The Student Room Group

Higher Maths Post Mortem thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Darrenh800
Did 21 not get divided into 4 questions in which you had to find T in part d or was that part of c ?

it was a,b then ci and cii where you have to first find an equation then prove point E is on it

it only tells you the whole of c is worth 5 altogether :smile:
Original post by why-hello-there
21. a worth 2
b worth 3
c worth 5

22. a worth 2
b worth 8
c worth 3

23a worth 5
b worth 2

If you want to know what the questions asked just quote me back :smile:

thanks alot

also in the stationary point question i got the s.p's but i endded up getting they were point of inflections lol how much marks do u think i will lose for this

in the 2nd paper for the logs question i ended up subbing in log10 rather than log 2 i got k but not n how much marks do u think i will lose

for the intergartion paer i must have subbed in the wrong values how much follow through marks will i get

for the last paper 2 question i subbed in the wrong value for the distance formula but continued on will i get follow through marks if so how much lol

i know its a bit much but you did say if u have any other questions....

thanks alot
Original post by soldier-4-life
thanks alot

also in the stationary point question i got the s.p's but i endded up getting they were point of inflections lol how much marks do u think i will lose for this

in the 2nd paper for the logs question i ended up subbing in log10 rather than log 2 i got k but not n how much marks do u think i will lose

for the intergartion paer i must have subbed in the wrong values how much follow through marks will i get

for the last paper 2 question i subbed in the wrong value for the distance formula but continued on will i get follow through marks if so how much lol

i know its a bit much but you did say if u have any other questions....

thanks alot

you should only lose one or maximum two for the s.p question as long as your point of inflection is included in your graph correctly

for the log question, you'll probably lose a couple for not finding n and 1 for subbing in log10 instead of log2-you should still get 2 marks for finding k

for the integration-again if you just made the one mistake and done the rest right you should only lose 1 mark, 2 if they're really mean :P

and for the circle one you should only get one off as well.

hope that helps. :smile:
you should only lose one or maximum two for the s.p question as long as your point of inflection is included in your graph correctly

for the log question, you'll probably lose a couple for not finding n and 1 for subbing in log10 instead of log2-you should still get 2 marks for finding k

for the integration-again if you just made the one mistake and done the rest right you should only lose 1 mark, 2 if they're really mean :P

and for the circle one you should only get one off as well.

hope that helps. :smile:

i didnt actually do the graph question becos i was in such a rush, so ive automatically lost 3 marks :frown:

yeah i hope sqa arent too mean and still give me plenty of folow through marks

also do u think they will move up the percentage minimum for an A and if so by how much

thanks alot, best of luck in tour exams (if you're still a student)
i didnt actually do the graph question becos i was in such a rush, so ive automatically lost 3 marks :frown:

yeah i hope sqa arent too mean and still give me plenty of folow through marks

also do u think they will move up the percentage minimum for an A and if so by how much

thanks alot, best of luck in tour exams (if you're still a student)

difficult one-i would say there were a lot more straightforward questions this year although there were also quite a few were you could lose 7,9,10 marks if you didn't know how to do them. personally i think they'll keep the pass marks about the same as last year-maybe up or down by 2% at the most...that's just a guess though :tongue:

thanks, good luck in your exams too man :smile:
difficult one-i would say there were a lot more straightforward questions this year although there were also quite a few were you could lose 7,9,10 marks if you didn't know how to do them. personally i think they'll keep the pass marks about the same as last year-maybe up or down by 2% at the most...that's just a guess though :tongue:

thanks, good luck in your exams too man :smile:

Which year are you in and what subjects are you doing

im in 5th and doing higher maths, chem, physics
Which year are you in and what subjects are you doing

im in 5th and doing higher maths, chem, physics

i'm in 5th as well :biggrin: doing english, maths, chemistry, human biology and physics

quite good because a lot of the science stuff appears in more than 1 of the subjects-like nuclear reactions comes up in chemistry and physics...means less work for a lazy teenager :biggrin: XD

what are you wanting to do when you leave?
Reply 447
It's great that chem and physics overlap - nuclear reactions :biggrin:
Reply 448
i'm in 5th as well :biggrin: doing english, maths, chemistry, human biology and physics

Snap! How are you finding all that by the way? At the start of the year a couple of teachers thought it would be a bit much (3 sciences was the main concern), but I actually think it's okay :smile:
Original post by akalasa
Snap! How are you finding all that by the way? At the start of the year a couple of teachers thought it would be a bit much (3 sciences was the main concern), but I actually think it's okay :smile:

Not too bad. I'm pretty good at sciences and maths compared to other subjects so being able to pick 4 was a godsend XD i got the same talk from some of my teachers, although it looks like the workload for sciences is tiny compared to the workload for subjects like art :tongue: my friends always had to go into art after school and at lunch time this year to get stuff finished...don't envy them too much :tongue:

the compulsory english is never good though XD

how're you finding it? :smile:
Reply 450
Not too bad. I'm pretty good at sciences and maths compared to other subjects so being able to pick 4 was a godsend XD i got the same talk from some of my teachers, although it looks like the workload for sciences is tiny compared to the workload for subjects like art :tongue: my friends always had to go into art after school and at lunch time this year to get stuff finished...don't envy them too much :tongue:

the compulsory english is never good though XD

how're you finding it? :smile:

I actually think it's alright - I'm the same as you, good at sciences and maths. The only slight problem was english, but I think I managed to scrape an A in the exam - I have a bit of a dislike for subjective subjects - I'm very happy I'm not doing english next year :P And I know what you mean about art - it seems horrible (although I'm awful at art, so it may just seem really bad to me haha)

What subjects are you taking next year and what are you thinking of studying at uni?
Original post by akalasa
I actually think it's alright - I'm the same as you, good at sciences and maths. The only slight problem was english, but I think I managed to scrape an A in the exam - I have a bit of a dislike for subjective subjects - I'm very happy I'm not doing english next year :P And I know what you mean about art - it seems horrible (although I'm awful at art, so it may just seem really bad to me haha)

What subjects are you taking next year and what are you thinking of studying at uni?

Advanced higher maths, chemistry and biology and higher music (for the banter :tongue:)

hopefully medicine at uni but we'll see XD

you?
Reply 452
Advanced higher maths, chemistry and biology and higher music (for the banter :tongue:)

hopefully medicine at uni but we'll see XD

you?

Advanced higher chemistry, maths, biology and physics but there is a good possibility that i could drop physics or maths depending on the work load...

Yeah, I'm hoping to do medicine as well, ideally at Dundee but really it's any university that will accept me :P . Hope it all works out well for you :smile:
Original post by akalasa
Advanced higher chemistry, maths, biology and physics but there is a good possibility that i could drop physics or maths depending on the work load...

Yeah, I'm hoping to do medicine as well, ideally at Dundee but really it's any university that will accept me :P . Hope it all works out well for you :smile:

any uni that'll accept me for me as well XD

thanks and good luck to you too :smile:

quite good because a lot of the science stuff appears in more than 1 of the subjects-like nuclear reactions comes up in chemistry and physics...means less work for a lazy teenager :biggrin: XD

what are you wanting to do when you leave?

Business and Accounting at Edinburgh university.

Im gonna do higher biology next year,is it difficult or easy

What do you want to do and which uni do you want 2 go to
Business and Accounting at Edinburgh university.

Im gonna do higher biology next year,is it difficult or easy

What do you want to do and which uni do you want 2 go to

higher biology is alright :P there's no real skill involved, you just need to remember a tonne of knowledge and you'll do well XD

medicine at glasgow hopefully, but i would go anywhere that accepted me XD

good luck man :smile:
Hey could someone help me. I just finished Int2 in 4th year and I'm taking higher next year having already done Outcome 1 and 3 of higher. I went to this website: http://www.mathsrevision.com/index_files/PowerPointLessons.htm

1. Go down to the higher ones.
2. Open 'S5 Straight Line Lessons'
3. Go to slide 24.

Now the page has one question with 3 parts, but it appears the answer is on the page right after the question? Or maybe I have no idea?
Hi does any one know what are the cut off scores for higher maths 2011?
Reply 458
Original post by smartpants
Hi does any one know what are the cut off scores for higher maths 2011?

You would have to wait until after the results - when they're posted on the sqa website- but you could judge by looking at previous years cut offs on sqa :biggrin:
Reply 459
what did people get then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending