The Student Room Group

Higher Maths Post Mortem thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
also, in the 7 and 9 mark questions in paper 2, does anyone know how the marks are split up? ie for steps and working?
Reply 381
Original post by INeedToLoseWeight
Someone here thinks they only dropped about 6 marks, and a lot of people say "oh that integration question was just throwing marks at you". In an exam situation, I blanked and completely forgot how to do that type of question, and did pretty much everything wrong!! :frown:

You'll always get people like that though, it's dead annoying but you have to get used to it! Yeah i came out and thought i had it wrong too because like my whole year had integrated it five times and i had only done it twice so i was like crap ten marks down the drain! Did you do any of the question at all? Because if you wrote down stuff you'll get marks for it :O
Original post by LHC
You'll always get people like that though, it's dead annoying but you have to get used to it! Yeah i came out and thought i had it wrong too because like my whole year had integrated it five times and i had only done it twice so i was like crap ten marks down the drain! Did you do any of the question at all? Because if you wrote down stuff you'll get marks for it :O

I did, but instead of doing two intergrations, and then adding them, I did it between 3 and -2 and just intergrated them in one intergration adding them together. I'm ****ed!!!
Reply 383
I did, but instead of doing two intergrations, and then adding them, I did it between 3 and -2 and just intergrated them in one intergration adding them together. I'm ****ed!!!

You wouldn't lose ten marks for that, you'd at least get four! :smile: So you aren't ****ed :smile: I think you'll have done much better than you think you've done :smile: What were you hoping for?
Original post by LHC
You wouldn't lose ten marks for that, you'd at least get four! :smile: So you aren't ****ed :smile: I think you'll have done much better than you think you've done :smile: What were you hoping for?

Really? Thank you!! Well, I was hoping for atleast a C, but aiming for a B, but that has gone out the window now!!! I think if I get a C I would be really happy, because maths isn't my strong point at all.
Reply 385
Really? Thank you!! Well, I was hoping for atleast a C, but aiming for a B, but that has gone out the window now!!! I think if I get a C I would be really happy, because maths isn't my strong point at all.

Yep :smile: It's actually amazing the amount of marks you pick up even when you've got the question wrong :smile: I'm sure you'll definitely pass and you never know, you may get that B you hoped for :smile: so don't worry about it, it's done and dusted! Do you take higher physics by any chance? Cause i'm screwed for that :L
I got roughly 48 for the first paper. I haven't checked paper 2.

I'm aiming for a B, but I doubt I'll get that with how difficult I found the second paper...
Original post by LHC
Yep :smile: It's actually amazing the amount of marks you pick up even when you've got the question wrong :smile: I'm sure you'll definitely pass and you never know, you may get that B you hoped for :smile: so don't worry about it, it's done and dusted! Do you take higher physics by any chance? Cause i'm screwed for that :L

Thanks for the confidence boost! only need SG maths at 1 for what I want to do, which is what I have, so its not a disaster if i fail. Noo, one maths- based subject was enough for me, much more into more essay- based subjects!! Good luck with it though, I hear physics is really hard!! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly, you seem to have done very well in maths!!
Reply 388
Thanks for the confidence boost! only need SG maths at 1 for what I want to do, which is what I have, so its not a disaster if i fail. Noo, one maths- based subject was enough for me, much more into more essay- based subjects!! Good luck with it though, I hear physics is really hard!! I'm sure you'll do brilliantly, you seem to have done very well in maths!!

You're very welcome :smile: well if that's the case then you definitely don't need to worry about it :smile: what are you wanting to do :smile:? haha, i see :L see i'm a maths person but not an english person! I hate english with a passion! Yeah it is, and to top it off i have an awful teacher! Thank you :smile:
I sat Higher Maths last year, and I can remember last year's post-exam wave of depression. However, having looked through this year's paper, I felt this paper was of similar/higher difficulty to what we sat.

The logarithms and circles question in Paper 2 were atypically difficult. It was absurd to give 9 marks for that circles question. Considering the steps were: Find centre and radius from standard form circle equation, use distance formula, use simple inequation, it should have been worth 5 marks at most.
Original post by innerhollow
It was absurd to give 9 marks for that circles question. Considering the steps were: Find centre and radius from standard form circle equation, use distance formula, use simple inequation, it should have been worth 5 marks at most.

True, but the key differing point is that it was not at all obvious that these are the things you had to do. In a sense I think they are giving extra marks for problem solving and forming a clear strategy.

Right I think I'll do Paper 1 soon just for completeness. :smile:
Reply 391
Please see where I would allocate marks - as some have been asking. They are by no means official - I have just got an educated guess and this is basically where i think you will get marks. Even looking over it a few times I could move a few of the marks up/down the working so no fretting!!
Reply 392
Original post by posterpreviouslyknownascoss:D
Please see where I would allocate marks - as some have been asking. They are by no means official - I have just got an educated guess and this is basically where i think you will get marks. Even looking over it a few times I could move a few of the marks up/down the working so no fretting!!

Well using your marking scheme i get an overall total form both papers of 89% which is very nice indeed. I lost all marks for the log question, 3 on the last one and a couple on integration and that was it for papaer 2.

I might get my A1 :biggrin:
Original post by ukdragon37
True, but the key differing point is that it was not at all obvious that these are the things you had to do. In a sense I think they are giving extra marks for problem solving and forming a clear strategy.

Right I think I'll do Paper 1 soon just for completeness. :smile:

I understand the logic of rewarding abilities of deduction and the completion of a tough problem solving question, rather than just mechanical repetition, but usually the mark scheme sticks to allocating marks on a step-by-step basis. Although having looked through the paper, there wasn't really anything else in the way of problem-solving, so I suppose it is fair to attach lots of marks to problem solving ability displayed in that last question.

I found that Circles question harder than the final question of my Advanced Higher exam actually! The Advanced Higher one, despite being 13 marks, told you how to get started and helped you throughout. This one gave you very little information.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by innerhollow
I found that Circles question harder than the final question of my Advanced Higher exam actually! The Advanced Higher one, despite being 13 marks, told you how to get started and helped you throughout. This one gave you very little information.

That is because the focus of Higher and AH is different. Higher is much more oriented (or has been in the past) towards problem solving than AH is. With some excpetions, an AH question would normally just be a "pure" mathematics question whereas Higher often shrouds questions in wordy problems.
Here are the solutions for paper 1. It's not drastically different to the Invergordon version so it's only up here for completeness if you want the set :smile:
Out of interest, could I still pick up a few marks for working if I integrated my answer from 6a in 6b, but forgot to change my degrees into radians in a so didn't do so in b until after i'd integrated it? I didn't get the right answer because i messed up arithmetically but would i still get maybe 1 or 2 marks if there's evidence of trying to solve for t in the right domain (using the CAST diagram)?

thanks

scrap that, i also screwed up the integration (that must have been the 'arithmetic error' XD) any chance of 1 or 2 marks even for attempting to solve t afterwards? :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 397
Original post by why-hello-there
Out of interest, could I still pick up a few marks for working if I integrated my answer from 6a in 6b, but forgot to change my degrees into radians in a so didn't do so in b until after i'd integrated it? I didn't get the right answer because i messed up arithmetically but would i still get maybe 1 or 2 marks if there's evidence of trying to solve for t in the right domain (using the CAST diagram)?

thanks

scrap that, i also screwed up the integration (that must have been the 'arithmetic error' XD) any chance of 1 or 2 marks even for attempting to solve t afterwards? :tongue:

i'd say you're likely to get marks for your working at the end
Reply 398
Marked mine and everything seems right apart from one stupid mistake I made resulting in losing 2 marks , probably the most annoying thing ever! But anyway , mark should hopefully be high 90s, possibly 95-98. And I kinda disagree with most people, I thought it was wayyyy easier than pretty much every past paper ive done!
Reply 399
Original post by ganymede
Marked mine and everything seems right apart from one stupid mistake I made resulting in losing 2 marks , probably the most annoying thing ever! But anyway , mark should hopefully be high 90s, possibly 95-98. And I kinda disagree with most people, I thought it was wayyyy easier than pretty much every past paper ive done!

I agree. I thought paper 2 of 2007 was worse than the one we just did (2011). I've marked my answers and I'm hoping for an A, maybe even a band 1. Pretty chuffed since I only got 60 percent in my prelim.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending