The Student Room Group

NARIC equivalences and GCSE equivalences (Maths and English)

I'd like to hear from people who have been discriminated against for having GCSE equivalences from secondary schools abroad (ie "foreign" schools, not Brit schools abroad) and also what was presented as GCSE English equivalences. My NARIC records have been disregarded by some SCITTs and I have been wrongly told that I need to do IELTS. The crucial thing at this moment (I am building a case against these ITT people) is to find proof that other applicants have non-UK quals, and have been accepted. I have 2 Masters in any case. Never thought this situation would ever arise until I applied for a PGCE/ teacher training. All unis (including European ones) never had any problem with my secondary school diploma. The GCSE in English I was told is covered by Cambridge Proficiency (got an A), but some SCITTs argued that the qual was "too old". By the same token ALL GCSEs are "too old" after a certain span of time.
Original post by Voxdei
I'd like to hear from people who have been discriminated against for having GCSE equivalences from secondary schools abroad (ie "foreign" schools, not Brit schools abroad) and also what was presented as GCSE English equivalences. My NARIC records have been disregarded by some SCITTs and I have been wrongly told that I need to do IELTS. The crucial thing at this moment (I am building a case against these ITT people) is to find proof that other applicants have non-UK quals, and have been accepted. I have 2 Masters in any case. Never thought this situation would ever arise until I applied for a PGCE/ teacher training. All unis (including European ones) never had any problem with my secondary school diploma. The GCSE in English I was told is covered by Cambridge Proficiency (got an A), but some SCITTs argued that the qual was "too old". By the same token ALL GCSEs are "too old" after a certain span of time.

Why is this so important?

a) there is no discrimination issue, discrimination is about protected characteristics, not qualifications

b) organisations are allowed to make their own judgements about equivalencies and entry qualifications

I'm not suggesting it isn't deeply frustrating or illogical from your perspective, but "building a case against these ITT people" is surely a waste of time, effort and heartbeats.
Original post by Voxdei

Institutions decide their own rules as to what they require for entrance.
Not really sure its worth the effort of a crusade v just giving them what they want.
You can usually make an appeal, but it is up to them.
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift

a) there is no discrimination issue, discrimination is about protected characteristics, not qualifications

b) organisations are allowed to make their own judgements about equivalencies and entry qualifications

I'm not suggesting it isn't deeply frustrating or illogical from your perspective, but "building a case against these ITT people" is surely a waste of time, effort and heartbeats.

Excuse me, if I have been messed about since January by this ITT mafia, don't you think I have a right to know why the hell I wasted so much time filling in that stupid UCAS form, only to hear that the only degree that demands all these acrobatics is a PGCE, which historically until very recently was for mediocre students - 2:2 and under, and even before this, was not even considered a university degree at all ? In any case you are not the target of my email, but other applicants that have got screwed in the same way.
Original post by Voxdei
Excuse me, if I have been messed about since January by this ITT mafia, don't you think I have a right to know why the hell I wasted so much time filling in that stupid UCAS form, only to hear that the only degree that demands all these acrobatics is a PGCE, which historically until very recently was for mediocre students - 2:2 and under, and even before this, was not even considered a university degree at all ? In any case you are not the target of my email, but other applicants that have got screwed in the same way.

But all you are doing is wasting more of your time. It may be frustrating and illogical from your point of view as an individual. It is probably rational and sensible form their perspective as an organisation, legitimately entitled to set their own entry standards.

You can waste all your time and energy on pursuing this, but there is no satisfactory outcome for you, because you are tilting at windmills.
Reply 5
But all you are doing is wasting more of your time. It may be frustrating and illogical from your point of view as an individual. It is probably rational and sensible form their perspective as an organisation, legitimately entitled to set their own entry standards.

You can waste all your time and energy on pursuing this, but there is no satisfactory outcome for you, because you are tilting at windmills.

I love tilting at windmills ! Especially when the world is run by incompetent scoundrels who one week are asking for "official" translations (during lockdown, expensive even in "normal" life) and then the same people are turning me down at the other end - the end of the SD/SCITT lot or whatever scheme they have - so it would have been a waste of money AND time.

What they want for Teacher-Training is cookie cutter people. Preferably English, your average Joe, for this type of schemes someone from some bog standard comprehensive, clear quals (nothing fancy, not this "foreigners" business of having quals written in European languages). You get the picture. Oh - nothing elitist either mind - I see that nobody has stuck their Victorian long nose into my French quals from Uni, part of the year abroad. If each provider makes their own decisions, why did I bother to pay NARIC for a transcript statement.
Original post by Voxdei
I'd like to hear from people who have been discriminated against for having GCSE equivalences from secondary schools abroad (ie
Reply 7
[quote="HanaMusilova;99031507"]
Original post by Voxdei
I'd like to hear from people who have been discriminated against for having GCSE equivalences from secondary schools abroad (ie

Hana, are you picking up on what I said - basically some universities don't even recognise NARIC equivalences, and in my experience (then in 2020) I got nowhere with the "thick" universities. Clever places even allowed me to do the translation myself of my quals, thick ones wanted me to watch a video. You can imagine what I told them to do with their video. You sound Russian/Slavic, your level of education will be high, so change your application and don't waste time with idiots. In this country they still have not understood that equality does not equal quality. I really don't want to be told after all this time what goes and what doesn't - but the PGCE did not disappoint in the sense is that it is "led by donkeys". Talk to people in person.
Reply 8
[quote="HanaMusilova;99031507"]
Original post by Voxdei

I have answered - but the "system" has deleted my reply. In short, don't bother with idiots at registry, change university or college/school.
Reply 9

I have just received an email reminder that someone has the same query - I spent time to answer it - it "disappears". I wrote to her again. Please don't waste my time as well. If you can't see why it's important, then you are in the wrong job, don't you think. Some Helper you are. Perhaps there's a job in Lapland for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending