The Student Room Group

Higher English Post Mortem Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laridum
I'll scan it if no one has yet.

Would be much appreciated, no rush though.

GL with your offer, btw. SOAS :love:
Reply 81
i cried during the close reading..in my head anyways.
the questions were oh-so-weird. That 3 mark understanding question about the rewards was just disgusting.. WHY 3 MARKS WHEN IT ONLY MENTIONED 1 POINT YOU STUPID SQA!

For CE, I actually started loling to myself...out loud.
Couldn't help it after seeing the poetry question about destructive force of time since my poem is Sonnet 65 by William Shakey.

Then I chose the wrong question for "All Quiet on the western front" by erich maria remarque - picked the one about flawed character that you admired.. Apparently, paul isn't flawed.
:l
Reply 82
Thought on the whole the exam was pretty good!

Felt weird when I opened the CR paper cause just before I went in I said to my mate " Wouldn't it be good if the passages were about something we know a lot about, like video games or something" then BAM!. Lot's of analysis which isn't my best but managed to make something out of it. Then wrote 2 and a half pages on the comparison question :smile:

The essay questions were quite good. Chose the one about love being put to the test for The Great Gatsby and the one about a blend of Narrative and Reflection for "Originally"
i hadn't revised my play, but apparently they're was no tasks for it anyway so all was good :P
Original post by kpopjpop
the questions were oh-so-weird. That 3 mark understanding question about the rewards was just disgusting.. WHY 3 MARKS WHEN IT ONLY MENTIONED 1 POINT YOU STUPID SQA!

Couldn't help it after seeing the poetry question about destructive force of time since my poem is Sonnet 65 by William Shakey.

Then I chose the wrong question for "All Quiet on the western front" by erich maria remarque - picked the one about flawed character that you admired.. Apparently, paul isn't flawed.

Cheer up, close reading questions are always a bit more obscure than they need to be :s-smilie:

And although the question may not be ideal, if you have managed to argue your stance well then you can still obtain a good mark :smile:
Reply 84
Close Reading... the passage was on something I have been wanting to do a Close Reading excercise on, and here it was! I was very, very intimidated by the sheer amount of questions worth 3-4 marks, there was LOADS. Language and style I felt I handled well, as the vocab used in both passages very well supported the opposing points. Some of the questions I found were worded funny, one of them was the contrast between the negative view of new media or something? :confused:

Close reading was alright, I guess. The manipulation question screamed "MACBETH ACT 1 SCENE 7!" so I did that, and wrote 5 sides of A4 so I hope to God it's all valid. Slung in around 10 quotes just to flex my knowledge :wink: Did the narrative view point for Color Purple, as it is written in letters, allowing for this that and the next thing but I found it very hard to write for. My wrist was knackered after my first essay.

Leaving the exam hall, I have no idea how well I done, I really don't think I failed as I answered everything to the best of my knowledge. I just hope the SQA realise how daunting a bunch of 4 mark analysis questions look when they are all in a row. Also, 30 marks for passage one, 15 for passage 2?! We need some equality up in here. Hope we all did better than expected, and that is it DONE!
Reply 85
Original post by kpopjpop

I thought that one that was 3 marks about rewards was hard too!
Then anybody do question 2 for drama?
I loved the poetry question, but the drama question was so friggin hard. :frown:
Ah well, no more english. :wink:
Reply 87
Original post by S7U4R7

Me too! That was a wierd question.
Reply 88
Did anyone do question 6 for the Cone Gatherers and done it on Calum?
And Question 4 about Macbeth?
I think I picked all the wrong questions :l
Reply 89
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Cheer up, close reading questions are always a bit more obscure than they need to be :s-smilie:

And although the question may not be ideal, if you have managed to argue your stance well then you can still obtain a good mark :smile:

aww, thanks.
i HOPE i managed to argue my point well enough... or HELLO! to english next year :banghead::banghead:
Original post by AllanMcG
I did the same one for you on The Cone-Gatherers but when I came out of the exam I realised that Calum doesnt actually have any flaws (except the hunchback of course) So what did you write about exactly lol cos I'm worrying that I've picked the wrong question

The hunchback is a very clear fault - I even went as far to say it was a fatal flaw as it stimulated Duror's insatisfiable hate, causing him, in his mental deterioration to kill Calum.

Also the simplicity of mind is a flaw, he's bit a thick in other words.

I first wrote about his admirable qualities using quotes like the speckled orange needles, and the grass stained jacket. How he was at home in the trees and happy there to show both an affinity with nature and a simple mind.
Spoke about his beautiful face adding to his innocence, and followed that up with "upon his misshapen lump of a body sat a face so beautiful as to be a diabolical joke" to talk about the flawed hump.
I said in my introduction that Jenkins showed this flaw and his admirable qualities through Symbolism and Key Scene, so my next paragraph hopped into the scene of the deer drive - how it made Calum like a Christ-like figure, and how good he was and shiz.
Into my final main paragraph, I included a sentence about Duror being evil and despising Calum because of his deformity. Didn't go far enough to be irrelevant; didn't analyse Duror's character, simply said he killed Calum and loathed him because of his hump. Then dived into calum's death being symbolic - Conclusion followed.
Reply 91
Original post by S7U4R7

ikr, i waffled for that question.
T___T
Reply 92
Reply 93
what about the question about gratification? I'm sure I didn't get that one right, lol.
Original post by craigster00
For The Crucible, I answered question 2 and talked about how John was constantly tempted to confess by Danforth and after his evidence fails to overthrow the court, and then went back to why he had an affair with Abigail in the first place and how that affected the end of the play...not the best question, hope that it was a relevant answer though!

I also answered question 16 and talked about how Duffy creates a sinister tone throughout "Shooting Stars".

i did the same questions as you, except i did havisham by carol ann duffy instead of shooting stars. i really think i ****ed up though :frown: i did really well in the prelim but i'm gutted cos this was a subject i really thought i could get an A in, and now it's done.
Reply 95
Original post by Rosieposy_x
i did the same questions as you, except i did havisham by carol ann duffy instead of shooting stars. i really think i ****ed up though :frown: i did really well in the prelim but i'm gutted cos this was a subject i really thought i could get an A in, and now it's done.

I did this question but on Duffy's Education for Leisure :smile:
I'm amazed at how easy the Close Reading was! I finished it with 15 minutes to spare as well which is weird cos when i've done past papers i've barely finished and missed some questions.

I just about **** myself when i saw the Critical Essay questions, like what the hell??? But i chose the isolation question for Lord of the Flies and the sinister question for Glasgow Sonnets and i think they were pretty good. I had to do some serious manipulation to get the stuff i learnt to fit though!

I sure i've passed anyway and that's the main thing :biggrin:
Original post by rachiesy
I actually feel really kinda gutted.

Close reading I found really difficult. I'm not great at style questions - and there seemed to be a helluva lot. Although, I'd revised and revised and revised style for the last 5-mark question. But instead, it was only ideas. Overall, close reading was NOT good. I think I'm looking at a C?

My essays were shiiiit. I went in and forgot EVERYTHING. I did "Othello" for the manipulation question and "Brooklyn Cop" for the sinister tone question. But, I only wrote about 800 words for the Brooklyn Cop question - is this an automatic fail because it was too short? Also, I use the computer for my critical essay paper - which is good, because I need it. But, it's so easy to make typos on the computer, and if I've made too many i could be seriously marked down due to spelling. I was struggling so hadn't left enough time at the end to read over and make sure I hadn't made any spelling errors.

I think I have a C/D. Let's just hope my folio goes okay.

Brb. I'm away to go and jump off a cliff :frown: LOL

I feel exactly the same way.I came home today and cried.Close Reading was bearable but the essays were torture.Nothing fit properly.I got two A's in my folio,will that bring my grade up at all?

:redface:
Reply 98
Original post by Martyna156
what about the question about gratification? I'm sure I didn't get that one right, lol.

i had no clue what it meant! :L I've got a very limited knowledge of vocabulary, aha.
And the imperceptibly one - got no clue what that means..
Didn't get Q13, forgot how to evaluate the conclusion..

but, anway, wee boris!
WHAT A CHARACTER! harhar :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by OddThings
I feel exactly the same way.I came home today and cried.Close Reading was bearable but the essays were torture.Nothing fit properly.I got two A's in my folio,will that bring my grade up at all?

:redface:

me too! :frown: it should do, it's 20% of the overall grade isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending