The Student Room Group

AQA S1 EXAM DISCUSSION THREAD of 20th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
can anyone remember that we had to draw two regression lines on figure 1 and figure 2. This is how i did it.
for figure 1, y intercept, as said, was -1. so i used the regression equation
when x = 10
z (or y)= -1+(0.5*10)=4
so i drew a line from (0,-1) to (10,4). WHICH GAVE A LINE WITH A POISTIVE CORRELATION

do you think that is right?

and for figure 2 i did the same thing but obviously with different values and the line HAD A NEGATIVE CORRELATION
Reply 61
Original post by Flint_09
can anyone remember that we had to draw two regression lines on figure 1 and figure 2. This is how i did it.
for figure 1, y intercept, as said, was -1. so i used the regression equation
when x = 10
z (or y)= -1+(0.5*10)=4
so i drew a line from (0,-1) to (10,4). WHICH GAVE A LINE WITH A POISTIVE CORRELATION

do you think that is right?

and for figure 2 i did the same thing but obviously with different values and the line HAD A NEGATIVE CORRELATION

yeah think its right, thats what i did anyway lol. Except i put little marks for each value of x, just confirming the line really, don't know why though, the first and end are all required to get the line
Could someone post the amount of marks each questions were worth if they remember it?
Cos I kinda think I failed :L

I did have Economics and FP1 the same day though but arghhh damn! I hate you Aqa!
Reply 63
could someone, by any chance, get a copy of the paper from their school and post the questions please?
Reply 64
I think i got most of my answers similar to Rob's. On the linear regression one, with the guy's shop i put the chance of rain on a particular day affecting the amount of money made haha, don't know if its right anyone else put that?
For the proving not mutually exclusive and not independent:
For not mutually exclusive i just wrote P(J n W) = 0.55 therefore both can happen at the same time and so are not mutually exclusive. For the not independent i said P(J n W) = 0.55 but P(J n W') and P(W n J') were different from each other and from P(J n W) (can't remember the values) and so the probability of her buying water is affected by the probability she buys juice and vice versa. Don't think it went too badly actually :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by skippy83
yeah think its right, thats what i did anyway lol. Except i put little marks for each value of x, just confirming the line really, don't know why though, the first and end are all required to get the line

thank you skippy!
Reply 66
Original post by matt_riley
I think i got most of my answers similar to Rob's. On the linear regression one, with the guy's shop i put the chance of rain on a particular day affecting the amount of money made haha, don't know if its right anyone else put that?
For not mutually exclusive i just wrote P(J n W) = 0.55 therefore both can happen at the same time and so are not mutually exclusive. For the not independent i said P(J n W) = 0.55 but P(J n W') and P(W n J') were different from each other and from P(J n W) (can't remember the values) and so the probability of her buying water is affected by the probability she buys juice and vice versa. Don't think it went too badly actually :smile:

i did similar to you, put a wordy answer to why not mutually exc, but then thought crap it says Show? it doesn't want words. but had no idea what else to do.

And I also said rain would affect sales.
Original post by matt_riley

I wrote something about temperature of water ^^
Warmer water, more people on the beach...???... profit !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending