside my A2 subjects + I've had a look at the exam papers (Edexcel) and seems pretty straight forward :smile:

Because of the fact thats its your native language, they see it as a unfair advantage and expect you to do well. Nor does it show you work hard, etc.......
Reply 7
Because of the fact thats its your native language, they see it as a unfair advantage and expect you to do well. Nor does it show you work hard, etc.......

Hmm I see...since the only reason I'm doing it is as I think I'll get a good grade without working.
But it's just something extra on the side so hopefully it won't look too bad.
Reply 8
Hmm I see...since the only reason I'm doing it is as I think I'll get a good grade without working.
But it's just something extra on the side so hopefully it won't look too bad.

If its an extra one on top of 3 full A2's it'll be fine and some uni's accept on results day if u did bad in one :smile:
I heard urdu @ a -level is a major step up from gcse. You might wanna check the modules before you actualy step into it.

Does that mean that all british students that do english a-level have an unfair advantage?
Reply 10
Original post by diracdeltafunc
I heard urdu @ a -level is a major step up from gcse. You might wanna check the modules before you actualy step into it.

Does that mean that all british students that do english a-level have an unfair advantage?

No .......... firstly there's 2 types English language and English literature ........... neither requires you to test your speaking ability otherwise it'll be easy, another thing is that these a-levels are nothing like that of a foreign language a-level apart from maybe the written essays. On closer inspection you'll see that they are much more in depth, comparative and much more advanced.
No .......... firstly there's 2 types English language and English literature ........... neither requires you to test your speaking ability otherwise it'll be easy, another thing is that these a-levels are nothing like that of a foreign language a-level apart from maybe the written essays. On closer inspection you'll see that they are much more in depth, comparative and much more advanced.

I distinctively recall having many speaking and listening assessments (debates, public speaking in both goups and on my own).
Reply 12
I distinctively recall having many speaking and listening assessments (debates, public speaking in both goups and on my own).

I never did, I did AS English Literature only got 2 coursework pieces and exam............... recall my friend in AS English Language had coursework and exams as with me. Just look at the course........ theres a reason why they accept English lan or lit in comparison to a native language alevel because they are significantly different
I never did, I did AS English Literature only got 2 coursework pieces and exam............... recall my friend in AS English Language had coursework and exams as with me. Just look at the course........ theres a reason why they accept English lan or lit in comparison to a native language alevel because they are significantly different

I dont know if they discriminate but if they do then i think it is unfair.
Reply 14
I dont know if they discriminate but if they do then i think it is unfair.

I wouldn't say its discriminating its looking at a applicants ability on closer inspections mainly the top tier uni's do it, i think its acceptable because there's a huge difference in foreign languages and English lit or lang a-level. Especially if its your native tongue you wouldn't have to practice or work as hard compared to people whos native language isn't that subject. Many top unis have secret blacklist because of soft a-levels which makes sense to me.
Reply 15
For English A-Level you'll be expected to have a Level C2 command of the language to get top grades.

For a foreign language A-Level you'd be expected to demonstrate Level B1-B2 (up to three levels lower han C2) to get top grades.

That's because one has been conceived for native speakers and the other for people learning that language as a foreign language.

Obviously unis are not going to be impressed by a native speaker doing well in a foreign language A-Level in their native language. That's because it's not impressive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Email the uni. Plenty of unis will accept it, but equally, many won't accept an A-level in your native tongue. Especially for such a competitive course such as medicine.
I did psychology, biology, chemistry and Spanish(my native language) at AS and was planning to drop psychology and only do the other 3 for the full A-level. After reading this I think I'm not going to drop any haha
I wouldn't say its discriminating its looking at a applicants ability on closer inspections mainly the top tier uni's do it, i think its acceptable because there's a huge difference in foreign languages and English lit or lang a-level. Especially if its your native tongue you wouldn't have to practice or work as hard compared to people whos native language isn't that subject. Many top unis have secret blacklist because of soft a-levels which makes sense to me.

If I take English general paper as a subject in my alevels will foreign universities accept it as a subject

Quick Reply

Latest