The Student Room Group

Hardest And Easiest Highers

Hi there I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone think there easiest and hardest highers are.

I'll start.

Easiest: Computing
Hardest: Physical Education

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by GreigM
Hi there I just wanted to get an idea of what everyone think there easiest and hardest highers are.

I'll start.

Easiest: Computing
Hardest: Physical Education

:smile:

Easiest: Subjects such as Law, Biology, economics, basically everything that is just pure memory/just read a book and learn what it tells you.

Hardest: Real subjects such as Maths, Physics, Engineering, which actually need brainpower to learn.
for me,

easiest; english
hardest; maths
Eh, I suppose it varies from person to person, but the easiest Higher I've done was Computing, and the hardest is English.
Reply 4
How is p.e the hardest higher omg.

Easiest higher: geography. It's actually a pjss take, you get like a mark for naming a country and all sorts. Basically you memorise a book and you've got an A.
Hardest higher: chemistry. I struggle more with English than chemistry but English isn't that hard, it's just that I can't do it :tongue:
Reply 5
Original post by nerd434
Easiest: I'll go with Biology. The material itself isn't all that difficult, there's just a fair amount of it. If you have an interest in Biology and you're keen to learn the content, it's more or less a guaranteed A grade.

I agree, unit 1 and 2 provide little difficulties for me (apart from meiosis/mitosis but I'm never learning that :tongue:) But unit 3... omg. It's all new stuff and my teacher has been off so we've been working through it ourselves. We have 3 weeks left of school and still got 3 1/2 books to do... It's getting to the point where everyone is panicking if we will finish the course in time :frown:

Plus when I look at past papers about unit 3 stuff, I can't do any of it. Even though I've just completed it in class. It's completely ridiculous. He is always off.

Rant over.
Reply 6
I don't know what I would say for hardest as although I'm finding Physics difficult I don't think that it's the actual subject which is too bad I just have a beyond useless teacher :tongue: But as far as easiest goes, for me there is no doubt, it has to be maths. The first two units especially are insanely easy! :rolleyes:
For me, it's Higher English. It took me a little while to properly get into my stride with regards to the essays and how to answer them correctly. Not really a subject you can cram for. I actually find modern studies hard in being able to write concisely in very tight time constraints, although the actual content itself is straightforward.
My easiest subjects have been French, German, and History. If you're good at languages, then French and German shouldn't be too taxing - the workload is pretty light in comparism to some subjects and the topics just seem to be a continuation of SG with perhaps a few fancy phrases and constructions thrown in. Plus, watching films, listening to music all counts as revision. :wink:. As for History, the essays are pretty straightforward once you get used to it, and it's not one of those subjects where the essay questions are notoriously unpredictable (I'm looking at you, higher English). Paper 2, the source questions, is a doddle once you've nailed the technique as there are only two types of questions ("to what extent"/"how useful"?)
Overall, it's very difficult to define "hardest" and "easiest" highers, as this is such a subjective question, but that's just my take on things. Some , say, may find Higher maths a doddle, whereas if I had taken it I would have foundered.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Overall, it's very difficult to define "hardest" and "easiest" highers, as this is such a subjective question, but that's just my take on things. Some , say, may find Higher maths a doddle, whereas if I had taken it I would have foundered.

True! You got 99% on your German prelim right? If I took Higher German, I probably wouldn't have gotten a 9th of that... I completely failed my standard grade German listening :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by TheFOMaster
True! You got 99% on your German prelim right? If I took Higher German, I probably wouldn't have gotten a 9th of that... I completely failed my standard grade German listening :tongue:

I got 4/20 in my int 2 french listening prelim pmsl
Original post by TheFOMaster

I did :smile:. Don't worry I got a 3 for my Standard Grade maths exam, which is pretty dire... :colondollar:
I also only scraped through 2nd year chemistry with 50%...:tongue:.
From looking through the forums, you seem to be pretty damn good at the sciences/maths.
Reply 11
For me, hardest is maths.
I got an A band 1 in every other prelim but failed maths!

I'm studying my ass off for it just now XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Easiest: Biology and Geography. As someone already said, learn everything from book all by heart and you'll get an A.
Hardest: Chemistry
Reply 13
Easiest: geography
Hardest: history

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad
Reply 14
Easiest: music
Hardest: politics, history

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by CSM1996
I got 4/20 in my int 2 french listening prelim pmsl

Did I miss something. Why is this funny... ? Don't you care if you fail?
Reply 16
It's such a subjective question. :rofl:
for me, easiest: Geography
Hardest: Maths
Reply 18
Original post by Tycho
Did I miss something. Why is this funny... ? Don't you care if you fail?

I still got an A overall... it's cause I was in an int 1/int 2 french class so we hadn't done any french listening before. Therefore, that was my first. So.. taking things in to consideration, it's hardly bad.
Personally...

Easiest: English, it was just something that automatically clicked in my head
Hardest: Maths, did really well in all the prelims, freaked out in the exam. So maybe Chemistry was harder, which makes me wonder why I'm doing pharmacy :lol:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending